Wi Fi question

This one has probably been asked several times but I have to ask it too. Are any of the RCI ship WiFi ready?

I know the Enchantment is, but maybe not in all areas. I was able to use it in my cabin though, which was 8614. I would not however recommend this cabin if noise from upstairs will bother you.;)

We are sailing on the Explorer soon and I contacted RCI and they said yes they have wi-fi on the ship and packages you can buy for time. They have hot spots and from what I have read on the boards some cabins you can get ok coverage and others you cant but you can go find a spot with coverage

This one has probably been asked several times but I have to ask it too. Are any of the RCI ship WiFi ready?

Hello. I went through this about three weeks ago and about 30 post ago. I found out through RCCL that ALL the ship's in the RCI fleet, with the exception of VISION OF THE SEAS, is WiFi ready. Vision of the Seas will have WiFi up and running on 12-18-05. If your sailing on any other ship, WiFi is at your disposal. Unfortunately, I sail on Vision the week before WiFi kicks in.

It took awhile to do the reasearch, but I hope it helps you out.

How do they even know if you are using it if its wireless?

It's not available to you unless you have signed on with their system. Well, I should say it shows up on the list of wireless networks, on your laptop, but you can't sign on to it until you sign up for an account, through RC Online. You also have to choose an account, either by the minute, which is 50 cents a min, or Pre paid, which is 33 cents a minute. Different packages are available.

It's not available to you unless you have signed on with their system. Well, I should say it shows up on the list of wireless networks, on your laptop, but you can't sign on to it until you sign up for an account, through RC Online. You also have to choose an account, either by the minute, which is 50 cents a min, or Pre paid, which is 33 cents a minute. Different packages are available.

Does anyone know how the pre-paid works? Is there a minimum of minutes that you need to buy to get it for 33 cents? Thanks. :)

Does anyone know how the pre-paid works? Is there a minimum of minutes that you need to buy to get it for 33 cents? Thanks. :)

Yes, but I can't remember what it was. I want to say that there was a $25.00, $35.00, and a $50.00 package. We took the $50.00 package, which was for about 160? minutes. We, or should I say, my friend, reloaded our plan 3 times, on a 4 day cruise, LOL...she'd addicted to AIM.

You can go to guest relations when you board and ask them, or just go to RC Online, and click on the icon for the internet sign up. You swipe your card, and choose a user name and password. It will then ask you to select a package. But be careful when you use it on your laptop. 2 times we shut it down, only to come back later and find that it had been connected, and one time it was for 7 hours!! They took it off our bill. Just disable it when you shut it down.

When you run out of minutes, it will ask you to sign up for another package. I think you can go minute to minute if you use the RC computers.

It can be slow at times, which sucks the minutes right up. Someone else will add to this I'm sure....

That package was $50 for 150 minutes. Plus the C&A coupon book had a coupon for a credit which said you should take to purser's desk before going online- not sure why.

Anyway, long story made short is that on Voyager last October everyone trying to use wireless became quite frustrated. Garbage at the login screen often prevented you from getting logged in. When you did get logged in, it would often cut off after 5 to 15 minutes and then go back to the garbage screen. It was really slow. Computers in the library had same trouble. I tried to send information into the IT department that the proxy server was messed up but just got the "no tech support" line.

That package was $50 for 150 minutes. Plus the C&A coupon book had a coupon for a credit which said you should take to purser's desk before going online- not sure why.

Anyway, long story made short is that on Voyager last October everyone trying to use wireless became quite frustrated. Garbage at the login screen often prevented you from getting logged in. When you did get logged in, it would often cut off after 5 to 15 minutes and then go back to the garbage screen. It was really slow. Computers in the library had same trouble. I tried to send information into the IT department that the proxy server was messed up but just got the "no tech support" line.

Yeah, I forgot about the coupon. I did use it. It was for 10 free minutes. Big whoop-de-do! LOL........but better than nothing I suppose.

Hello. I went through this about three weeks ago and about 30 post ago. I found out through RCCL that ALL the ship's in the RCI fleet, with the exception of VISION OF THE SEAS, is WiFi ready. Vision of the Seas will have WiFi up and running on 12-18-05. If your sailing on any other ship, WiFi is at your disposal. Unfortunately, I sail on Vision the week before WiFi kicks in.

It took awhile to do the reasearch, but I hope it helps you out.

Thank you so much.

My wife and I are sailing on the Vision in May 2006.

Now I might take my laptop along.

WI-FI on Serenade.

I just got off of SotS this past Saturday. I took my Pocket PC with a Wi-Fi card to send/receive emails to the folks back home. I Prepaid for an hour of time ($25.00). I found that even with the "B" wi-fi card, it was slow. I also found that if you are going to send email with an email client like Outlook, you might be screwed. Most ISPs now block email relaying so when you try to send your email form the ship, it is not accepted. I thought the hour would be plenty of time in that I would compose the email off line and then send it later. When the ISP rejects the email, your only option is to use your ISP web interface and now your hour gets chewed up big time.

I have a hard time justifying paying $25 for an hour of internet time when your home service is for an entire month. But after it was all said and done, I spent close to $60 for internet service for the week.

Archived