Behind the Scenes Ship Tour

Tantsee

Looking for opinions from those who have taken this tour, particularly on the Equinox. Did you feel it was worth the $99 price tag? What part did you enjoy the most? How many passengers were on your tour? Anything else noteworthy? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looking for opinions from those who have taken this tour, particularly on the Equinox. Did you feel it was worth the $99 price tag? What part did you enjoy the most? How many passengers were on your tour? Anything else noteworthy? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It cost more than that when we did it on the Eclipse a couple of years ago, but it included a lunch in Murano at the end...is that still a part of the tour?

We enjoyed it very much, found the part that involved the staff working areas like " I-95", food & beverage storage areas, staff lounges, engine room and bridge very interesting. It is quite a comprehensive tour and if you've never done one it's worthwhile.

We did this tour this past April onboard Reflection with my grandchildren 13 and 10. Bridge, Engine Room, laundry, provisions, galley and crew area I95 corridor all were very interesting with a crew member from each area explaining how each operation functions. I feel it was well worth the $99 charge.

How do you sign up for this behind the scenes tour?:)

There's an option on your reservation page.

I have a greater appreciation for the crew members behind the scenes. The amount of food items and liquor in storage was overwhelming. And what it takes to be certain the ship is adequately stocked for each sailing. Also in the laundry area, no windows and very hot. But, each and every crew member had a smile on their face that grew even bigger when we thanked them for the work they do.

How do you sign up for this behind the scenes tour?:)

Should be listed on your excursions on your cruise planner under Sea Days.

Having said that there is an advert for this every time I open my celebrity page.

We did one a Reflection two years ago which included lunch in Tuscan Grill with wine pairing. Two officers ate at our table. However, the price was more like $150 and appeared more extensive than the $99 description. I noted on other cruises there was a $99 option which did not include lunch.

Just so people won't be disappointed, (unless things have changed recently) they usually do not include an actual engine room on those tours, but only the engine control room.

Celebrity has long offered free separate tours of the bridge, the galley, the engine control room, and the theater backstage and down below.

They typically offer everyone a glass of sparkling wine or juice and chocolate covered strawberries, or similar snack, when you take those tours.

Then they learned that some passengers would be willing to pay excursion prices to take those tours, so they combined them all into one longer tour, added on some extras, and started charging for it.

But they do still offer the free separate tours.

They just don't promote them, except for the assembly line type galley tours that seem to be offered to everyone on almost every cruise.

The other short, free individual tours are now mainly by invitation, usually to suite passengers or higher level Captain's Club members.

(It is another easy way for them to offer an extra "perk" to make people feel special that doesn't cost them anything.)

If you are in a suite and those free tours are not automatically offered to you but you want to take any of them, just let the Michael's Club concierge know.

If you are not in a suite and do not want to pay for the longer, combined tour but are interested in touring a particular area, you could try asking the Captain's Club host or asking at Guest Relations, where they sometimes have sign up sheets for people who want to tour a certain area of the ship.

You may be turned down and advised to take the expensive, combination tour, but you may be pleasantly surprised by being included in one of the free group tours if you let them know that you have a special interest in seeing a particular area of the ship.

Also, we found that when we get into conversation with one of the ship's officers, they sometimes will invite us to visit their specific area.

Edited by varoo