Free cruise theory

coolcruiser777

The NCL Escape sailing for this Saturday has been cancelled. Passengers will receive an 100% refund PLUS a 50% cruise credit. It was kind of inevitable that they were going to cancel because of Irma, but waited until Tuesday. In theory, if you were to book a $10,000 Haven suite Monday night right before they cancelled the cruise, couldn't you technically get a free cruise out of it with the $5000 future cruise cash?

If you had only known....

About 1 hr before they cancelled the cruise, I received an email saying that my bid to upgrade to Haven had been accepted for $1000/pp. Checked and they indeed charged my credit card. Now, after they refund it all I should have an extra $1000 credit to book next cruise!

The NCL Escape sailing for this Saturday has been cancelled. Passengers will receive an 100% refund PLUS a 50% cruise credit. It was kind of inevitable that they were going to cancel because of Irma, but waited until Tuesday. In theory, if you were to book a $10,000 Haven suite Monday night right before they cancelled the cruise, couldn't you technically get a free cruise out of it with the $5000 future cruise cash?

Yes, sounds right. Of course you wouldn't get the Haven but you sure would get a nice mini suite :)

I think the way it usually works with many cruise lines, is that the percent offered is off the price of your next cruise. So, if you spent $10,000 on this cruise, you do not get $5,000 to spend on another cruise. Rather, if your next cruise is $5,000, you get 50% off which is actually $2,500.

I think the way it usually works with many cruise lines, is that the percent offered is off the price of your next cruise. So, if you spent $10,000 on this cruise, you do not get $5,000 to spend on another cruise. Rather, if your next cruise is $5,000, you get 50% off which is actually $2,500.

If true, that's a terrible business decision. I can't believe that is how it would work. So someone who had an inside stateroom on this cruise gets 50% off the price of a garden villa on their next cruise? Is this deal contingent on selecting the same stateroom category? If so, then perhaps 50% off the future fare would work.

Tying it to what they were willing to spend on this cruise would be a far more rational decision all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my first hand experience on NCL, this is not accurate. You will not get 50% off your next cruise.

With your dollar example, I received $5000 (minus original taxes/fees/port charges) towards my next cruise. The 50% off is used to determine the dollar value off the next cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No matter how they figure the 50% it is a awesome move my NCL. After all, they had no control over this whole thing. But they are refunding 100% of the cruise. Even if you never cruise again, they covered that part.

And throwing is a serious discount on your next cruise.

That would not be correct based on our past experience with NCL unless they have changed how they are doing things. For us it was 50% of what we paid for the cruise that was altered.