Formal Night Attire in Blu

Nana57

Do the men who dine in Blu on formal nights need a jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No he does not and there is no formal night anymore, just chic night which means almost anything goes as long as your "date" approves. ;)

No jacket is necessary but the majority of people dress up a little. Most men had collared shirts and maybe a sports jacket. Some jackets and ties. Very few if any tuxedos. Just look presentable.

I disagree with posters that say evening chic does not apply to Luminae of Blu. It depends upon how you choose to read the guidelines.

However, that aside, we always dine in Blue and on evening chic nights we always see a smattering of Tuxes/white dinner jackets and nearly everyone else either in a suit or in a sport jacket. Few with just short sleeves.

That has been the case every single time the past three years. Others will not doubt say they have experienced something else. When I travel they are at times and itineraries that skew older (not many in the 20-35 age group).

We also dress up a little on "chic" nights, even in Blu, because dinner is just part of the evening, you'll be doing different things all evening long, and most people will be a little more dressed up than usual nights. No more tuxes or even suits/jackets, unless you want to wear them (and you won't be alone, just in the minority).

I disagree with posters that say evening chic does not apply to Luminae of Blu. It depends upon how you choose to read the guidelines.

).

Specifically how you choose to interprete the term "main dining room"

The FAQs are clear that Evening Chic only applies to the "main dining room"

Interestingly lower case, so I suppose an interpretation could be that it is the main dining room that you are assigned as a result of your cabin.

Specifically how you choose to interprete the term "main dining room"

The FAQs are clear that Evening Chic only applies to the "main dining room"

Interestingly lower case, so I suppose an interpretation could be that it is the main dining room that you are assigned as a result of your cabin.

That's how interpret it. The main dining room that you are assigned to. Not the MDR.

That's how interpret it. The main dining room that you are assigned to. Not the MDR.

Not true, they have always said on the web site specialty restaurants including Blu are smart casual. You can interpret anyway you wish but that has never been Celebrity's interpretation.

Not true, they have always said on the web site specialty restaurants including Blu are smart casual. You can interpret anyway you wish but that has never been Celebrity's interpretation.

I absolutely disagree. It also doesn't make sense that Blu and Luminae would be excluded. Also, passenger in general observe the dressier days in both venues. I believe that you (and others) are reading the guidelines incorrectly. That is my opinion and I haven't read anything that says different. Nor have I had anyone put forth a makes sense argument. Unless there is something I don't know, you are not a Celebrity spokesperson and you there fore can't state what their intention is. We all know the website is poorly constructed and poorly worded in many cases. You are free to believe as you like.

However, that aside, we always dine in Blue and on evening chic nights we always see a smattering of Tuxes/white dinner jackets and nearly everyone else either in a suit or in a sport jacket. Few with just short sleeves.

That has been the case every single time the past three years. Others will not doubt say they have experienced something else. When I travel they are at times and itineraries that skew older (not many in the 20-35 age group).

So is it safe to say, that in BLU, the dress code does not change on Evening Chic nights from any other night in BL?

So is it safe to say, that in BLU, the dress code does not change on Evening Chic nights from any other night in BL?

The dress code for Blu and all the other Restaurants is smart Casual. The Main Dining Room with different names on the ships is the only dining room where the dress code varies and here is the proof.

If you go to the below link it lists all restaurants in the fleet including Blu. It does not include Luminiae which is in a different area. All the restaurants including Blu have the dress code listed as Smart Casual. The Main Dining room is the only restaurant listed in which the web site states the dress code varies. This accounts for the smart casual and evening chic only in that restaurant.

By the way Fish Lover, this has been the policy since long before you joined this board. No one has ever expressed your argument.

Discussion ended with this proof and precedent.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/eat-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes

Edited by dkjretired

That's what they used to say, but I've just reread Celebrity's UK FAQs and I can see no mention of Blu and Luminae in the context of Evening Chic. It's even a bit unclear on whether it now extends to some of the speciality restaurants (Sushi seems excluded)

Quoting..

"The ship's prevailing dress code during all evening hours is 'smart casual and above'. On Evening Chic nights, suitable alternatives, such as casual dining, sushi café, pizza/pasta and in-room dining, for guests who choose not to participate in Evening Chic dining. Evening Chic dress code standards will be enforced in the main dining room on all Evening Chic nights. Smart casual and above dress code standards will be enforced in the main dining and speciality restaurants, and in the Celebrity Theatre during all other evening hours."

It doesn't seem particularly well worded.

However, when you look at the individual restaurant descriptions (UK site) it appears to be clearer

Main Dining Room

whats-included-kids-clubs-icon.jpg

Dress Code: Generally smart casual, and Evening Chic attire on Evening Chic nights

Blu / Luminae and each of the speciality restaurants

whats-included-kids-clubs-icon.jpg

Dress Code: Smart casual

So, i've flipped back to my original view Evening Chic only applies to the Main Dining Room (MDR) and it is optional elsewhere (including Blu and Luminae)

I'm even less sure what Generally smart casual means :-)

Good old Celebrity website and communications- to think people get university degrees in writing this stuff. Have you read the guff on the new Eden restaurant - Edenists and experimental cooking - the only time a cruise ship menu is experimental is day 1 , its then seems to be locked in for years- spring rolls, beet salad and prime rib on day 1.....

Edited by DYKWIA

Yes, company policy has been that Blu and Luminae are smart casual every night. While many choose to dress nicer in these venues during evening chic nights it is neither required, expected nor done by everybody.

Aqua Class--with dining in Blu--was first introduced when Solstice [first of the five Solstice-Class ships] went into service in November 2008...

I first sailed with Celebrity--coincidently, on Solstice in AquaClass--starting in March 2009 and have since completed 17 Aqua Class cruises/215 AquaClass cruise days [about half my current totals with Celebrity and Azamara]...

Initially, formal nights were observed in Blu... But I distinctly recall [unfortunately, the Cruise Critic search function doesn't go back that far; there was much discussion here at the time] that Blu went to full-time Smart Casual sometime during the fourth quarter of 2010 or effective 1 January 2012... I celebrated not having to pack a tux/suit or worry about related airline luggage weight restrictions for a South America sailing on Infinity [Aqua Class/Blu had just been added to that Millennium-Class ship during dry dock weeks before; I think she was the first of the four] that departed Santiago on 15 January 2012...