New to Viking

ican82

My wife and I are looking at a Viking cruise in the Caribbean in early 2018. We have previously cruised with RCI and Carnival when our boys were young (liked RCI, disliked Carnival). More recently, we tried Azamara and Windstar, and really enjoyed the adult only crowd and more upscale experience. Having read so many great things about Viking on CC, we are interested, but have two questions.

The more general question is about age: we are in our late 50s and are looking for a vacation where we "fit". Azamara marketed their cruises as having an average age of about 56, and I would say that they were pretty close to that. Will Viking tend to be significantly older?

Our more specific question is about the cabins: the cruise we are looking at is completely sold out below cabin level DV2, and sold out above that level for 4 or 5 categories. DV2 however has many cabins available. Is there something wrong with this category or is it just a chance occurence?

1. Viking typically OLDER* than you

2. Know the DV2, no issues or problems; no bad view or bad locations onboard

FYI we stay in PV3

* obviously with exceptions, a family traveling with 16 & 20 yr old daughters and several couples in their late 30s and 40s

The 40 somethings' loved it but there complaints to me was that there were not enough "physical" tours, such as kayaking, zip lining the fjords, bike trips. There was only one kayak tour and only one very easy bike tour on Viking Homelands

EDIT: Carribbean demographics may be different; hope someone else replies

With our one Viking river and one Viking ocean cruises, I am not exactly an expert (though I hope to be one day!). I would say you may be towards the younger end of the demographic, but not by a significant margin. I would also guess that the ocean passenger generally is younger than the river crowd.

It is also true that each individual sailing can stray from the average. Two friends of mine and I, with our husbands, all took the same Viking river cruise down the Danube during different times during the summer of 2015. One of the couples found that the passengers on their trip were much older than they expected, but that was not the case on the two other cruises. (My husband and I are 64 and 65, if that helps you put my comments in perspective.)

I cannot offer any advice about the DV2 cabins on the ocean ships. We have always selected the least expensive cabins, and have been more than satisfied, even at that level. We had never wanted to take an ocean cruise previously, but were tempted to try Viking Ocean after that Viking river cruise down the Danube. We have already booked a second Viking Ocean cruise, as we enjoyed the first one immensely.

1. Viking typically OLDER* than you

2. Know the DV2, no issues or problems; no bad view or bad locations onboard

FYI we stay in PV3

* obviously with exceptions, a family traveling with 16 & 20 yr old daughters and several couples in their late 30s and 40s

The 40 somethings' loved it but there complaints to me was that there were not enough "physical" tours, such as kayaking, zip lining the fjords, bike trips. There was only one kayak tour and only one very easy bike tour on Viking Homelands

EDIT: Carribbean demographics may be different; hope someone else replies

There are a number of “physically active” tour options on my upcoming Panama and Central America Cruise. They include snorkeling, cave tubing, kayaking, an ATV ride, a rainforest trek, a 5 hour birdwatching trip, rafting, and swimming with the stingrays.

My wife and I are looking at a Viking cruise in the Caribbean in early 2018. We have previously cruised with RCI and Carnival when our boys were young (liked RCI, disliked Carnival). More recently, we tried Azamara and Windstar, and really enjoyed the adult only crowd and more upscale experience. Having read so many great things about Viking on CC, we are interested, but have two questions.

The more general question is about age: we are in our late 50s and are looking for a vacation where we "fit". Azamara marketed their cruises as having an average age of about 56, and I would say that they were pretty close to that. Will Viking tend to be significantly older?

Our more specific question is about the cabins: the cruise we are looking at is completely sold out below cabin level DV2, and sold out above that level for 4 or 5 categories. DV2 however has many cabins available. Is there something wrong with this category or is it just a chance occurence?

You may be seeing many DV2 cabins because I think that is the most plentiful cabin on the ship. We haven't traveled on Viking Ocean yet (Jun2018!), but I would be happy to be in a DV2.

As for the age concern, we were on a Viking River cruise last summer and I thought we fit right in. My husband and I were 59 and 58, and I know there were some younger and older than us. We'll have to see about the Ocean cruise, but we'll also be 2 years older!

I am doing a Viking Ocean cruise in the Caribbean in less than two months.

I will definitely be the youngest on board by a considerable margin.

I feel that a Caribbean cruise may have more appeal to a younger crowd compared

to a European itinerary, but I am happy going to the gym, spa and relaxing

on the deck, not too concerned about being so young.

If I may add, my husband and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding wedding anniversary on our first Viking ocean cruise however it will be our 16th cruise overall. I'm 49 and hubby is 48. We are so looking forward to experiencing a low-key and relaxing holiday.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think you will regret that decision at all. Viking is a great experience.

If the excursions are not active enough for you, look at the ports section here or on Trip Advisor for independent tours. We do that all the time - for small groups - or independent tours - or to DIY - combined with some Viking Excursions. It makes for some times!