Booked a W. Caribbean- got a Bahama cruise!

tgr1116

Plenty of time on a five day to stop at Costa Maya, Belize, Progreso and many other alternate ports. None of these are owned by RCCL but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.

The day after the hurricane it was quite evident the docks were toast. The explanation is that Voyager class ships are to big, the life boats cannot be used to tender. RCCL should have booked an alternate West Caribbean port immediately to keep with the spririt of the ports passengers paid for.

The water in Coco Cay will be colder than the West Caribbean, that is fact. The air temp has a greater chance of being cooler than the West Caribbean. Granted it could be 80 degrees but it could also be 80 in Orlando or Milwaukee for that matter. Where would you rather place your bets for warmth? Don't forget it is now possible you will not get into either port because you have to tender in. How many people have had Coco Cay cancelled because of weather ? I know I have more than once.

I'm sure the person who posted will have a great time because they are on a cruise as they originally stated. They did not need any of you to suggest they roll with it or go into the cruise with a positive attitude.

Address the issue at hand. How kind for some of you to give your tips on how to still enjoy the cruise. Your insight was so very original and I'm sure that the OP will now enjoy their cruise so much more.

RCCL could have gone to a West Caribbean port. They did not have to and they chose not to. Because they can does not make it right.Do not say they could not have found a West Caribbean port to accomodate the ship.

Of course this person will have a good time but not only could it have been better it could have been closer to what they had purchased.

I do not think the way RCCL handled this is unique to them but again that does not mean it was handled properly.

You are right on the mark! It is so easy for people to say just go with the flow and be happy when it is not their cruise being affected. The people who chastise others for being disappointed would probably be disappointed too,but it is not politically correct on these boards to express any frustration with the cruise line.

Hey,

Have just checked your Itinerary and you are going also to Grand Cayman,

so enjoy that! Yes, Changes happen, we all know that and if you want to trade, please, you can go to work and I'll take your cruise, no doubt about it.:D

Yes, both Port (GCM and Coco Cay) are Tender Ports and there's some Risk of missing it, but that's part of our everyday Life, sometimes it doesn't work as out as planned...but I do understand you had to vent, that's accepted...so, let's get and enjoy yourself!

Cheers,

Phil:)

Talk about patronizing.:rolleyes:

Maybe the reason they can not go to another port is that there are OTHER ships scheduled to those ports, and there will not be room. Ever think of that? How many ships do you think Belize, or Costa Maya can handle, at the same time?

This is not just about RCI going to their own island, ther are many other things to connsider. Thanks for the narrow-minded, un-informed opinion.

Oh, and by the way, we are talking about ONE day, out of a 5 day cruise, and as I mentioned earlier, this cruise will spend more time in the western Caribbean WATERS, than it will anywhere else.

I find it helpful to comprehend what I read before posting. Other ships have picked up the other ports I mentioned, that is why I mentioned them. RCCL had to know immediately Voyager class ships could not go to Cozumel. These other cruise lines had to wait and see if they were going to have to change ports. In case you still don't get it, RCCL could have been the first to re-route to one of these AVAILABLE ports. Also RCCL owns Labadee, much further south.

Oh, and by the way, when talking about ONE day, out of a 5 day cruise, that is 20%, this cruiser has just lost 20% of their western Caribbean cruise. How about RCCL just spend a day docked at Port Canaveral then head south. The cruise would still spend more time in the western Caribbean WATERS, then it will anywhere else.

Where was it ever even suggested the hurricane was RCCL's fault? What is their fault is not acting quickly enough and/or properly and re-routing to a port more in keeping with what the passengers booked.

How strange it is for so many to blindly defend Royal Caribbean. To even suggest they might have handled something in a poor way appears to be unacceptable to so many. The point is Royal Caribbean could have chosen a port more in keeping with a western Caribbean cruise but for whatever reason chose not to. They were not forced to but chose to.

Of course this is the only topic on these boards to ever have been repeated. You never see the flip flop, chair hog, or children acting improperly threads repeated or the same people responding to them.

Why get heated about this?

The OP wanted to vent! Well he/she has.

The OP asked the question if this has happened to anybody else. It was answered and the answer was Yes it has.

The OP is done with RCCL and back to Carnival.

It´s his/her decision and it should be OK for all of us here. Well at least it is for me as I don´t care which line he/she cruises. So as I said earlier Good luck and enjoy Carnival.

I find it helpful to comprehend what I read before posting. Other ships have picked up the other ports I mentioned, that is why I mentioned them. RCCL had to know immediately Voyager class ships could not go to Cozumel. These other cruise lines had to wait and see if they were going to have to change ports. In case you still don't get it, RCCL could have been the first to re-route to one of these AVAILABLE ports. Also RCCL owns Labadee, much further south.

Oh, and by the way, when talking about ONE day, out of a 5 day cruise, that is 20%, this cruiser has just lost 20% of their western Caribbean cruise. How about RCCL just spend a day docked at Port Canaveral then head south. The cruise would still spend more time in the western Caribbean WATERS, then it will anywhere else.

Where was it ever even suggested the hurricane was RCCL's fault? What is their fault is not acting quickly enough and/or properly and re-routing to a port more in keeping with what the passengers booked.

How strange it is for so many to blindly defend Royal Caribbean. To even suggest they might have handled something in a poor way appears to be unacceptable to so many. The point is Royal Caribbean could have chosen a port more in keeping with a western Caribbean cruise but for whatever reason chose not to. They were not forced to but chose to.

Of course this is the only topic on these boards to ever have been repeated. You never see the flip flop, chair hog, or children acting improperly threads repeated or the same people responding to them.

Mark290? You are very cool. :)

Ok Mark, here is the itin from RCI. Note the comment at the bottom....hmm....

DayPort *** ArriveDepartActivity

18-Dec Port Canaveral, Florida 5:00 PMBoarding

19-Dec At Sea

20-Dec George Town, Grand Cayman 10:30 AM 4:00 PMTendered

21-Dec At Sea

22-Dec Cococay, Bahamas 9:00 AM 5:00 PMTendered

23-Dec Port Canaveral, Florida 8:30 AM Departure

*** All itineraries are subject to change without notice. Please confirm your itinerary on the Review page before purchasing your cruise.

If, as you say, Mark, they could have just booked another port, how would they get there? Levitate? Fly? It would take a day to get to any of the ports you mentioned. Leaving Grand Cayman, going to either Ocho Rios, or Labadee would take a little more than an over night cruise, then they would be too far from PC to get back there on the 23rd. Belize is probably the only port they could have gone to, and as you can see,(from the schedule below) it's packed that day. Costa maya is also a contrived port with not that much for, let's say, aprox. 8000 people to do.(from the 3 ships there that day)

Let's pretend that you got another port. The 21st. would have been another sea day, or the most of it anyway. Then on the 22nd, you tendered, or docked at either Belize, Costa Maya, Labadee, or Ocho Rios. Then you leave the night of the 22nd, to head back to PC. You wouldn't even make it to the Florida Straights by the 23rd. I could be off a bit, but not by much.

As far as your theory that they should have booked another port, well, below is/was the port schedule for those islands. It's accurate as to what ships were booked where, so you can see how many were already scheduled for those stops.

The logic has not escaped me. Sorry you don't get it.

Belize.....

Royal CaribbeanLegend Of The Seas Belize City, Belize12/21/20057:00 AM5:00 PM

Norwegian Cruise LineNorwegian Dream Belize City, Belize12/21/20057:00 AM4:00 PMShip

Norwegian Cruise LineNorwegian Sun Belize City, Belize12/21/20057:00 AM6:00 PMShip

Costa Maya.....

Disney Cruise LineDisney Magic Costa Maya (Majahual)12/21/200510:30 AM10:30 PM

Royal CaribbeanExplorer Of The Seas Costa Maya (Majahual)12/21/200510:00 AM7:00 PM

Carnival Cruise LinesCarnival Glory Costa Maya (Majahual)12/21/20058:00 AM5:00 PM

Interesting that there were so many ships booked for Coz that day......the Mariner was on this sched, but I removed it, as I think this is probably more accurate now. So if this flies, there are three ships that will be tendered that day...wow...think all of the tenders/ferry's can handle another one?? How much time would there be left to enjoy the day tendering 7000 people off of 3 ships?

Royal CaribbeanEnchantment Of The Seas Cozumel, Mexico12/21/200510:00 AM7:00 PM

Royal CaribbeanSplendour Of The Seas Cozumel, Mexico12/21/20057:00 AM7:00 PM

Royal CaribbeanRhapsody Of The Seas Cozumel, Mexico12/21/20057:00 AM7:00 PM

I rest my case.

I find it helpful to comprehend what I read before posting.

I don't think you do. See my post above........

Oh, and for the record, I don't think anyone is defending RCI. I think we are all defending that itineraries change, and there isn't squat anyone can do about it. Mine changed, incase you rolled right by that one. I chose to enjoy wherever we went. Was I happy about missing Coz? No, but I accepted the change, because I understood it.

Plenty of time on a five day to stop at Costa Maya, Belize, Progreso and many other alternate ports. None of these are owned by RCCL but I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.

The day after the hurricane it was quite evident the docks were toast. The explanation is that Voyager class ships are to big, the life boats cannot be used to tender. RCCL should have booked an alternate West Caribbean port immediately to keep with the spririt of the ports passengers paid for.

The water in Coco Cay will be colder than the West Caribbean, that is fact. The air temp has a greater chance of being cooler than the West Caribbean. Granted it could be 80 degrees but it could also be 80 in Orlando or Milwaukee for that matter. Where would you rather place your bets for warmth? Don't forget it is now possible you will not get into either port because you have to tender in. How many people have had Coco Cay cancelled because of weather ? I know I have more than once.

I'm sure the person who posted will have a great time because they are on a cruise as they originally stated. They did not need any of you to suggest they roll with it or go into the cruise with a positive attitude.

Address the issue at hand. How kind for some of you to give your tips on how to still enjoy the cruise. Your insight was so very original and I'm sure that the OP will now enjoy their cruise so much more.

RCCL could have gone to a West Caribbean port. They did not have to and they chose not to. Because they can does not make it right.Do not say they could not have found a West Caribbean port to accomodate the ship.

Of course this person will have a good time but not only could it have been better it could have been closer to what they had purchased.

I do not think the way RCCL handled this is unique to them but again that does not mean it was handled properly.

All the ports you mention are further away than Cozumel and ships don't go that fast. Do you know if any of the ships diverted to any of those ports are sailing back to Port Canaveral in one at sea day? I wouldn't be surprised if Coz is about their distance limit.

I would love it if they would substitute Ochos Rios with CocoCay. I love those days kicking back on the private islands relaxing in a hammock with a fruity cocktail in hand. I do enjoy Cozumel and can't wait to see it on Carnival Triumph in February, but would be happy with any island far away from the snow and cold here in Plymouth, MA. I am sure you will enjoy your day on CocoCay. I know I would. I do understand your concern about warm temps in the Bahamas. We were in Freeport, Bahamas, the week before Xmas one year and found the temps very hot--mid 80's. January can be the coolest month in the Bahamas, but still is at least mid 70's .

I guess those of us who book the cruise for the PORTS feel like we get belittled when we're angry at an itinerary change. Yes of course RCL has the *right* to substitute a port at any time but that does not mean people won't get angry about it. They have a *right* to do just about anything, doesn't mean they *should*.

Just because you booked a specific cabin or even a certain ship, RCI doesn't guarantee you'll get it. For that matter, they don't even guarantee you'll get a cruise at all as evidenced by all the people unceremoniously booted off the Maj and Sov for those band cruises this year. And too bad for them that they're out a few hundred dollars in airline fees and priceline hotels.

I wonder what would happen if one of those folks who book cruises just because a specific cabin (that super-dooper-aft-corner-suite-with-the-giant-balcony) is available finds out 3 weeks before sailing that RCI put them in another cabin in the same category for whatever reason. With an apparrent lack of interest in their angst. Would they be happy? WOuld people be so quick to say "Get over it!"?

I think what these people want is for RCI to at least pretend they are sorry and not to get belittled and made to feel stupid for being upset at RCI.

Just my .02

Glad they were wise enough to save someone's life instead of a port.

Just my 2 cents worth, I've been on 4 cruises and have lost a port on three of them. It happens, the last one was 2 weeks ago on Explorer of the Seas. We lost San Juan after we had to double back towards Nassau for a helicopter medivac of an ill passanger.

<<<*** All itineraries are subject to change without notice. Please confirm your itinerary on the Review page before purchasing your cruise.>>>

Pretty obvious because they did change it. As I stated because they can do what they did does not make it right. Not bad for the bottom line either, 3000

people spending money on an island the cruise line owns. Not a bad business decision.

<<<If, as you say, Mark, they could have just booked another port, how would they get there? Levitate? Fly? >>>

How about cruise? From RCCL web site: "Cruising Speed: 22 knots."That is about 25mph CRUISING speed, not max speed. Look at a map.

<<<Belize is probably the only port they could have gone to, and as you can see,(from the schedule below) it's packed that day. Costa maya is also a contrived port with not that much for, let's say, aprox. 8000 people to do.(from the 3 ships there that day)

>>>

Packed? Grand Cayman went from 7 ships to 10 the day Mariner is there because other cruise lines re-scheduled Grand Cayman after the hurricane. Contrived port or not, 10 seems to be a lot more than 3. As I stated the ports I mentioned are only a few of the options available.

<<<Let's pretend that you got another port. The 21st. would have been another sea day, or the most of it anyway. Then on the 22nd, you tendered, or docked at either Belize, Costa Maya, Labadee, or Ocho Rios. Then you leave the night of the 22nd, to head back to PC. You wouldn't even make it to the Florida Straights by the 23rd. I could be off a bit, but not by much.>>>

No need to pretend, look at the facts. IFyou stay in port until 7:00pm, as was scheduled for Cozumel, this leaves about 37 hours to get back to Port Canaveral.

Mariner can cover 1000 miles easily in that time. I think you are off by more than a bit.

Since itineraries can be changed this opens up more options. Port, port, and then two sea days could also be done.

<<<Oh, and for the record, I don't think anyone is defending RCI. I think we are all defending that itineraries change, and there isn't squat anyone can do about it. Mine changed, incase you rolled right by that one. I chose to enjoy wherever we went. Was I happy about missing Coz? No, but I accepted the change, because I understood it.>>>

No need to defend itineraries changing, of course they do. The point is this itinerary could have changed in a way that would have still given passengers something similar to what they paid for. What would you have liked me to say about your itinerary change? Sorry to have rolled by it.

Who is not accepting an itinerary change? Certainly you accept it and enjoy the cruise. It is a cruise not root canal. The point is it could have been closer to what was originally paid for.

<<<I rest my case.>>>

OK, enjoyed the conversation. Take care.

Thank you all for posting... both negative and positive! As I stated... I would have been just fine with another W. Caribbean port. But you see, I just went on much cheaper Bahama cruise last year and was hoping to see new ports, therefore opted to spend the additional money and experience a larger ship this time. However, RCI DID chose to substitute the Bahamas for a W. Caribbean port, only ATER they waited until it was too late to secure another W. Caribbean port! We were STILL sceduled to go to Cozumel remember... then they changed us to Bahamas, and THEN re-rerouted other ships into Cozumel the day we were originally scheduled!!! That's where I'm confused... Anyway, I'm still excited about Grand Cayman (provided we actually get there, LOL) and HOPE the weather in CocoCay is above 70 degrees! This is my families Christmas present this year, so please understand my frustration with the Bahamas! How would you feel if you got the same Christmas present 2 years in a row? I NEVER blamed RCI for the hurricane, only for their choice of replacement ports for my W. Caribbean cruise. And as far as customer service, it has been MY experience so far that Carnival went above and beyond during a similar situation, not just for me but for every passenger.

I am already getting the "roll with it" attitude from RCI, but honestly I was not wanting it from these boards too! Those who understand my frustration... thank you for the kind words. :) Those who flamed me for expressing my frustration... I only hope this doesn't happen to you so you won't have to feel my frustration!;)

:) See you on the Mariner!

Thank you all for posting... both negative and positive! As I stated... I would have been just fine with another W. Caribbean port. But you see, I just went on much cheaper Bahama cruise last year and was hoping to see new ports, therefore opted to spend the additional money and experience a larger ship this time. However, RCI DID chose to substitute the Bahamas for a W. Caribbean port, only ATER they waited until it was too late to secure another W. Caribbean port! We were STILL sceduled to go to Cozumel remember... then they changed us to Bahamas, and THEN re-rerouted other ships into Cozumel the day we were originally scheduled!!! That's where I'm confused... Anyway, I'm still excited about Grand Cayman (provided we actually get there, LOL) and HOPE the weather in CocoCay is above 70 degrees! This is my families Christmas present this year, so please understand my frustration with the Bahamas! How would you feel if you got the same Christmas present 2 years in a row? I NEVER blamed RCI for the hurricane, only for their choice of replacement ports for my W. Caribbean cruise. And as far as customer service, it has been MY experience so far that Carnival went above and beyond during a similar situation, not just for me but for every passenger.

I am already getting the "roll with it" attitude from RCI, but honestly I was not wanting it from these boards too! Those who understand my frustration... thank you for the kind words. :) Those who flamed me for expressing my frustration... I only hope this doesn't happen to you so you won't have to feel my frustration!;)

I think the one thing that has been lost in all of this, is that at this time, they are not letting the Voyager class ships back into Cozumel That's really the issue here. Smaller ships will be going there only for a while, the way I understand it.

Let's not forget that RCI was the first, and only, as far as I know, to send the Enchantment back to Coz, with humanitarian aid, after Wilma went through, so I think they deserve a break in regards to changing the scheduled stops. I doubt they are the uncaring company some people try to make them out to be. I don't think Carnival did that, did they??

For you, I would say, once you board the Mariner, you will find that the ship IS the destination.(assuming you've never been on it before...) Have a great cruise anyway.:)

I'm with you,tgr116! Three ships is not a lot for Costa Maya. I've been there with five ships. As for it being a contrived port at least it's a certain warm weather port with at least some indoor shops for rainy weather unlike Coco Cay. Also in Costa Maya if people want to get away from the "contrived port" they can go to Majahaul or take a bus to the Mayan ruins. I don't believe that is an option on Coco Cay.I'm still very excited to be going on my cruise I just wish I was going to two Caribbean ports. Oh,one more thing-Costa Maya is a docking port so if we were going there at least we would be assured of one port!

I'm with you,tgr116! Three ships is not a lot for Costa Maya. I've been there with five ships. As for it being a contrived port at least it's a certain warm weather port with at least some indoor shops for rainy weather unlike Coco Cay. Also in Costa Maya if people want to get away from the "contrived port" they can go to Majahaul or take a bus to the Mayan ruins. I don't believe that is an option on Coco Cay.I'm still very excited to be going on my cruise I just wish I was going to two Caribbean ports. Oh,one more thing-Costa Maya is a docking port so if we were going there at least we would be assured of one port!

Great points. However some of this seems to be counter to the extreme wisdom and thorough research of 1Corona4u.

Great points. However some of this seems to be counter to the extreme wisdom and thorough research of 1Corona4u.

Hey, at least I took the time to do the research, not just pulled stuff outta by butt. And I did do even more research as to what ports would be possible, given then nautical mileage, and speed of the ship, so if you would like me to embarrass you further, I can post that too....;)

I think the one thing that has been lost in all of this, is that at this time, they are not letting the Voyager class ships back into Cozumel That's really the issue here. Smaller ships will be going there only for a while, the way I understand it.

Let's not forget that RCI was the first, and only, as far as I know, to send the Enchantment back to Coz, with humanitarian aid, after Wilma went through, so I think they deserve a break in regards to changing the scheduled stops. I doubt they are the uncaring company some people try to make them out to be. I don't think Carnival did that, did they??

For you, I would say, once you board the Mariner, you will find that the ship IS the destination.(assuming you've never been on it before...) Have a great cruise anyway.:)

Sorry, but you are incorrect. The sailing of the Mariner prior to ours IS going to Cozumel as are the ones AFTER our sailing! However, I'm sure you are correct about the Mariner being a destination in itself ...can't wait to see it for myself!

To answer this question I saw brought up. As a usual non tender port, Cozumel doens't have several tenders for the cruise company to rent as an Island like Grand Cayman would (Because, of course, GC Is a tender port).

The ships have to use thier own tenders (Lifeboats that double as tenders). However, the Voayger class does not have any lifeboats that double as tenders, just plain ole lifeboats. THerefore, not able to go to Cozumel until dock repair/reconstruction is complete

Plus cozumel has a website where you can see the ship schedule for that week, I have yet to see a voyager class ship on that list, so where you got the info about the prior cruise going there, I don't know. (Just something to think about)

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/cruiseships/ - Website. It is also showing that 2 piers are partially open now????????? Can anyone FOR SURE confirm or deny. (Confirm = having been there)

I'm sure you can bring it up with RCI people when you get home. Maybe if you complian enough you'll get some form of a discount. :D

I'm surprised about the customer service comment - you're one of the first I've heard from who like Carnival better than RCCL.

Be grateful you're on the Mariner. Sure, your cruise has been screwed up but you're on a Voyager-class ship - you have so much to do!

Cheers,

To answer this question I saw brought up. As a usual non tender port, Cozumel doens't have several tenders for the cruise company to rent as an Island like Grand Cayman would (Because, of course, GC Is a tender port).

The ships have to use thier own tenders (Lifeboats that double as tenders). However, the Voayger class does not have any lifeboats that double as tenders, just plain ole lifeboats. THerefore, not able to go to Cozumel until dock repair/reconstruction is complete

Plus cozumel has a website where you can see the ship schedule for that week, I have yet to see a voyager class ship on that list, so where you got the info about the prior cruise going there, I don't know. (Just something to think about)

Thanks for the info!

Hopefully Cozumel will be up and runing in June.

I just updated that post with the website http://www.cozumelinsider.com/cruiseships/

there it is again. It does show 2 piers open, or partially open, but I haven't gotten anyone to confirm or deny that they are able to dock on a previous post that I wrote, so either they have done some minor repairs to get pier open for a while, or that is where they are tendering people in to.

. . .

Whatever.

I am sailing on the Freedom. I have a question. Do you think Cozmel will be up and running assumeing that a hurricane does not hit again next year. By all means I will be happy going to any port. I am not looking into doing things in any port and getting my hopes up at all. I am just wondering if anyone that has been there lately thinks Cozmel will be able to handle the Freedom next year.

Archived