What preparations are needed for cruising? Insurance, Passports, etc.

Good Morning, I realize this is an older post, but hoping someone will see this.

We are going on our first RCI cruise in July. We will have our passports before we leave. Do you still need to bring birth certificates if you have a passport? Also, should we take the passports into the ports for excursions? I don't want to lose them, but if we were to have any issue in port, I want to make sure we are protected.

Thanks in advance!

Are there underage kids in you group? You will need passport and birth certificate for any child that has a different last name than the parent they are traveling with. The birth certificate links the child with the parent.

Family Legal DocumentsShould the last names of the parent sailing with their minorchild differ, the parent is required to present the child’svalid passport book and visa (if required) and the child’sbirth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certifiedcopy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must belinked through legal documentation. Adults who are not theparent or legal guardian of any minor child traveling withthem are required to present the child’s valid passport andvisa (if required) or the child’s birth certificate (original,a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an originalnotarized letter signed by at least one of the child’sparents. The notarized letter from the child’s parent mustauthorize the traveling adult to take the child on thespecific cruise and must authorize the traveling adult tosupervise the child and permit any medical treatmentthat must be administered to the child. If a non-parentadult is a legal guardian, the adult must present a certifiedCertificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/content/faq/top-cruise-questions-answered.pdf

Are there underage kids in you group? You will need passport and birth certificate for any child that has a different last name than the parent they are traveling with. The birth certificate links the child with the parent.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/content/faq/top-cruise-questions-answered.pdf

We do have a 13 year old Son with us, but he has our last name, and a passport. Would I still need his birth certificate? If so, would a copy be sufficient or should I bring the original.

Thank you!

We do have a 13 year old Son with us, but he has our last name, and a passport. Would I still need his birth certificate? If so, would a copy be sufficient or should I bring the original.

Thank you!

Nope, he wouldn't need a birth certificate too because he has the same last name. If he did need it, it would have to be a certified copy or an original, can not just be a photocopy.

Thank you!

Passport is sufficient.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a possible last minute traveler and he does not have a passport but would only have a temporary ID. Would he be able to board? Temporary ID is paper. He would be able to fly I already checked that. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also if he is able to board what is the latest you can make a reservation? We are also doing a closed loop cruise so he would not have to have a passport. I am aware that traveling without a passport is risky. The cruise line is Royal.

Thanks

I have a possible last minute traveler and he does not have a passport but would only have a temporary ID. Would he be able to board? Temporary ID is paper. He would be able to fly I already checked that. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also if he is able to board what is the latest you can make a reservation? We are also doing a closed loop cruise so he would not have to have a passport. I am aware that traveling without a passport is risky. The cruise line is Royal.

Thanks

If he is a US citizen, then he needs a certified copy of hs birth certificate and a govenment issued photo ID.

Not unless that temporary ID is a certified copy of his birth certificate and he also has a government issued photo ID.

He has a certified copy of his birth certificate. He lost his government issued ID and when it gets replaced they issue a paper copy until the actual card arrives 10 or so days later. I do not believe he would have received the actual ID until after the sail date. The paper copy would have all the written info but it is paper,

He has a certified copy of his birth certificate. He lost his government issued ID and when it gets replaced they issue a paper copy until the actual card arrives 10 or so days later. I do not believe he would have received the actual ID until after the sail date. The paper copy would have all the written info but it is paper,

I would call the cruise line ASAP and see what they say.

We do all of those things. Especially the medicine thing. There have been stories over the years of people stranded on ships (for whatever reason) and running out of their meds. We always bring full new prescriptions with us. Always be prepared for the unexpected!