Early flight from FLL?

We are sailing on Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale 3/3/2018. Flight options are not the best right now for the return on the 11th. I am satisfied with the price on a 9:15am flight to PWM. How early can we do self-debarkation? Do we have any shot in making it? We are two adults and a teen. We always self debarked but never had a flight that early. Flight is with Southwest so there is some flexibility with changes etc.

Thanks!

Jess

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are sailing on Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale 3/3/2018. Flight options are not the best right now for the return on the 11th. I am satisfied with the price on a 9:15am flight to PWM. How early can we do self-debarkation? Do we have any shot in making it? We are two adults and a teen. We always self debarked but never had a flight that early. Flight is with Southwest so there is some flexibility with changes etc.

Thanks!

Jess

I would not schedule a flight that early for a Freedom cruise. Too tight for my stress level.

Thanks!

Jess

I was on Harmony in May. I had a 10:10 am flight. I did self debarkation. We left the room around 6:30 am and made it to our gate around 7:50 am. We had no long at customs getting off the ship. A short line to check my baggage at Southwest but the longest line was at security. I think we spent 30 minutes in line. I have read on CC that people have made 9:00 am flight but it is a little tight in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

I was on Harmony in May. I had a 10:10 am flight. I did self debarkation. We left the room around 6:30 am and made it to our gate around 7:50 am. We had no long at customs getting off the ship. A short line to check my baggage at Southwest but the longest line was at security. I think we spent 30 minutes in line. I have read on CC that people have made 9:00 am flight but it is a little tight in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

Harmony a maybe, but on other ships, no. I sail out of Fort Lauderdale 5-6 times a yr and wouldn't want the stress. Debarkation not as early or as efficient as Oasis Class ships...

Thanks!

Jess

Do you have Nexus?

We have a 9:55am Southwest flight on our Harmony cruise next month. We do have TSA and will self disembark so we aren't worried. FLL is so close to the port.

Oasis class is different than other classes of ships when it comes to how early they dock and how efficient their terminal is at moving people through. I also would not have a problem with a 9:55am flight from an Oasis class ship at Ft. Lauderdale.

We had a choice of a 5:15pm or 9:17am out of FLL off of Allure on 12/03/17. Wife wanted to get back to SoCal earlier than later so made me book the early flight. Based on what I have read, assuming no issues with coming into port it sounds like we should be OK given that we are staying in a Star Class suite, have Global Entry/TSA Precheck and flying in the front cabin. I'm hoping our Genie will get our luggage off for us as my wife and two daughters pack a ton and don't want to be dragging everything around so early. One cruise we had one bag that weighed 75 pounds. Nothing but shoes. Hoping ...

We drove down, but we made it off Freedom out of Port Everglades doing self-disembark in time to make it to FLL had we flown... barely. We probably would've made the airport right at probably 800-815. We got lucky and had no lines at customs. Any delay whatsoever and there would've been no way. Had we actually been flying there's no way I would've attempted it. As others have said, it's a crap shoot and not worth the stress. Wait a couple hours and relax.

We had a choice of a 5:15pm or 9:17am out of FLL off of Allure on 12/03/17. Wife wanted to get back to SoCal earlier than later so made me book the early flight. Based on what I have read, assuming no issues with coming into port it sounds like we should be OK given that we are staying in a Star Class suite, have Global Entry/TSA Precheck and flying in the front cabin. I'm hoping our Genie will get our luggage off for us as my wife and two daughters pack a ton and don't want to be dragging everything around so early. One cruise we had one bag that weighed 75 pounds. Nothing but shoes. Hoping ...

You're not doing self debarkation and plan on making a 9:15 am flight? I would start making a plan B. They frequently don't start disembarking passengers until 8-8:30. Then you have to find your luggage, go through immigration line and hail a taxi. When you get to FLL you have to go through security (sometimes global entry line isn't open). I would check out a different airline with better flights or just plan on spending the night in Ft Laudeedale and take that early flight the next day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing on Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale 3/3/2018.

Flight options are not the best right now for the return on the 11th.

I am satisfied with the price on a 9:15am flight to PWM.

Thanks!

Jess

The real price you are going to pay, is worrying about this for the next 7 months,

and, while on your cruise.

Been there.:)

Edited by $hip$hape

You're not doing self debarkation and plan on making a 9:15 am flight? I would start making a plan B. They frequently don't start disembarking passengers until 8-8:30. Then you have to find your luggage, go through immigration line and hail a taxi. When you get to FLL you have to go through security (sometimes global entry line isn't open). I would check out a different airline with better flights or just plan on spending the night in Ft Laudeedale and take that early flight the next day

We'll self disembark for sure. My understanding and hope is being in Star Class that it will be expedited.

We'll self disembark for sure. My understanding and hope is being in Star Class that it will be expedited.

You are putting all your faith into the cruise line . That's great...... What should concern you is the airport. I work for an airline and would never attempt to leave that early. I'm sure that you will continue to stress about it, so while you still have time, if it will not cost you that much..... Maybe you should look into other options. Then you can relax and enjoy your vacation.

Thanks all! We do not have Nexus. I think we will wait a bit to book and hopefully we will see a price drop on a later flight! I don't really care what airline it is.

Our biggest issue is we have a 6 hr drive home from PWM so do not want to arrive at stupid o'clock. Staying another night would be the best option as flights are cheaper Monday, but DS is in grade 10 and he does not want to lose his exam exemption.

In his school district, if you miss less than 3 days in a semester, you can exempt one exam. He is already losing 1 day on the 2nd to fly down and would like to save 2 days in case he gets sick etc.

Thanks all! We do not have Nexus.

I think we will wait a bit to book and hopefully we will see a price drop on a later flight!

Our biggest issue is we have a 6 hr drive home from PWM so do not want to arrive at stupid o'clock.

Staying another night would be the best option as flights are cheaper Monday,

but DS is in grade 10 and he does not want to lose his exam exemption.

In his school district, if you miss less than 3 days in a semester, you can exempt one exam. He is already losing 1 day on the 2nd to fly down and would like to save 2 days in case he gets sick etc.

Since you are talking about driving 6 hours after landing in Portland(North in February?),

take the next morning flight.

I don't mean to sound like a smart azz, but have DS stay home with a friend.

He can always go on some other holiday.

Edited by $hip$hape

Since you are talking about driving 6 hours after landing in Portland(North in February?),

That's exactly what I was thinking. But you said it first.

It always gets me when I see threads directed to "can I get a 4am flight home if my ship docks at 6.....

If getting home by 7am is a priority then you either booked the wrong vacation, or you should live in the port

You don't sound like a smart ass :). We are going without him in November. The only time he can go is March break because of school & sports.

That's exactly what I was thinking. But you said it first.

It always gets me when I see threads directed to "can I get a 4am flight home if my ship docks at 6.....

If getting home by 7am is a priority then you either booked the wrong vacation, or you should live in the port

I don't think my question was quite that extreme lol. I don't really care what time I get to Portland as long as I can get to NB by 9AM Monday without it costing me an arm and a leg.

Oasis class is different than other classes of ships when it comes to how early they dock and how efficient their terminal is at moving people through. I also would not have a problem with a 9:55am flight from an Oasis class ship at Ft. Lauderdale.

Wow! Reading you say this I am going to keep my options open when looking at flights from FLL-EWR next August. Im waiting for United and Delta to open up in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you. I was going to be very comfortable with an 11 am, but hoping for a little earlier.

Thank you.

I don't think my question was quite that extreme lol. I don't really care what time I get to Portland as long as I can get to NB by 9AM Monday without it costing me an arm and a leg.

My comment wasn't totally directed at you. I have seen maybe hundreds of the same question on this site.

It has to be me, but i'm on VACATION, why STRESS. If so and so can't go, go without them, if you need to be at work the day of your return, take another vacation day....or change the dates of your vacation

My comment wasn't totally directed at you. I have seen maybe hundreds of the same question on this site.

It has to be me, but i'm on VACATION, why STRESS. If so and so can't go, go without them, if you need to be at work the day of your return, take another vacation day....or change the dates of your vacation

I totally agree. If worse comes to worse we will end up keeping him out on Monday and he will just have to hope he does not get sick during the semester, otherwise he will be writing all his exams. It will be his call: Either stay home in the freezing cold of NB or enjoy a week of sunshine :)

Hubby is always trying to get me to fly into port the day of a cruise. Just thinking about trying that gives me a headache - never going to happen. I would worry about it from the minute I book the flight to the minute I walk onboard.

The only reason I am even considering this one is because it is southwest and easy to change if something happens and we miss it. Luckily we have lots of time and hopefully a nice seat sale will pop up. I don't care what airline it is.

I totally agree. If worse comes to worse we will end up keeping him out on Monday and he will just have to hope he does not get sick during the semester, otherwise he will be writing all his exams. It will be his call: Either stay home in the freezing cold of NB or enjoy a week of sunshine :)

Hubby is always trying to get me to fly into port the day of a cruise. Just thinking about trying that gives me a headache - never going to happen. I would worry about it from the minute I book the flight to the minute I walk onboard.

The only reason I am even considering this one is because it is southwest and easy to change if something happens and we miss it. Luckily we have lots of time and hopefully a nice seat sale will pop up. I don't care what airline it is.

It seems to be a lot of stress on you, hubby wanting to fly the day of and DS and his school work.

It looks like you need a ME vacation....If you take care of the plans, book a flight YOU are comfortable with, book the cruise with the two of you, this way DS can concentrate on his school work and maybe down the line after he completes his semester, you can work out another vacation.