Pride of America (POA) August 26, 2017 Review

fligster

Looks like quick and easy walk. We are renting from there as well. Was it a good experience? How far was the actual walk?

In Maui on the second day we rented a car from Enterprise near the port. This video is a brief summary of us walking back and what the area is like and what you can expect. I know I was a little concerned prior to our cruise, cause I wasn't sure how it would be walking to the rental car.

epxSZeDAHec

We rented in Maui and found it a difficult experience. The car rental companies there do not pick up at the cruise ships so we tried using ride share. Uber and Lyft are there but not allowed to come anywhere near the pier so we were forced to walk a good distance to meet up with our Lyft driver. The drop-off was worse as the airport does not allow ride share at the airport. So after dropping off our car we had to take the shuttle back to the airport to catch a taxi. That took a lot of time and when we got in the taxi and the driver learned were were going to the pier, she started yelling that she missed out on a long fare and we had to give her a big tip. Her attitude was horrendous. We told her that taxi drivers can't have it both ways: Block ride share companies from the pier and airport yet complain when a rider needs a short ride. What we should have done at Maui airport is walk off the grounds to meet up with a ride share. It would have been a short walk and a lot quicker and cheaper than what we experienced.

Looks like quick and easy walk. We are renting from there as well. Was it a good experience? How far was the actual walk?

It was fairly quick and easy. The farthest part is actually walking in the port area. It maybe took 15 minutes or so, and is less than a mile. It was easy, flat with sidewalks.

Enterprise was a great experience. They didn't open until 7 am and we were meeting our Snorkel guide as early as possible on the other side of the island, so we waited outside the gate to be the first one in line. Another couple was there returning but they took us first and it was fairly quick. They were very friendly and the agent even upgraded us to a car that was clean and ready so we wouldn't have to wait longer than needed to. Best of all used our corporate rate and only paid about $30 total for the day. They couldn't even believe the rate we got.

We returned the car around 2:30 or so. They told us they had 40+ returns scheduled for the afternoon, but we missed the rush and not an issue.

We also used Enterprise (At the Marriott) in Kauai and that worked out as well, since a short walk from Pier as well. I'll have a video of that up in the next day or so.

In Kauai, on the second port day, we walked to the beach at the Marriott, it is a quick walk, less than a mile and about 10-15 minutes. The beach there was ok for being so close. We didn't have that much footage of walking back, but here is what the beach was like and what footage of the walk we did have. We also did this walk to rent a car from Enterprise at Marriott the first day, since the price was right (around $30 total for the day for economy but got upgraded to a Jeep for free) and was convenient. We walked back around 9:30 pm at night, and it seemed safe, there were others walking as well.

KUlKMW74JXM

Thank you so much for posting your review. We are on POA in May 2018. We travel with a manual wheelchair, so actually seeing videos and photos, helps us get a 'feel of the land' and gives us an idea of what to expect.

I'm glad they are useful for someone. You should have a great time. We can't wait to get back to Hawaii.

Last of the lost footage. While waiting for our hotel room to be ready for check-in, we happened upon the U.S. Army Museum of Hawaii and decided to check it out since it was free. Here is a quick sampling of the exhibits.

0sdIrcHAr9M

• 3 weeks later...

Fligster,

When you went to the Polynesian Cultural Center, did you stay for a meal and the evening show? If so, how did you like it?

Assuming you stayed for the evening show, did you feel it took away from your enjoyment of the performance at Smith's Luau?

I am trying to decide if it's wise to do both, esp since neither is inexpensive...

Thanks much.

Fligster,

When you went to the Polynesian Cultural Center, did you stay for a meal and the evening show? If so, how did you like it?

Assuming you stayed for the evening show, did you feel it took away from your enjoyment of the performance at Smith's Luau?

I am trying to decide if it's wise to do both, esp since neither is inexpensive...

Thanks much.

Yes, we stayed for the luau dinner show at PCC. I think the Smiths luau and show was much much better than the PCC one, especially the food. If only doing one I would do Smiths for sure. Since I think Smiths was so much better it didn’t alter my enjoyment of it since not exactly the same as PCC. I would of been disappointed had we gone to Smiths first and then PCC, but going to the better one second was a pleasant surprise since we had nothing to compare PCC to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow I am kind of surprised to hear this since the PCC show has been really made to sound like Broadway quality :)

If we go to Smiths or one of the other highly regarded luaus, would you suggest skipping the show at PCC and just doing the day activities there? (PCC visit will definitely happen first, itinerary-wise)

Wow I am kind of surprised to hear this since the PCC show has been really made to sound like Broadway quality :)

If we go to Smiths or one of the other highly regarded luaus, would you suggest skipping the show at PCC and just doing the day activities there? (PCC visit will definitely happen first, itinerary-wise)

Sorry, Let me clarify my answer. I was comparing luau to luau and there are a couple of shows.

First, Smith's. There is an emu unloading ceremony, then a dinner buffet where there are some musicians playing and then after dinner there is a show in a separate theater. The buffet and show were excellent and I highly recommend this, even if it is the only luau you will go to. They have beautiful grounds but it isn't that large, but you can walk around a little.

For PCC, we went to the Dinner Buffet Luau after going through the grounds all day. This was a buffet meal and they have a stage where they perform various dances, have a guy twirling fire etc. The show part of this luau was OK but I much preferred Smith's. The buffet was really lackluster compared to Smith's. I wouldn't recommend this to be the only Luau someone goes to.

Also at PCC, there is a "Ha Breath of Life" show that is just a show later in the evening. This is what you must be referring to in regards to a Broadway like show, it has a story, music and dancing. I have been to multiple Broadway shows in NYC (Wicked, Lion King, Play That Goes Wrong, etc) and I didn't think Broadway when I saw this show. This show was ok, but a lot of if was very similar to what we saw throughout the day at the various villages. We actually left early because we were not too entertained and it was getting late, we had been walking around PCC since after noon and we had an hour drive back to our hotel. It is really a lot to take in at PCC in one day. We could of went back within 2 days I think with our tickets, but since it was 1 hour away, we didn't think it was worth it, we had seen enough.

Sorry if my first response was confusing as I was only comparing the actual Luau's.

Sorry, Let me clarify my answer. I was comparing luau to luau and there are a couple of shows.

First, Smith's. There is an emu unloading ceremony, then a dinner buffet where there are some musicians playing and then after dinner there is a show in a separate theater. The buffet and show were excellent and I highly recommend this, even if it is the only luau you will go to. They have beautiful grounds but it isn't that large, but you can walk around a little.

For PCC, we went to the Dinner Buffet Luau after going through the grounds all day. This was a buffet meal and they have a stage where they perform various dances, have a guy twirling fire etc. The show part of this luau was OK but I much preferred Smith's. The buffet was really lackluster compared to Smith's. I wouldn't recommend this to be the only Luau someone goes to.

Also at PCC, there is a "Ha Breath of Life" show that is just a show later in the evening. This is what you must be referring to in regards to a Broadway like show, it has a story, music and dancing. I have been to multiple Broadway shows in NYC (Wicked, Lion King, Play That Goes Wrong, etc) and I didn't think Broadway when I saw this show. This show was ok, but a lot of if was very similar to what we saw throughout the day at the various villages. We actually left early because we were not too entertained and it was getting late, we had been walking around PCC since after noon and we had an hour drive back to our hotel. It is really a lot to take in at PCC in one day. We could of went back within 2 days I think with our tickets, but since it was 1 hour away, we didn't think it was worth it, we had seen enough.

Sorry if my first response was confusing as I was only comparing the actual Luau's.

I am glad you clarified. We are definitely planning on attending a luau, not at PCC. I think we will consider just going to PCC for the daytime activities and save the "show" for the luau we end up attending.

Thanks so much!

You are making me really re-think our reservations for the luau/show at PCC pre-cruise. My theory was, we have 4 days in Oahu and need to eat, let's do the luau there! While on the ship, we figured to eat on the ship since meals are already paid for. ;-) But if the PCC show is really not good, I want to make sure we get the best experience.

You are making me really re-think our reservations for the luau/show at PCC pre-cruise. My theory was' date=' we have 4 days in Oahu and need to eat, let's do the luau there! While on the ship, we figured to eat on the ship since meals are already paid for. ;-) But if the PCC show is really not good, I want to make sure we get the best experience.[/quote']

We booked the full day tour at PCC including the luau. Though I have read good reviews about other luaus this fit into our plan better. Like you, we plan to eat on the ship as much as possible and felt this luau fit better into that plan.

• 1 month later...

Fligster,

Another question. On the last day of the cruise in Kauai, the itinerary currently says departure at 2:00pm...was it the same when you went? What time were you told to be back to the ship? I'm planning out the two days there and since it's such a short day there, a half-hour or hour make a difference.

Thanks much.

Fligster,

Another question. On the last day of the cruise in Kauai, the itinerary currently says departure at 2:00pm...was it the same when you went? What time were you told to be back to the ship? I'm planning out the two days there and since it's such a short day there, a half-hour or hour make a difference.

Thanks much.

For a 2 departure the all aboard would be 1:30. My DW and I are just back from a great Hawaii cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking at pics and found this one that shows the dress guidelines for dining. I also found some lost footage from our transfer from the Marriott to the POA, so will be posting short video of that later tonight or tomorrow.

47bed23bd0ce4a87560131dc8600ada4.jpg

• 1 month later...