Activities for injured teen? PS2 hook up?

ams cruiser

My athletic/active 13 yr. old was recently diagnosed with a fractured back and is in a full body brace. His doctor has put him on a very restricted regimen-no swimming, running, basketball,hiking, or anything that jars his back (e.g. horseback riding, ATV riding, etc.) If anyone has suggestions for on board or shore activities (Cabo, Matzalan, PV), I would greatly appreciate it. He's not much of a reader, and is used to being very physically active. He has asked if he could bring his Play Station 2. Does anyone know if it is possible to hook a PS2 to the TV in the Sapphire mini-suites? Normally I wouldn't dream of bringing one on board, but I've heard the arcade can get expensive, and his cousins will be busy with the physical activites he won't be allowed to do. This has thrown us for a loop, but we want to try to make the best of it.

I would appreciate any suggestions, as there seems to be an answer for everything on these boards! (We will be on a 7-day cruise over Christmas.)

I also have a very active 13 year old boy. How about investing in a portable dvd player that you can hook a ps2 up to? I just purchased a dual screen Emerson at Wal-Mart for $149.99 to keep the kids entertained during down time. Good luck with the suggestions and have a great cruise.

The TV's on any Princess ship we've been on had an RCA jack on the front for hooking up a camcorder, camera, DVD player, video game, etc. There are not a lot of outlets in the rooms though and I'm not sure if there are any close to the TV so an extension cord that will fit the PS2's AC adapter might not be a bad idea.

Hope he can make the best of it and still enjoy the cruise!

Scott

I also have a very active 13 year old boy. How about investing in a portable dvd player that you can hook a ps2 up to? I just purchased a dual screen Emerson at Wal-Mart for $149.99 to keep the kids entertained during down time. Good luck with the suggestions and have a great cruise.

I didn't know that PS2s would work with portble DVDs. I wonder if it will work with my ibook laptop? Thanks for the suggestion, usgoobers5!

The TV's on any Princess ship we've been on had an RCA jack on the front for hooking up a camcorder, camera, DVD player, video game, etc. There are not a lot of outlets in the rooms though and I'm not sure if there are any close to the TV so an extension cord that will fit the PS2's AC adapter might not be a bad idea.

Hope he can make the best of it and still enjoy the cruise!

Scott

This is great news! I had already planned on bringing a couple of power strips. Thanks so much, Scott!

:)

Regarding excursions, does Princess designate which ones are handicapped accessible (i.e. not strenuous)? That might be a place to start. Also, have him be careful on the ship - those decks are awfully slippery at times. What a bummer.

Regarding excursions, does Princess designate which ones are handicapped accessible (i.e. not strenuous)? That might be a place to start. Also, have him be careful on the ship - those decks are awfully slippery at times. What a bummer.

Princess does designate less strenuous excursions. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, most of these itineraries seem to be geared towards shopping and sightseeing that is more appealing to adults. I'll pass on the warning about the decks. Thanks for your concern!

Ams... my daughter and I are on the same cruise (Sapphire Princess, 12/24). She broke both leg bones in her right leg at the ankle last May and is still having problems and will probably be wearing her boot or a brace on the cruise. We're also looking at less-strenuous excursions where she wouldn't put weight or pressure on her foot, even snorkling where getting back on the boat could be a problem. We've signed up for only one excursion, in Cabo: a boat trip that goes to the arches and then whale watching. She's a bit older than your son (she teaches 8th grade math) but we'd be interested in any tours you find that are interesting but don't hurt her. A couple of tours that I saw in Mazatlan and PV take you to a resort where you can swim, snorkle from the beach or do anything you want to. We might do those but won't decide until get get onboard.

Hi again AMS Cruiser,

This is bringing back memories. I had 3 vertebral compression fractures about 24 yrs ago & was in a brace and/or bedridden for 3 months. Just be careful - everytime I had to go out of the house to dr I would end up re-injuring myself. Any wrong move & seemed like I had a set back. I think being on a ship would be really difficult - trying to keep my balance on a moving ship, being possibly bumped by people, not to mention being jostled on a bus. Just my $.02.

Ams... my daughter and I are on the same cruise (Sapphire Princess, 12/24). She broke both leg bones in her right leg at the ankle last May and is still having problems and will probably be wearing her boot or a brace on the cruise. We're also looking at less-strenuous excursions where she wouldn't put weight or pressure on her foot, even snorkling where getting back on the boat could be a problem. We've signed up for only one excursion, in Cabo: a boat trip that goes to the arches and then whale watching. She's a bit older than your son (she teaches 8th grade math) but we'd be interested in any tours you find that are interesting but don't hurt her. A couple of tours that I saw in Mazatlan and PV take you to a resort where you can swim, snorkle from the beach or do anything you want to. We might do those but won't decide until get get onboard.

Pam, I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I'll let you know if I find something that sounds promising. Like you, at this point we'll probably wait until we get onboard to make decisions. Unfortunately, I tend to get seasick, especially on smaller boats, so I think that whale watching is probably out for us! Before my son was injured, I was going to sign him up for some of the more physical activities with his cousins (tree swinging, etc.) while the more sedate members of our family did some sighteseeing on land. Finding something that we all can enjoy on shore is now a little more challenging.

Hi again AMS Cruiser,

This is bringing back memories. I had 3 vertebral compression fractures about 24 yrs ago & was in a brace and/or bedridden for 3 months. Just be careful - everytime I had to go out of the house to dr I would end up re-injuring myself. Any wrong move & seemed like I had a set back. I think being on a ship would be really difficult - trying to keep my balance on a moving ship, being possibly bumped by people, not to mention being jostled on a bus. Just my $.02.

Mrs. Boo - Thanks for your concerns. I think my son will be okay on the ship. He's extremely sure-footed, and will negotiate a tilting floor much better than his parents, and grandmother! As for the crowds, probably not much worse than middle school hallways! :)

I didn't know that PS2s would work with portble DVDs. I wonder if it will work with my ibook laptop? Thanks for the suggestion, usgoobers5!

I am a videogame geek. You do not need a portable DVD player for a PS2. You can get a mobile monitor made specifically for the PS2. The PS2 is already a DVD player...no need for duplication and bulk. Your son will think the monitor is cool. It turns the PS2 into a giant PSP. If you really want to spoil him, just get him a PSP. They are very portable and multifunctional. Here is a PSP link. http://www.us.playstation.com/psp.aspx

:D

I am a videogame geek. You do not need a portable DVD player for a PS2. You can get a mobile monitor made specifically for the PS2. The PS2 is already a DVD player...no need for duplication and bulk. Your son will think the monitor is cool. It turns the PS2 into a giant PSP. If you really want to spoil him, just get him a PSP. They are very portable and multifunctional. Here is a PSP link. http://www.us.playstation.com/psp.aspx

:D

Pamwinn - Thanks for the info. What is the mobile monitor, and where do you get it? I was debating about a PSP, as my son (and all his friends) want one. An older teenager who loves videogames advised me to wait on the PSP until they make more games, and the price on the PSP comes down. I don't think my son would use the functions other than the video games, because he already has an ipod for music, but I could be wrong. I was thinking, however, that the PSP might be great portable entertainment for him with his physical restrictions on this cruise.

My athletic/active 13 yr. old was recently diagnosed with a fractured back and is in a full body brace. His doctor has put him on a very restricted regimen-no swimming, running, basketball,hiking, or anything that jars his back (e.g. horseback riding, ATV riding, etc.) If anyone has suggestions for on board or shore activities (Cabo, Matzalan, PV), I would greatly appreciate it. He's not much of a reader, and is used to being very physically active. He has asked if he could bring his Play Station 2. Does anyone know if it is possible to hook a PS2 to the TV in the Sapphire mini-suites? Normally I wouldn't dream of bringing one on board, but I've heard the arcade can get expensive, and his cousins will be busy with the physical activites he won't be allowed to do. This has thrown us for a loop, but we want to try to make the best of it.

I would appreciate any suggestions, as there seems to be an answer for everything on these boards! (We will be on a 7-day cruise over Christmas.)

You are not going to like me here, but Did you take insurance? What does the Dcotor say about it? There is a lot of physical movement required just getting around the ship. If you have insurance, you may want to file a claim and reschedule. This happened with my mom in August, had neck surgery, but due to the lifting restrictions, and just lack of being able to participate in any of the activities, her doc signed a form that basically advised against travel, and we rebooked for this spring.

Just a thought, because your teen will not get to enjoy nearly as much on the cruise as they should!

Scott

Hi again AMS Cruiser,

Agree Exactally (See my above reply)

Most stores that have a decent selection of PS2 Games will sell the monitors. They probably have them at Walmart though I've never looked. I know stores like Circuit City, BestBuy etc would have them.

My feeling about waiting for new technology is as soon as you buy something, think computers or digital camera's as examples, something better and cheaper will come out. I just bought a video iPod, so I know the bluetooth enabled iPod, camera, phone is probably right around the corner. That PSP will be a lot easier to pack. If you go with the PS2, you might want to consider wireless controllers so you won't be tripping over wires.

... or studying sea life or anything like that? Instead of thinking about how he is missing all the physical activities, why not turn a positive slant on it and make this more of an intelectual or artistic journey? Get him a decent, lightweight camera or start a journal or project on whales, dolphins, etc. that he can concentrate on during the times when he would have been doing physical stuff. Maybe he is mechanically inclined and wants to learn about the operation of the ship. Perhaps the CD could arrange some interviews with the crew. He could also meet with and talk to passengers on many subjects, like where they are from, why do they cruise, etc.

Just some ideas.

Suzy

You are not going to like me here, but Did you take insurance? What does the Dcotor say about it? There is a lot of physical movement required just getting around the ship. If you have insurance, you may want to file a claim and reschedule. This happened with my mom in August, had neck surgery, but due to the lifting restrictions, and just lack of being able to participate in any of the activities, her doc signed a form that basically advised against travel, and we rebooked for this spring.

Just a thought, because your teen will not get to enjoy nearly as much on the cruise as they should!

Scott

I'm glad you posted this piece of advice ... because otherwise I was planning to. Just being aboard ship could be dangerous for a kid in this condition. Sometimes you could run into high seas which would present a falling hazard. An able-bodied person can easily fall in their cabin just going from the bathroom back to the bedroom area if the seas are particularly rough.

If the parents are determined to bring their son on the cruise in his current condition, I would advise them to rent a wheelchair for the boy. At least then if the seas are rough, he'll be a bit safer with mom or dad pushing him around the ship rather than trying to get around on his own. Of course, I can't help but wonder how much fun a kid under such severe activity restrictions is gonna have onboard a ship where he can do very little. Wouldn't he be much more comfortable at home ... where he has all of his "stuff" to keep him entertained?

I, too, hope they took out insurance. Then they can get the boy's doctor to write a note advising against travel for him, and just reschedule their cruise for a better time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thanks, for all your concerns. We did purchase insurance, and if it were just our immediate family, I would postpone it in a heartbeat, however, this is a multi-generational, extended family trip planned for two elderly grandmothers.

My son's orthopedic doctor has given the green light for the trip, as long as he doesn't swim, play basketball, go ATV riding, etc. I didn't mean to to give the impression that he is in need of a wheelchair. He is quite mobile, agile, (and pain-free), and the hardest part is going to be holding him back from all of the things he wants to do.

(Hearing about the possible rough seas, and possibility of falling does give me some concerns about the grandmothers,although both are experienced cruisers.)

I thank you for your suggestions about photography, learning about the ship, video equipment resources, etc. I know my son will enjoy most aspects of the cruise, and perhaps see and experience some things that he would have missed with his normal level of sports and physical activity.

Archived