MSC Seaside – Ghost passenger to get 2b2b Grand Suite

Kitties26

I’m wanting to book on MSC Seaside in one of the GrandSuites, but with the debacle of many of the 2b2b suites turning out to be only1b1b suites, I wanted to make sure I got one of the centre 2b2b ones. When trying to book online or through our TAin Australia, I’m only able to get one of the side GS for four people. When Ichange our booking to five people, I can choose the middle one (11001).

I was thinking of adding a 5th ghost passenger tothe booking so I can get the room I want. I am wondering whether that 5thperson can be a child or whether it has to be an Adult. The TA is saying it would be better to be anAdult, as they would be less likely to charge additional fees for the no showon check-in. But adding the ghost as adult adds $1600 to the price, as a child its only $400 extra. The TA also said thatthe MSC policy says we could be charged a cancellation fee at check-in due tothe loss of revenue of the no-show, at up to $60 a day. Has anyone every hadthis.

If you couldn’t get the 2b2b GS in the middle looking outthe front, what other room/s would you go for? We are two adults and two children and prefer more space over special benefits.

The no-show penalty is to discourage what you're trying to do - book a cabin that MSC wants 5 people in, when there are only 4 in your party. While I sympathise with your situation, I can also see if from MSC's POV.

Also, those cabins were built to accommodate a party of 5. It would hardly be fair that someone needing one of them would be denied by those doing what you're looking to do.

I have just come off the Divina after a week in the Yacht Club, picked up a brochure on the Seaside as we have booked it for next August and it clearly states that the only Two Bedroom GS Suites are14001, 12001 and 11001, luckily I booked 12001 for next August. So it looks like there will only be three two bedroom GS suites.

The no-show penalty is to discourage what you're trying to do - book a cabin that MSC wants 5 people in, when there are only 4 in your party. While I sympathise with your situation, I can also see if from MSC's POV.

Also, those cabins were built to accommodate a party of 5. It would hardly be fair that someone needing one of them would be denied by those doing what you're looking to do.

I totally agree. Having said that, sometimes you have to pay for what you want. If it is that important to you, pay the fees and get the room you want. Even though I don't think it's totally fair to block a party of 5. But it's not the end of the world. If they don't get a party of 5 request, they will open it up to 4 anyway.

The other choices would be the 1b1b. I know this sucks for 4 adults (2 couples) that originally booked a 2b2b. But I think it would work with 2 children. The next biggest room I believe is the Whirlpool Aurea Suites at around 300 sq ft.

I understand MSC not allowing 4 to book a GS that holds 5 (but allowing 5 to book the stateroom) but I don't agree with it.

Think of how many staterooms that sleep 4 but will only have 2 guests sleeping there. Since booking 2 in a stateroom that holds 4 is no problem, booking 4 in a stateroom that holds 5 shouldn't be a problem, imho.

Yes, there are limited staterooms that sleep 5 or more but the 3-5 passenger pays much less than 1&2. Personally, I have no problem with "ghosting" a 5th guest in order to get a 2br2ba Grand Suite (if the OP is willing to pay extra). How much extra is the issue and the OP may have to roll the dice to pay the least amount possible.

If MSC had been correct and forthcoming with the GS information, there would have been fewer problems but that ship (pun) has sailed.

I've had to book many "ghost" passengers to get around their no singles rule. There is no "no show penalty" and in fact, you will get the government tax portion refunded to you if you ask once you return home. By all means, book the child. Such a shame the child had to come down with an illness just before sailing. ;)

The caveat here is that this has been for Caribbean sailngs from Miami and have been US or Canadian citizens booked by a US agency. Unless there is some wacky rule for non-US agencies, you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

Bret

I've had to book many "ghost" passengers to get around their no singles rule. There is no "no show penalty" and in fact, you will get the government tax portion refunded to you if you ask once you return home. By all means, book the child. Such a shame the child had to come down with an illness just before sailing. ;)

The caveat here is that this has been for Caribbean sailngs from Miami and have been US or Canadian citizens booked by a US agency. Unless there is some wacky rule for non-US agencies, you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

Bret

I was starting to panic reading this thread, until I read this last reply. I too have had to have a ghost companion in my cabin as when I said it was only 1 passenger it came up as fully booked. So I'm already paying double and don't want to have to pay more when I check in.

I booked through a TA in the US and we have a grand suite on Seaside with 3 people - one of the middle ones with 2/2. No ghosts! We booked back in Feb. so before all the issues and maybe that is why we didn't have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums