Tropical Storm Jose

stev5138

Terms like "hundred year storm" and "thousand year storm" are always specific to the area. "Galveston can expect a storm like this every 1000 years." It is possible for one city to have a thousand year storm, and the next year another city have a thousand year storm, and the next year another city have a thousand year storm. Having said that, it could also be that those predictions about how often storms of severity will occur are no longer valid due to climate change.

Terms like "hundred year storm" and "thousand year storm" are always specific to the area. "Galveston can expect a storm like this every 1000 years." It is possible for one city to have a thousand year storm, and the next year another city have a thousand year storm, and the next year another city have a thousand year storm. Having said that, it could also be that those predictions about how often storms of severity will occur are no longer valid due to climate change.

? Do you know where Galveston is? Harvey did hit galveston, and the 1900 hurricane hit Houston.......A hurricane literally cant get to Houston without hitting Galveston first.

I live less than 10 miles from the Gulf. Our summers have been getting milder over the last 20 years. In the mid 90s we would regularly have days over 100° and it was stifling, oppressive and nearly unbearable with the heat and humidity. Fast forward to this year and we've had maybe 10 days that cracked 90°. If this is the result of climate change, I'm very pleased. Everybody needs to keep doing what they're doing.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161004103313.htm

"The psychology behind climate change denial"

The results show that climate change denial correlates with political orientation, authoritarian attitudes and endorsement of the status quo. It also correlates with a tough-minded personality (low empathy and high dominance), closed-mindedness (low openness to experience), predisposition to avoid experiencing negative emotions, and with the male sex.

(I realize that trying to convince climate change deniers with with an article from "Science Daily" is inherently silly. It's cool, go on another Alaska cruise and watch those glaciers melt.)

it was stated that Harvey was 1000 year storm, my point is that there was a similar storm 117 years ago in the same spot....that was my point.
And:
Having said that, it could also be that those predictions about how often storms of severity will occur are no longer valid due to climate change.

I agree, and while I feel that civil authorities should prompt residents to take all reasonable precautions, I do think that media and social media do a gross disservice fostering panic and over-reaction among the general public beyond those living directly in the path of a destructive storm.

And yet if hurricanes become destructive to the point of thousands of lost lives, who gets the blame Then? I can hear it now how negligent the forecasters were, they intentionally killed people, on and on it goes.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

I live less than 10 miles from the Gulf. Our summers have been getting milder over the last 20 years. In the mid 90s we would regularly have days over 100° and it was stifling, oppressive and nearly unbearable with the heat and humidity. Fast forward to this year and we've had maybe 10 days that cracked 90°. If this is the result of climate change, I'm very pleased. Everybody needs to keep doing what they're doing.

The earth as a whole is warming. Don't think locally. Look at the big picture. 2016 was the warmest year on record.