Coral Princess Northbound Alaska Aug. 19-26 Report

ncstatefan

This is not really a detailed day-by-day report, but the reviews I read on CC before our trip were so helpful to me that I wanted to make a few observations and perhaps answer some of the questions I saw on other posts.

Embarkation

We spent one night pre-cruise at Vancouver Pan Pacific, which is a little pricey but was worth it to us to leave our bags with the hotel bellman, take the elevator down to the dock, and walk on the ship. Embarkation was a breeze. Princess had notified us by email to arrive either between 10 and 12 or between 1 and 3 to avoid long lines. We started the process around 11 and had to wait in the Princess holding area for a little while, but were in our cabin just after noon. It was fun walking around for a couple of hours feeling almost like we were on a private yacht.

Cabin

We were in C727, which is one of the far aft mini-suites. Love this cabin and the fact that you get a side and back view and had no problem with it not being covered. When it does rain there is usually wind, so the rain blows in on the covered balconies anyway. We are not light sleepers so maybe that was a factor, but we did not notice a lot of motion or noise. Our cabin was starboard, which was docked next to town in Ketchikan and Skagway, but both starboard and port had wonderful views of the glaciers. Had a great steward who provided robes and blankets for us. More than adequate space for storage

Food

I think we tried everything except the Crab Shack. We usually ate around 7:00 and never had to wait for a table for two in the anytime dining room. Food is certainly not what it was 10 or 15 years ago, but we enjoyed all of our meals and service was good. Nothing in particular stands out in my mind to recommend to you, except do not miss the GOAT CHEESE SOUFFLE. On our trip it was served the night we left Skagway. I also enjoyed the escargot and when I asked our waiter if I could have it the next night, he brought the head waiter to our table and arranged it for me, so I would advise you to ask for anything you want and if they can accommodate you, they will.

We splurged with both the balcony breakfast and balcony dinner. Were not able to have either on our balcony due to weather, but enjoyed both very much, especially the balcony dinner which we will definitely do again

Dinner at both Bayou and Sabatini's was excellent - at Bayou we had the best fillet we've had in a long time.

We tried pizza for lunch at Alfredo's (in Sabatini's) but in our opinion it could not hold a candle to that served in the Pizzeria, which became our favorite lunch. Food at the Grill was quick and good, and they usually have a special of some type which is not advertised in the Patter. We always got coffee (and sometimes a snack) at the International Café and never had to wait in line very long. TIP: Be sure to pack a couple of insulated mugs. While at Glacier Bay, you will not be served in any type of plastic or paper cups. At IC you could only get coffee in china cups on that day, and if you take it to your room, not only is it not enough coffee but also is getting cold. We were able to enjoy our hot coffee and chocolate on our balcony all day because of our Yetis.

Our least favorite food venue was Horizon Court. While they did have a wide variety of food and you could always find something there you would like, at main dining hours it becomes quite crowded and difficult to find a table. We both are always busy at work, so on vacation we prefer a more relaxed dining style.

Spa

My husband was reluctant to participate in a couples massage (I think he had the idea that only women go to a spa), but he couldn't stop talking about how good it was. He enjoyed it so much that I even persuaded him to go with me to the thermal suite several times for the steam rooms and stone loungers. I did a package and went every day (sometimes twice), so I felt it was a good value for me. We did not do the sanctuary because we did not feel we would spend enough time there, but it looked like a great place to relax.

Entertainment

Encore and Motor City which were not broadway quality by any stretch of the imagination, but they were certainly better than watching tv. Try to get to the theater a little early - the early seating fills quickly. Didn’t get to go Movies under the Stars because of our schedule and/or weather but movies scheduled were Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Going in Style, Hidden Figures, Kong: Skull Island, The Lego Batman Movie, and Ghost in the Shell. Enjoyed the dance music in Wheelhouse.

Tours

Since tours are a very personal choice and there are so many, I will not go into detail. We did the Rainforest and Crab Fest in Ketchikan, the dog sled summer camp in Juneau, the luxury White Mountain train in Skagway, and the Turnagain Arm and Wildlife Conservation Center in Whittier, and will be glad to answer any questions you might have about those. If you do the Whittier excursion, get a seat on the left side (facing forward) of the bus, as you will have water views. We had no problem walking from the ship into all three ports for shopping and sightseeing.

General

I have short hair and had no problem with the dryer, but you might want to bring your own if your hair is thick. I brought my own shampoo and soap because of comments posted but could have saved the space as I did not find the shampoo and soap provided objectionable. We did receive the blue bags some of you asked about. We were lucky to have good weather. There was light rain during three days, but sunshine in Skagway and Glacier Bay. A fleece hoodie and rain jacket were all I needed, but you should still plan to pack all those extra layers - you never know what you will need. Don’t worry about the formal nights - just enjoy them. You will have fun dressing to the nines if you like but you will also be fine with a jacket and tie for the gentlemen and a pair of dressy pants and blouse for ladies.

I am regretfully back at work and don’t have time to scan the Patters, but if you have any specific questions, I will be glad to try to look them up.