Skipping Anchorage and Train scenery suggestions

klepton

Hello all, I have a few questions and I'll try to be brief. We are looking at taking the Princess RB8 CruiseTour next year but I notice it starts in Fairbanks and seems to skip Anchorage almost completely (we do get a "lunch on our own" there). It also utilizes motor coaches for most of the trip rather than the Alaska Railroad. Motorcoach from Fairbanks to Denali, train from Denali to Talkeetna, motorcoach from Talkeetna to Kenai.

1) I know this is subjective, but how much are we missing by not doing Anchorage? It seems most other cruisetours have at least a day there.

2) Are we missing any scenic points of interest by not taking the train from Fairbanks->Denali and Talkeetna -> Anchorage?

I'm considering flying into Anchorage 2 days early, then having a full day in Anchorage and taking the Denali Star all the way from Anchorage to Fairbanks on the day we are to arrive to start our CruiseTour. Giving us time in Anchorage and the full Denali Star scenery. This is expensive and will take a few more vacation days. Is it overkill? Or is it something you would recommend doing if we can swing it?

Thanks for any/all suggestions! I want to make sure I'm not overthinking this.

What sights and activities would you plan for in Anc if you had time? That's the only way to know if you were missing something.

The train tracks parallel the hwy most of the time. The exception is the leg between anc and seward where the tracks veer inland and come close to a glacier. This leg is considered the most scenic of the Alaska Railroad.

If train travel is a priority, look at the package trips offered by the railroad.

https://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel-planning/packages/summer-packages

Or book the train and Princess Lodge on your own. This would enable you to go where you want to go and stay as long as you choose at each location.

The Kenai Princess is in Cooper Landing, not accessible by train. However its only a 1 hr drive from Seward, if you want to get a Hertz rental and drive there.

If you really want to do a cruisetour take one that gives you enough time in each location to enjoy it. Your RB8 is probably too short to be worthwhile. Is it a 10 day? Spend your money on something that will give you at least two nights in Denali. What will you do in Fairbanks? The train from Fairbanks to Denali is mostly boring. The bus is more interesting and faster. The train between Denali and Anchorage is more scenic and will have narration and a dining car as well as bar service. You may want to skip Talkeetna unless there is somerhing you want to do there. You may also want to skip Fairbanks for the same reason.

If you don't have much time consider renting a car or checking out other options. If you want to take the train check out the packages offered by the Alaska Railroad. They have Denali packages available or look at TravelALaska options.

Doing the extra train to Fairbanks would be overkill. I am not familiar with Princess packages but surely you can do better. Holland America will have better options but be aware that the dIrect to Denali will be a long bus ride but will probably also include the train. I think the HAL train cars are very nice and they all face forward.

Keep researching.

As mentioned, the Alaska RR between Anchorage and Fairbanks, isn't anything special. It parallels the Parks Highway. A negative, actually- if on a short cruise tour, as too much time is in transit rather than at destinations. The top scenic choice by far is Anchorage/Seward, which Princess does not offer. Their Kenai Princess is not a place I'd be without a car, and an hour from Seward where a lot of activities.

Tale your time with selections, and I'd suggest you back up and find out more about various areas in Alaska. Did you have plans of interest in Anchorage? IF an area you have a desire to enjoy then by all means- do so. http://www.anchorage.net

MAKE Sure, you understand every detail of cruise tours, and definitely be certain you have an interest in the inclusions. Nothing worse than being stuck in areas of no interest. Especially at the expense of others.

Honestly, I didn't care for Anchorage or Fairbanks. Did enjoy flying to Katmai from Anchorage to see the bears. And the drive from Anchorage to Seward is scenic.

I only did cruise tour for my first visit to Alaska. As others suggested, I would highly recommend knowing exactly what is in a cruise tour and if that is what you want. For me, two night minimum at Denali would be important. Kenai Fjord out of Seward or glacier tour out of Whittier is nice.

I would start with what do you want to see/do (cruise critic, trip adviser, pictures, etc.) and make sure whatever you decide on has your top priorities. You most likely will have to compromise.

Thanks to everyone for all your great thoughts! I am bouncing back and forth between doing this cruisetour and doing our own thing. Typically I'd do it on our own. I think from what you've all said and the videos I saw I'm not missing much with the train and Anchorage.

The tour is 8 days, basically two days each in Fairbanks, Denali, Princess Wilderness Lodge, and Kenai. The more I read the more I wish I had a month to stay up there.

Thanks again!

The tour is 8 days, basically two days each in Fairbanks, Denali, Princess Wilderness Lodge, and Kenai. The more I read the more I wish I had a month to stay up there.

Thanks again!

Have you looked further than just a destination list? (which isn't complete with what you have posted above) Have you looked at what each of these areas offer, determined your activities you are going to arrange, what you are going to to there. Not sure what you mean by your "wilderness lodge", is this the McKinley Lodge or Copper River Princess? BIG differences, with the former no place I'd be without a car. Also you know the details of where the Kenai Princess is? Main activity is fishing and float trips. You are a 2 hour transit to/from Seward, which is far better staying there.

I'm inclined to suggest, IF a car rental is an opton for you, you'd have a superior trip with the ability to plan easier and experience more. It's simple to arrange and there are excellent - accurate trip planning resources available on this site and Tripadvisior. IF you care to take advantage. :)

We have done our own thing twice. You can rent a car in Anchorage and head north. We stopped overnight in Talkeetna for flightseeing with a glacier landing. Then we drove to Denali and spent a couple of nights, taking the bus to Wonder Lake one day. You can't do that on most cruise tours. After Denali, drive back to Anchorage, turn in the car, and take the train to your cruise port the next day. The big cities are cities, not the draw of Alaska.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

You might benefit from reading a 2014 trip report from MVPinBoynton, which looks like the same cruisetour itinerary, but in reverse. They did a NB Princess cruise from Vancouver, then a cruisetour ending in Fairbanks. (open his current report in the 2017 list, then go to his HoME Page to find the 2014 Alaska cruisetour).

Also, look at some DIY land trips in 2017, such as cruiseguy1016's 7day DIY and kpd21880.'s 6day DIY.

Past trip reports provide a wealth of information on sights, activities, lodging, travel times, etc. ( Tripadvisor is primarily for land travel so you will find many more reports there ....look under TOP QUESTIONS in the Alaska forum.)

One of the biggest benefits of a rental car or RV is that you can choose to visit places that interest you, you can travel on your schedule and at your pace. You also have the ability to stop for wildlife sightings or other places of interest along the way.

Have fun with your research and planning!

Thanks to everyone for all your great thoughts! I am bouncing back and forth between doing this cruisetour and doing our own thing. Typically I'd do it on our own. I think from what you've all said and the videos I saw I'm not missing much with the train and Anchorage.

Thanks again!

I typically recommend people skip the cruise line tour and do their own thing. I drove tour bus for two summers for Holland America here in Alaska and I felt bad for the people just being herded around like sheep.

Alaska is pretty easy to do DIY and you'll get a lot help here putting together the trip.

We have done cruises to Alaska twice (once Princess, once Carnival), and this summer we did a land tour on our own without the cruise. All that to say, we have not done a land/sea combo... However, I strongly recommend renting a car and touring land on your own. We spent 3 days with anchorage as our home base, spending a day in Seward, and a couple days enjoying the town and nearby sites including Ship Creek, Flattop mountain, Alyeska, Portage Glacier (not impressive), animal conservation center, Beluga Point and other gorgeous roadside vistas, and then did a very very reasonably priced flight tour over Knik Glacier with Sound Aviation (trip highlight!) There is LOTS to do in the Anchorage area when you have the flexibility that a rental car offers. If hiking or animal sightings are your thing, Denali is not to be missed. We enjoyed spending 3 days in the park area, with a stop in Talkeetna on the way up there. The drive between Anchorage and Denali (and probably the train as well) is absolutely beautiful and a pleasant way to spend your time.

No matter what - you'll have an amazing time!