9/23 Harmony of the Seas, hurricane?

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are going to have our honeymoon cruise on Harmony 9/23-9/30. We are flying in from Los Angeles, my wife as growing concern seeing how much damage Irma is putting on the virgin islands..... What are the chances of us catching another hurricane around 9/23? Is there going to be an aftermath of Irma so the islands don't look as beautiful as they normally are?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Derek

That far out there's really no way to tell the odds of another hurricane. Definitely feels like an active season, Jose and Katia are already being watched.

As for the aftermath, some islands will definitely be rough, there is a possibility that cruises to some islands may have their itineraries changed. Sint Maarten got hit really hard, no telling yet when they'll be able to accept cruise ships.

All you can do is keep an eye on things and be ready to go with the flow if any changes need to be made.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are going to have our honeymoon cruise on Harmony 9/23-9/30. We are flying in from Los Angeles, my wife as growing concern seeing how much damage Irma is putting on the virgin islands..... What are the chances of us catching another hurricane around 9/23? Is there going to be an aftermath of Irma so the islands don't look as beautiful as they normally are?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Derek

Derek, I'm no Meteorologist so I can't predict a Hurricane, but what I can tell you is this is Hurricane Season. My wife and I sailed last year when Hurricane Mathew was wreaking havoc in the Caribbean; we were fortunate in that it had NO impact on our Cruise. And we are scheduled to sail on the 16th on Harmony. The Ships will be full, so obviously people do take the risk of sailing during this time. The good news is in the fact that the ship is mobile, and in most cases should be able to stay out of harms way. The impact to Sailing is on the ability of the ship getting in and out of Ports, primarily, in the case of Harmony - Port Everglades.

As far as the Aftermath, who knows what damage will be done to the Islands and how quickly they get back to "normal". I would say this, having sailed on both Oasis and Allure, while the Islands are very nice, in the worst case scenario you don't stop at certain Ports, I can tell you the Ships are wonderful in and of themselves. And who knows, you may have an Itinerary change due to the "aftermath" and still make port stops. It's impossible to predict.

What you may wish to do, if you don't have Travel Insurance, is investigate whether you can Purchase it (typically they will cover some Loss incurred as the Result of cancellation due to impending storm - not sure about after the FACT).

My only concern would be what happens as Irma approaches Florida and what it might do to Port Everglades. I wouldn't be to concerned with a subsequent hurricane, modern day ships are quick and have so much technology they will do what is necessary to avoid the weather and keep passengers safe.

As far as your ports, I would expect some of them to look different for sure. The pictures coming out of Saint Marteen are devastating, it took a really hard hit...and probably still is. I am by no means an expert (I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express though), but I would think that they will divert from Saint Marteen for the near distant future while they get back on their feet and even have the ability to accept thousands of people from multiple cruise lines at a time. I was in Cozumel about 8-9 months after Hurricane Wilma and you could definitely still see the aftermath. A lot of trees knocked down, some beaches that no longer had much sand because it washed away.

With all that said, I wouldn't get too worried over it all. Congrats on your wedding. Enjoy the next few weeks and your Honeymoon, regardless where you go and what the islands look like, you will have a enjoyable and memorable trip.

To the honeymoon couple sailing on the Harmony on the 23rd my wife & I will be right with you on this sailing ( doing a B2B ) celebrating our 60th annv. so we have a lot in common but like my wife said no matter what happens we will do it together.

george35

Hello everyone,

What are the chances of us catching another hurricane around 9/23? Is there going to be an aftermath of Irma so the islands don't look as beautiful as they normally are?

Oh my.

1. No one can predict if or when another hurricane will occur nor how strong it will be or its path. But September is historically one of the most active months of hurricane season and there are currently 3 named storms. Take that however you like.

2. Yes, there will be aftermath. Guaranteed. How severe for any particular island depends on how close Irma comes to it, and how strong she is at the time she hits. Barbuda took a pretty direct hit and there are already pictures surfacing showing catastrophic damage.