Trip insurance

Techycruiser

Hello! Yes I put USA as well because it starts in the US (I'm guessing the one you are going on does anyway). You can always call them to ask but that is what they told me to do when I had that question before too.

Thanks for the quick reply as usual. :D:D

Yes we are sailing out of Galveston in Feb. I want to do an estimate of cost so your info helps a lot

I have filed claims twice with Travel Guard and once with Travel Safe. Both are reputable companies and in all three instances I got all my money back. BUT - and this may or may not matter to everyone - there was significantly less documentation, medical records, etc... required with Travel Safe. At least that was my experience. Getting everything together to file a claim can be laborious, so to me, the less work required the better.

I was also in the camp of not realizing the need for insurance. When I became aware I determined that I was fine with the trip cancellation coverage provided by my credit card and was comfortable self-insuring any shortfalls from that.

Medical, OTOH, was a bigger deal. Since I already had 2 cruises booked for the upcoming 12 months, with another likely (and, now booked) within that period I opted to go with an annual travel health policy. Pricey up front (390 for wife & I) but it works out, in our case, to 65 each, per cruise, which I thought was pretty reasonable. We went with Geoblue, through insuremytrip, both of which had excellent reviews. With any luck I'll never have to find out if the reviews were accurate.

It's easy to forget that the most important part of travel insurance is not finding the company that offers the lowest price or the simplest purchase but the rather one that comes through when you have a claim.

We experienced outstanding service last year when we had a claim with Travel Guard. Key was contacting them as soon as we realized there was a problem. We called them right from the Canadian emergency room where I was being treated, their medical department was able to speak directly with the ER doctor to clarify several issues, and--by faxing documents back and forth--the claim was mostly complete and had all the needed signatures by the time I was discharged. Additional benefit to contacting them early: TG not only paid for our emergency trip home but made all the arrangements for us including a business-class seat for me, the patient.

We have always insured our trips, but any lingering doubts we might have had after that about the value of insurance would have been swept away by our travel companions' experience this spring.

Our friend had to be evacuated from the Galapagos Islands by air ambulance, first to Quito and then home to California. Cost of the air ambulance alone would have exceeded $100,000--not to mention translator, hospital in Quito, and a multitude of other expenses that were fully covered.

Without insurance, that would have been a financial disaster. As it is, he is rapidly recovering, and we are planning our next adventure together.

Edited by Hroswitha
Typo