Live From Brilliance. 29th Aug-10th Sept. W. Med

Thank you for your posts and pics. I will be on the Brilliance on Sept. 22. This will be my first time to Europe. My main question at this point is regarding Euros. Do we need to get and is it better to get at bank before leaving home or on ship?

Thank you

We will be leaving home tomorrow, flying to Barcelona [emoji633] and boarding Brilliance on Tuesday. Now that we have 'free roaming' on my mobile within the EU I've paid for some extra data for a month so will be able to post from that whilst ashore.

We also get 4x24 hr lots of Wifi onboard due to our Diamond + perks so will use that at sea, especially when DH needs to check the cricket scores. [emoji6][emoji967]

The itinerary is

Villefranche

Livorno

Civitivecchia

Salerno

Sea Day

Venice (overnight)

Ravenna

Kotor

2 sea days

Barcelona

I have written a Live blog before, once on Rhapsody in 2015 and once on Azamara.

We are an English couple, have visited all the ports before, except Ravenna, have booked 3 largish group tours with an independent company plus one small group tour with fellow CC posters.

I'm afraid I don't have the gift of writing amusingly but I love reading these blogs and travelling vicariously along, so I hope you'll bear with me.

Cinnamon. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Cinnamon for this review. I always enjoy your reviews and the details you provide! I was particularly delighted to see this one, as it's a consideration for us in the next couple of years.

To Idasaro who asked about Euros - you will need them in Europe. We usually get some before we leave so we're not racing around as soon as we arrive looking for a machine, but then use bank machines as and when needed. Just check with your bank to see which network you belong to. Much easier, and better rates.

Pretty nice view to which to wake up.

17b1924b554201fd053dcaecaf88d8a2.jpg

Yes, you need Euros. Don't get them onboard, they charge a hefty percentage.

Toiletries are very limited. Bar soap in shower and at sink plus a dispenser in the shower contains 'shampoo'. Personally, I bring small quantities of shampoo and shower gel.

For anyone interested I have the name, number and email of our independent guide who was very good, Giacomo.

For those who want a beach day, there is a gate right by the security tent through towards the beach. About a 10-15 minute walk I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks George, yes we went there last year so are fully prepared.

Final thoughts on tours.

Today, 'Bologna on your own' with the ship was $69 (£53).

A comprehensive tour was $197 (£150).

Our tour, with just 10 of us walking with a guide was £39, roughly $51. We saw most of what the longer ship's tour saw, just not the Basilica.

We were back onboard an hour before all aboard whereas the ship's tours are still arriving, currently 15 minutes late.

I won't have 4G now till back in Barcelona but will use my Diamond + minutes so can still post and answer questions.

Bologna looks amazing. Your tour sounded like it was excellent value. Unfortunately I am now sick so we just caught the shuttle bus into Ravenna to look for a Farmacia. It had just closed for a 3 hour lunch break. We walked around for a bit. I had wanted to see the Mosaics but found out it I had to purchase a 9 euro ticket which gave you access to all of the historic sights. As we had limited time I didn't buy a ticket. We caught the shuttle bus back for a late lunch. Tal had a swim while I had a sleep.

Good morning from somewhere off the coast of southern Italy.

What a great day in Kotor. Beautiful sail in, a wonderful driver/guide called Luka and stunning scenery. Unfortunately my photos taken on the phone can't sync to the iPad unless both are on Wifi which won't happen till we are in our hotel on Sunday.

Our tour was booked by Sue, a fellow CC poster. She found Luka on Tripadvisor and exchanged several emails with him prior to our arrival. Originally it was due to be €40 pp for the 5 hour tour but when another couple joined the price dropped to €33 pp.

When we first booked the cruise our port times were 12.30-8.30 pm. That changed to 11.00-7.00 pm. So, we arranged to meet at 12 noon, allowing for tendering time, 5 hour tour then a quick look around the old town on our own. Well. [emoji57]Onboard they said we would arrive at 11.30, first tenders at 12.00. [emoji45]. Mercifully, with our D+ status we were on the first tender and met our driver at 12.15.

He drove a comfy 7 seater Mercedes mini-van, took us to Perast, over to the church Our Lady of the Rocks on a local boat, showed us round the church and small boat back. The boat fare and church entrance fee was all included in our price!

We had 30 minutes free in Perast then went back through Kotor (traffic!) and out towards Budva. After a couple of viewpoint stops we arrived in Budva and had one hour free there. Lovely old town with very busy beaches.

We were back at the dock in Kotor at 5.15 pm to join the tender queue. Suffice to say it was 6.05 pm before we reached our cabin. [emoji45]. Quick freshen up before dinner at 6.30.

To be continued. [emoji6]