Why Such A High Deposit?

Crism

I paid $98 for 2. 10 night repo cruise from NYC. Fully refundable.
Not even sure what to say about this, as it flies in the face of other postings.

My last sailing was 9 nights, 2 yrs ago, and checking back, the deposit was high, as far as I am concerned -- $500 (6 months out, and a bit less than 1/3rd of the total). Didn't realize it went up from there for a longer cruise (looking at 11 days, thus, $900).

Thanks to everyone for links and input. NCL has a 50pp deposit for February as a promo, refundable (will they be raising their deposits, too, after Feb? ). I don't like it when I book a hotel in Europe and I am given the cancel vs no cancellation prices, so, obviously, I don't like it that cruise ships are doing it with deposits.

Celebrity will be having their $25pp deposit over Presidents Weekend, any length. Book something with them and then you can change it to RCCL.

Interesting. Is there somewhere on their website I can read about this further? Not saying I don't believe you but I would like to gather further information.

Not if you booked a cruise on board. Used to be $100 pp, until recently. They now charge full deposit on any booking, no matter where you book it.

Gwen [emoji3]

We just booked at next cruise, while on board liberty last week, for Symphony next January and it was 100pp deposit. It was non refundable, as we are going with a big group of people(so we know we won't change) but still was only $200 total.

Found a TA that is offering no deposits on RC. Down side they charge $25 non refundable fee and $100 cancellation fee. Price was one if the cheapest I have seen...I do not usually use TA that charge a cancellation fee but I am not planning on cancelling. We are trying to pay off our cruise for this year and could not afford putting $500 deposit on a cruise for 2019 plus I will get airline miles for booking with them.

I am pretty sure I used this same T/A for our June 2018 Harmony booking. They cover up to $500 of the deposit. I just booked a suite for March 2019 on NCL with the same T/A. Deposit was $1,500, they paid the first $500 and I had put the other 1K.

Hey everyone,

I'm curious if you are all seeing the same kind of thing that I'm seeing. We are looking at booking an 8 night Adventure cruise next year, and Royal is asking for a $500 deposit. That's HALF of the entire cruise price for an inside room. Are the days of $100-200 deposits long gone?

I also noticed that. I was looking to book my 50th Anniversary cruise for March 2020, but when I saw that high deposit cost, I did not book. I currently have one cruise booked for 2019, and several other trips in the works that I couldn’t spare $500 right now for that. I guess I will book in March 2019–one year out of cruise—and hope there is still enough cabins that can accommodate my large family, many that will require a cabin that sleeps at least 5.

Sent from my iPad using Forums