Considering MSC , have only done NCL

Lambo62

I really like the itinerary for MSC out of Southampton in September 2018, have read some mixed reviews. We are low maintenance cruisers, spend lots of time relaxing on the balcony at night. We plan good excursions and like good food drink but doesn't have to be fancy. Would love to hear from other first time MSC Cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have only sailed MSC Divina out of Miami. Once in a regular balcony cabin and several times in the Yacht Club. I've also sailed NCL, HAL, Carnival, Costa, Royal and Celebrity. We loved Divina!! I thought the food was really good. The ship is beautiful! The shows were excellent. Lots of music venues. Extremely comfortable beds!

But then I love exploring a different ship and I've never had a bad cruise. [emoji847]

You didn't say which ship. We sailed DCL and NCL prior to out first MSC cruise in April. We chose the Yacht Club experience on Divina. At the time we booked, the YC cost about $600 more than NCL Escape (after adding the drink package gratuities). We cruise like you - low key, relaxing on the balcony. The YC was fabulous since we didn't feel like we had to stay on our balcony to escape the crowds. If we cruised MSC on a port intensive itinerary I would book another experience and then pay for a drink package and specialty meals since we would not be taking advantage of the YC experience.

We are sailing MSC now because of cost. We loved the NCL freestyle dining and all of the options on the Escape. So not sure I would compare a non-YC experience on MSC.

I really like the itinerary for MSC out of Southampton in September 2018, have read some mixed reviews. We are low maintenance cruisers, spend lots of time relaxing on the balcony at night. We plan good excursions and like good food drink but doesn't have to be fancy. Would love to hear from other first time MSC Cruisers.

Msc is very different from ncl in a good way, Enjoy.

The Yacht Club does not exist on MSC Magnifica, so any suggestions to try it are moot in your case.

I've never sailed NCL but, from what I've gleaned on here, the major differences between the 2 lines are:

a) freestyle dining (NCL) vs set dining (MSC - unless you have an Aurea booking, in which case you can enjoy MyChoice dining);

b) people are much more inclined to dress for dinner on MSC ships - especially 'Elegance' (Gala/Formal) nights and

c) there are fewer speciality (for charge) restaurants onboard. For example, Magnifica only has one: Oriental Plaza.

Here's a link to the technical sheet:

http://www.mscpressarea.com/media/corporate-informationitems/attachments/msc-magnifica-technical-sheet.pdf

Bear in mind that, if you do choose MSC Magnifica from Southampton, the atmosphere on board is likely to be a bit different than other Med/European MSC cruises as they are adding/adapting features to give it a more 'British' vibe:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/shipping/15226860.PHOTOS__New_2_500_person_cruise_ship_to_make_Southampton_its_home/

I would say to go for it. MSC is a European cruise line, which I found to be more free and less guided compared to my usual American cruise line, Carnival. You can be as low maintenance as you would like. MSC had some good drink package options, so no problem there. And given MSC's itinerary lineup from Southampton, I think you will be able to plan some amazing excursions, I was personally just looking at the Magnifica for next summer. I cannot compare it to NCL, but I took a gamble and tried MSC< and my Divina cruise ended up being my favorite cruise to date. I would definitely recommend taking a shot at a new line, especially MSC, you may be surprised!

We're going on MSC Magnifica in September, 2018. Given the route and time of year, I wouldn't bet on the weather being too nice for sitting out at night! I would normally say that you are in for a shock, foodwise, if you have sailed only NCL previously but I'm hoping MSC might 'beef up' the food offerings as this route is being 'anglicised' next summer. Excursions will, of course, be overpriced but attractions will be Honfleur(nr Le Havre, Paris is too far imo), Bruges, Amsterdam and Hamburg as DIY local transport options. This blog is very good guidance for some of these ports https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/category/port-reviews/ MSC ships are very elegant and the shows are good, if short. Enjoy! Ken.

PS: I note no 'first time MSC cruisers' have replied!:D

Thank you all for the feedback and Beamafar for the links. The more research I do the better it sounds to me. I will probably book as soon as I book my vacation time for next year. Thanks again

We sailed on Magnifica last year and loved it so much we're booked for a 9 night cruise onboard her in 19 days time.

Thank you all for the feedback and Beamafar for the links. The more research I do the better it sounds to me. I will probably book as soon as I book my vacation time for next year. Thanks again

Oh, and thanks Cruiseireland for the ports info