Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

I feel the need to jump in here. You've booked a week long cruise leaving on the 10th. RC is attempting to be accomodating by offering the discounts and sailing on a shortened itinerary departing on the 13th. You said that "if you cannot cruise on the 13th".... if you booked a week long voyage, why wouldn't be able to cruise on the 13th? Assume such people work and have booked holidays, the 13th shouldn't be an issue in departing on that date.

Now, to address the safety concerns and deeper issues, sure you have a point, but if passengers choose to cruise, that's up to them due to the acommodations that RC is making. Granted, it's not RC's fault that the hurricane occurred, however, they are making accomodations.

I'm on a March break cruise with the family and as of now, St. Maarten no longer exists, and St. Kitts and Antigua probably won't be there either. I'm sure by then, RC will make accomodations......otherwise,we spend the week in PR (if that's still there too).

Just my two cents.

We are supposed to be on Harmony on the 9th, but it will sail on the 12th for 4 nights instead, with a 50% refundable OBC and 50% off a future cruise. This is a good offer, however we live in Panama City, Fl., which is 550 miles from Ft. Lauderdale and the highways might be damaged, plus it might be hard to find gas, also will the port and staff be able to open. Yes, we did buy insurance but you only get a75% refund. I am going to call tomorrow and ask what is the latest time to make a decision.

I feel the need to jump in here. You've booked a week long cruise leaving on the 10th. RC is attempting to be accomodating by offering the discounts and sailing on a shortened itinerary departing on the 13th. You said that "if you cannot cruise on the 13th".... if you booked a week long voyage, why wouldn't be able to cruise on the 13th? Assume such people work and have booked holidays, the 13th shouldn't be an issue in departing on that date.

Now, to address the safety concerns and deeper issues, sure you have a point, but if passengers choose to cruise, that's up to them due to the acommodations that RC is making. Granted, it's not RC's fault that the hurricane occurred, however, they are making accomodations.

I'm on a March break cruise with the family and as of now, St. Maarten no longer exists, and St. Kitts and Antigua probably won't be there either. I'm sure by then, RC will make accomodations......otherwise,we spend the week in PR (if that's still there too).

Just my two cents.

If the OP isn't local they would need to either change flights or find a hotel for 3 nights.

I do purchase cruise insurance and I would hope I'd be covered if I were sailing in hurricane season with a hurricane heading for my departure port. Having said that, if the cruise line realizes it can't deliver what I purchased, and I know I read the contract about changing ports, meaning my 7 day cruise is reduced to 3 days, why should they not refund my money?

That's a good point. I know the contract says they can change ports, but what does it say about changing the number of days of your cruise? I would think if you buy a 7 day cruise and they can only give you 3, they should give you a refund in the form of cash, not a future cruise certificate that has to be used in a year.

Some people may have already planned their vacations for the following year, and won't be able to fit in another cruise, meaning their certificate will expire, and Royal has kept their money. I would be pissed!!! Then again, I would never consider taking a cruise during hurricane season without insurance, and rather, I wouldn't take a cruise during hurricane season period. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are supposed to be on Harmony on the 9th, but it will sail on the 12th for 4 nights instead, with a 50% refundable OBC and 50% off a future cruise. This is a good offer, however we live in Panama City, Fl., which is 550 miles from Ft. Lauderdale and the highways might be damaged, plus it might be hard to find gas, also will the port and staff be able to open. Yes, we did buy insurance but you only get a75% refund. I am going to call tomorrow and ask what is the latest time to make a decision.

You're in a similar situation. We appreciate the offer for the later/lesser sailing but we also have no idea what we would be driving into. I'm assuming RC will notify us when we need to chose if we want to cancel or go with the other offer? Being in Naples we are not faced with your drive but we are also currently in the danger zone. It really depends on how much damage we sustain that will allow us the proposed 13th departure. I have a feeling that both of our new dates will be cancelled regardless. The storm needs to make a major spin to the east for the port to be functional. Good Luck!

For us relating to last weeks story in Galveston and this weeks story in Florida by reason that we have always flown in on the day of the cruise and not having the added expense of a hotel room and other inconveniences that go with traveling a day or more before the cruise is the way to go and we always purchase travel insurance; on our one time cancellation relating to a snowstorm all monies were returned to us, but we were still disappointed that we couldn't go.

I see so many people complaining about the cruiselines not giving them all their money back.

This is what Trip insurance is for. A cruiseline (or any vacation) is not there to hand money out if something out of their control happens.

We all should know the ramifications of booking trips and cancellation fees, and trip insurance is very cheap. I just paid 100 bucks for 3 of us for our Allure trip 10/1 a few weeks ago. So glad I have that peace of mind and will not be worrying about problems if they arise. That's my responsibility as a consumer.

Would you drive your car without insurance? I have been in the insurance industry for 30 years and have seen more people than I can count try to save a few bucks on insurance (of any kind) and pay an immense price for it in the end.

Could you send the insurance information?

Both of which may be difficult, or even impossible.

Exactly. I am local so if the roads are passable, my home intact and the port is open we can sail a few day's later without added expense. We actually love that option are are very appreciative of the generous offer. I have no idea when we are expected to make these reservation though or if they will be possible. The problem as you stated is if you are not local it's doubtful you will find accommodations and if by chance you can get here leaving may be an issue if the new cruise date is cancelled. It's complicated especially with the anticipated storm surge impacts even if IRMA heads way east. Messy situation.

Exactly...insurance is a risk assessment....your own. Why would RCI or any vacation destination be on the line for anyone's risk assessment choices?

Yes, you would get 100% percent back.. you insure the amount you paid..plus there is trip interruption..delays etc. Insurance has a lot of benefits. Some policies even pay for changed ports.

The hurricane is no different than any other reason...in fact its a bigger reason to take it when you are cruising in hurricane season.

This is exactly why my folks advice to us when they sort of passed the cruise baton, rule #1, always, always, always get the insurance. It's saved their bacon a couple times too.

Set to sail on the Allure September 10th. IRMA, not going to happen, RC chooses not to cancel the cruise but to delay departure till Wednesday the 13th and shorten duration to 4 day's instead of 7. A 50% refundable on-board credit to whom choose to sail on the 13th along with an additional 50% credit for a future booking. The above is gracious and in my opinion more than fair. Unfortunately, if you CANNOT cruise on the 13th there will be no refund, no future incentive, just your fare credit applied to a future cruise with Royal.

Other recent cruises have been cancelled due to IRMA and customers have been given a full refund to the method they paid and are being offered an additional 25% credit if they book another RC cruise within 30 days. This I also feel is fair and considerate.

Where I take issue is the fact that my paid in full 7 day cruise is essentially cancelled but a full refund is not an option. I find myself in a position of my cruise fare being held hostage without compensation unless I put myself and my family at risk attempting to depart on the 13th. Being faced with a CAT 5 hurricane how does one actually prepare for a departure when the chances are high the port may be closed, flooded, unable to be staffed, etc.? Being frugal, still wanting to salvage some of our vacation along with benefiting from RC's generous 13th sailing incentives I'm tempted to make plans for the 13th. I know I am not alone and I understand RC wants to up it's retention and that's why the incentives are so good for the 13th. I'm one of the "lucky" ones though, I live in Naples, if my home is still standing and the port is open and everything is honky-dory, we can make that 13th date work. I'm just concerned for others that might be trying the same thing and putting themselves in harms way. Right now it's hard to find water, fuel, food, etc. If Florida gets nailed it's the last place you will want to be, especially if you don't live here.

I contacted RC about this. They were very cordial but remained firm that their customers come 1st and they take our safety seriously. I disagree, my thoughts are it's a fiscal decision that borders on recklessness. I'm sure some folks that live here in Florida could use their cruise fare to evacuate, not going to happen. Hopefully all will work out and this beast veers way east and we are all spared, including RC but for the time being I'm feeling a little less love from the folks at RC making these decisions. Can you imagine making it here for the 13th or scheduling and paying for flights/travel just to find out that the 13th sailing will be cancelled? The storm is not RC's fault but how they are handling this situation just seems flat out wrong and possibly dangerous for some. Anyone else out there feel the same?

Dispute the charge with your credit card company. Services not provided / services not as described. Even if you paid it off you can still get your money back.

they offered to sell you something and took your money, but did not provide the goods or services they sold you.

Too bad if the billion dollar company loses money due to a hurricane. Thats the chance they take selling cruises during hurricane season.

Dispute the charge with your credit card company. Services not provided / services not as described. Even if you paid it off you can still get your money back.

they offered to sell you something and took your money, but did not provide the goods or services they sold you.

Too bad if the billion dollar company loses money due to a hurricane. Thats the chance they take selling cruises during hurricane season.

Very poor advice...they are giving a credit with their company..no credit card company is going to reverse the charges.

They aren't taking a chance selling you cruises during hurricane season..you are purchasing a cruise during hurricane season...taking your own chances...that's why you get insurance.

Very poor advice...they are giving a credit with their company..no credit card company is going to reverse the charges.

Amex

On the one hand, having insurance is key, especially if you are unable to make it to the cruise. If someone is unable to cruise in the time frame provided or find a comparable price cruised that is an issue. So I understand people not going wanting an actual refund. Seems like insurance at best would provide 75% back to you, minus cost of insurance though.

They are a week out from the next planned cruises and a lot could change and / or be canceled still, in which case they would offer refunds, not just credits.

I did a bit more research. As long as I contact RC before the Allure "possibly" sails on the 13th they will honor the 100% FCC. They actually would "appreciate" you cancelling as early as possible. I think this is why they are delaying a cancellation for the 13th, I really feel that will be inevitable. If you didn't do your due-diligence and understand what cancelling your own cruise means before they do could leave you with just an FCC and zero 25% FCC. I can live with just the FCC but would certainly appreciate a full cancellation by RC with 100% refund AND 25% FCC if you book another cruise within 30 days. Guess I need to give them a bit more time to verify whether or not they will sail on the 13th.

From the RCI website it says they will offer 100% credit.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=10

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

And if THEY cancel, not you, they give 100% refund along with a 25% FCC if you book another cruise for another date within 30 day's of the cancellation.

I think that RCI is in a bad position - damned if they do, damned if they don't. I have heard lots of complaints too about them canceling the cruise all together because people are saying they can't get back their vacation time. I think people need to be smart and decide for themselves what is right. For someone in Florida it might be easier for them to take a short cruise, assuming their home and family is safe. We don't know yet what is going to happen with this storm beyond the next couple of days. And you essentially get a free cruise if you take the 50% refundable OBC + 50% future cruise credit.

But things change literally every few hours. The RCI Facebook last said that they may change the destination of the Allure Sept 10 cruise to Labadee if the Bahamas gets hit. So the cruise may be refundable. At this point, almost all major airlines are offering refunds or free flight changes. There is cruise insurance and some credit cards also offer travel protection. Essentially there are many options on the table and the options may change in a couple of days. RCI is a business and they are losing tons of money on a weekly basis because of the weather and considering they can't control the weather, I think they are being fairly generous.

I think at this point I have learned that when I plan a trip with a cruise line and don't take the travel insurance (particularly during hurricane season), I am committing to going on a cruise, whether or not it occurs the days I planned.

Amex

On the one hand, having insurance is key, especially if you are unable to make it to the cruise. If someone is unable to cruise in the time frame provided or find a comparable price cruised that is an issue. So I understand people not going wanting an actual refund. Seems like insurance at best would provide 75% back to you, minus cost of insurance though.

They are a week out from the next planned cruises and a lot could change and / or be canceled still, in which case they would offer refunds, not just credits.

75% comes into play when the "cancel for any reason" clause is used (if applicable).

If your travel is cancelled, for a covered reason, you are reimbursed 100% of your insured cost of the trip. The cost of the insurance is a fraction of the total cost of the trip usually.

Plus you have many other benefits other than cancellation when you buy trip insurance....medical, dental, trip delay, baggage lost or delay etc.

A few years ago, our flight got delayed due to an ice storm for over 6 hrs, and our baggage didn't get transferred to the next plane, so we showed up for our cruise with no luggage. We were reimbursed for our delay and for all our luggage. It was a life saver and actually way more in coverage than we even experience in our temporary loss.