Change to non refundable later?

Regguy

Longtime NCL looking at our first RCI. Very unfamiliar with everything.

I am looking at a winter (in the USA) 2018 Australia cruise. I cannot afford to fly all of us using cash, so will need to find plane tickets for at least a couple of us using miles. But bookings for air don't open for a few more months. So I can't commit the deposit yet on the cruise.

If I book refundable cabins now, can I change later to nonrefundable (if before final payment) and keep the same cabins? On NCL, this would be a cancel and rebook, under whatever the terms of the booking at that time, but there is never a problem keeping cabins. Is it roughly the same for RCI?

I understand, of course that prices may go up on nonrefundable cabins in the meantime in which case I would just keep what I have. Many thanks!

Yes, you can change to a non-refundable, but you would not want to if the price has gone up. Additionally, with a non-refundable if the price is lower, you would have to pay the full deposit, i.e., $900. If you should cancel for any reason, you would forfeit $200, and the remainder $700 would not be refunded -- you would be issued a Future Cruise Credit to be used within one year. If you don't, you would forfeit that $700.

From what I am seeing, the difference between the two fares seems to be $200.

On NCL, this would be a cancel and rebook, under whatever the terms of the booking at that time, but there is never a problem keeping cabins. Is it roughly the same for RCI?!

No, on RCI you simply modify the existing booking keeping the cabin and paying the prevailing rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums