Bringing bottled soda onboard?

joseph123

they will never say NO to you. HAL's staff are too kind.

But, they have posted on their FB page it is carry on only - just as the wine is. The idea is to save work for the stewards. You can pretty much buy water/tonic water at any port so no need to load a case in most cases and cause additional work.

I say this because again, part of the reason the wine policy was changed was the "slap a luggage tag on it" that a lot were doing. FLL was pointed out to be the main culprit.

I carry what I want on. Put it in a caryy on that rolls along with my wine and pay the corkage - no biggie.

I only bring what is not available on the ship as generally speaking their prices for soda are not horrendous and if I have to choose, I will choose clamato, certain type of water and wine. ;)

I don't believe it is only to save work for the stewards - I understand there have been issues with exploding bottles and cans in luggage. They don't exactly get gentle treatment when being thrown into the luggage carts and then onto the ship along with hundreds of other pieces of luggage! So you can imagine that it can impact on other people's luggage and belongings .What are they supposed to do with a whole pack with a luggage tag on it? Treat them with kid gloves, separate them into another pile? Not fair on any of the handlers.

I have seen this question asked many times on HAL's facebook page, and the response from HAL has always been the same - you may as much soda or water as you can CARRY on to the ship. I guess it's luck of the draw for those who boast that they do this and get away with it every time. However, I believe that if it continues to be abused, it will go the same way as the wine policy.

I don't believe it is only to save work for the stewards - I understand there have been issues with exploding bottles and cans in luggage. They don't exactly get gentle treatment when being thrown into the luggage carts and then onto the ship along with hundreds of other pieces of luggage! So you can imagine that it can impact on other people's luggage and belongings .What are they supposed to do with a whole pack with a luggage tag on it? Treat them with kid gloves, separate them into another pile? Not fair on any of the handlers.

I have seen this question asked many times on HAL's facebook page, and the response from HAL has always been the same - you may as much soda or water as you can CARRY on to the ship. I guess it's luck of the draw for those who boast that they do this and get away with it every time. However, I believe that if it continues to be abused, it will go the same way as the wine policy.

Very good point Lizzie. A recipe for ruined clothing and luggage.

I tried searching HAL's Facebook page for posts containing words 'cans', 'bottled', and 'cases' and found nothing relevant going back to 2009. Perhaps someone could post a link about checked cases of water or soda.

HAL's reply has been posted here in the past on several occasions.

If you use the word "soda" in your search, I think you should see it on FB. I am reluctant to post here as names do show.

For MaxThrusters:

I did find this on the HAL board (there are others)

Copied and pasted from HAL's FB page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=52103441&postcount=9

It has the link to HAL's FB page:

" Hi xxx, thanks for asking! Guests are permitted to bring unlimited soda or bottled water onboard at embarkation or purchased in a shore side location. We ask that the soda or bottled water be carried onboard and not be stored in the any of the luggage you check in prior to embarking. We do offer a discounted Soda Card, as well as many other valuable indulgence packages. For more information regarding soda cards, or any other indulgence packages, please contact our Ship Services department directly at 800-541-1576 (206-281-3535 if calling from outside the US or Canada) Monday-Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm Pacific Time, or by email to hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com. Bon Voyage!"

We don't make this stuff up ;)

Thank you for the link. They say there that they prefer soda etc not be stored inside checked luggage. I asked, although it's an old thread from 2014 (I've been on several cruises since then and not had a problem tagging a case of soda and a case of water). I can see why they would prefer loose cans or bottles be carried onboard, but to expect passengers to carry cases on is just silly. Let's see if HAL says anything.

Thank you for the link. They say there that they prefer soda etc not be stored inside checked luggage. I asked, although it's an old thread from 2014 (I've been on several cruises since then and not had a problem tagging a case of soda and a case of water). I can see why they would prefer loose cans or bottles be carried onboard, but to expect passengers to carry cases on is just silly. Let's see if HAL says anything.

The rules are the same for wine. I believe it happened at the same time. If you want to bring a case of wine on, it must be in your carry on, or carried on.

Remember you don't have to buy it all at embarkation ports. Unless you are going someplace where it is not available, you can bring it on at any port you are visiting, so no need for copious amounts at embarkation.

The rules are the same for wine. I believe it happened at the same time. If you want to bring a case of wine on, it must be in your carry on, or carried on.

Remember you don't have to buy it all at embarkation ports. Unless you are going someplace where it is not available, you can bring it on at any port you are visiting, so no need for copious amounts at embarkation.

Respectfully, I believe you and others here are mistaken about tagged cases of non alcoholic beverages not being allowed to be checked in at embarkation. I've done it on many cruises, including earlier this year. Many many others were as well. I think you may be confusing the issue of wine bottles and non-alcoholic beverages.

Such a rule would mean one can't bring a case aboard for all practical purposes, because often cabins are not available right away, and I highly doubt an eighty year old passenger (or really at any age) would be expected to lug around two cases of bottled water and soda.

Anyway, I posed the question to HAL on Facebook and we will see what if anything they have to say.

Respectfully, I believe you and others here are mistaken about tagged cases of non alcoholic beverages not being allowed to be checked in at embarkation. I've done it on many cruises, including earlier this year. Many many others were as well. I think you may be confusing the issue of wine bottles and non-alcoholic beverages.

Such a rule would mean one can't bring a case aboard for all practical purposes, because often cabins are not available right away, and I highly doubt an eighty year old passenger (or really at any age) would be expected to lug around two cases of bottled water and soda.

Anyway, I posed the question to HAL on Facebook and we will see what if anything they have to say.

Respectfully, I don't think I am confusing anything at all. I have carried on more than what equalled a case of wine (wine tasting for the roll call) so, it can certainly be done.

It is rare that rooms are not ready when you board (other than deep cleaning, CDC inspections).

In any case, I hope you will share HAL's response to your question here on the thread. It should be very interesting.

See my post above. HAL clearly states on their facebook page how you may bring soda and water onboard. As I mentioned, those that flout those rules are just lucky when they get a tagged cases loaded, not to mention inconsiderate towards other passengers and the hard-working HAL crew. Many people used to brag about getting cases of wine loaded on board - and look how that ended up.

See my post above. HAL clearly states on their facebook page how you may bring soda and water onboard. As I mentioned, those that flout those rules are just lucky when they get a tagged cases loaded, not to mention inconsiderate towards other passengers and the hard-working HAL crew. Many people used to brag about getting cases of wine loaded on board - and look how that ended up.

I just got off the phone with ships services, booking my retreat cabana for the cruise. I asked about checking in tagged cases of non alcoholic beverages, and the lady's response was this: "We frown on it, but you are allowed to check those in. We would prefer they be carried onboard though. Sometimes they don't see the luggage tag so putting on several is a good idea".

Call them yourselves if you don't believe me. There is no 'rule' being flouted. The only rule is no beverages inside checked luggage. The crew get paid to lug our things to our rooms. Inconsiderate to other passengers? I think I'm being treated here without consideration, and I am in the right on this issue.

People are quoting their opinions as if they are rules.

In the stateroom. That's why glassware in staterooms is different than any of the bars or dining venues. Carry one one of those or a can around and you are busted haha. Do they do or even say anything? I wouldn't know having never done it myself.

You can always get free ice tea, I think lemonade, etc for free at the lido drinks stations and carry that around.

I generally bring a few bottles (1.5 or 2 liter depending on the local supply) of CF Diet Coke onto the ship on embarkation day. I also have a couple of 20oz or 1/2 liter empty bottles in my packed luggage. That way I can fill those from the big bottles and stash them in the rooms mini-fridge for consumption when I like. I've carried the small bottles around on several ships and not once has any of the crew said anything. Now I have had passengers often ask me where I got that bottle on board, with my reply that I brought, not bought, it on board.

I'll also replenish the supply at local ports if needed and available.