Bingo on QM2

abefroman329

I must have missed bingo on QM2. Never saw it promoted, that I can remember. Mind you, my fault I am sure, as I wasn't looking for it in the Daily Programme. I'll check next time to see if it is there. I'll look at some of my old programmes as well.

I can't answer the OP's question as to whether bingo on the QM2 is British or American. But I can provide this scan from a daily programme during a crossing in August, 2016 just in case it helps any and to confirm bingo was offered then. I remember seeing the table at the entrance to the Golden Lion where the bingo items were being sold.

QM2%20Bingo.jpg

Regards,

John

American. Cunard had British bingo when we cruised on the Cunard Princess in '86, but when we were on the QE2 in '89 and since has adopted the American 5x5 grid. (Although the actual boards changed from reusable boards to tear-off sheets) I seem to recall seeing people with marker bottles on our TA this past May, so the sheets may need dabbers as opposed to the punch-through variety.

Cunard runs North American Bingo. I believe it is around $15 for one game per round (4 rounds - blue, orange, green, red), $25 for 3 games and $30 for 6 games per round.

The blue round is always one full line in any direction. The yellow round is usually a full line in any direction, or the four corners of the square. The green round is often a T or H shape, or two vertical lines. The red round is coverall - completely cover the 25 squares in 51 calls or less to win the money, or failing that, win a reduced amount and the jackpot grows (until final sea day when the prize must be won).

Love playing bingo on cruises and crossings. People do take it seriously though, which is part of the fun. If you want to toy with people's emotions and revel in the dirty looks you'll get, you just stand up (indicating you are one number away from winning). Or, if you don't mind a bit of public humiliation afterwards, call out bingo as people get close to claiming victory.

Of course, winning is always great. I've won some of the smaller rounds and netted a few hundred over the years. But be sure to keep track of what numbers are called as you have to claim victory on the last number called. Sadly, my failure to keep track on one occasion lost me $3,000 (well, I never technically lost it, but still it felt like a loss as technically I should have won it).

The why do they offer quoits, Baggo, whist, and Cluedo as entertainment options?

God only knows why they offer the things they do: Napkin folding, scarf tying, hat making. Tango lessons. Golf. Maybe Cunard is just trying to keep their passengers happy (wherever they come from)?

God only knows why they offer the things they do: Napkin folding, scarf tying, hat making. Tango lessons. Golf. Maybe Cunard is just trying to keep their passengers happy (wherever they come from)?

My question was "why do they use the British terms for these activities if it's an American ship?" Not to mention Voyage Personaliser, Daily Programme, and countless other British spellings of words associated with QM2.

My question was "why do they use the British terms for these activities if it's an American ship?" Not to mention Voyage Personaliser, Daily Programme, and countless other British spellings of words associated with QM2.

It's not an "American ship". The ship sails under the flag of Bermuda.

Happily, I am able to understand the alternative spellings for words that are familiar to me, but every time I see Daily Programme, I auto correct and it becomes Daily Program me ;)

Happy voyage,

Salacia

I first discovered "British bingo" on the Union-Castle Line in the 1970s, then later on the P&O. A new-found-friend on Union-Castle persuaded us to attend bingo, assuring us it was not the North American style which we find boring. We enjoyed it. Our favourite call was: "Two little ducks - quack, quack."

Even in the 1970s and 1980s, when Cunard was still British owned, they were playing the North American bingo on the QE2. We left the room immediately.

Regarding US $ and £, the British-owned ship used $ for on-board pricing on eastbound crossings and the £ for westbound crossings.

In that case they should use the Bermudian Dollar then as the ship's currency.

No, I don't think so. In Bermuda, the US Dollar and the Bermuda Dollar are used interchangeably (see https://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000079.htm )

Internationally, I believe the US Dollar is used more often than the Bermuda Dollar, so it is more convenient for most passengers to use the US Dollar.

Or was your suggestion meant to be funny/scarcastic?:confused:

You used to get "Two fat ladies - eighty eight". But it's against the law now to call that.

The "two fat ladies" call was used by Union-Castle Line up until the last voyage of RMS Windsor Castle (1977) and in the 1980s we noticed that P&O was using "one" or "two wobbly men - wobble, wobble."

Sorry to go off-topic for a brief moment: In the late 1990s Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Paterson's hilarious food show "Two Fat Ladies" was very popular in Canada. Many people didn't get the double entendre of the title.

Sorry to go off-topic for a brief moment: In the late 1990s Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Paterson's hilarious food show "Two Fat Ladies" was very popular in Canada. Many people didn't get the double entendre of the title.

I'm familiar with the show but I don't get the double entendre of the title.

Unfortunately the height of wit when it comes to American bingo is making sex noises when they call O-69