In Rome New Years day- what is open and what would you do?

basketballdad

Our ship pulls in for 1 day, 8am -6pm, on January 1st, to Civitavecchia . We want to take the train in to Rome.. I am hoping it runs January 1st. Looks like the Vatican and Sistine chapel is closed. Have wife and 17 and 18 yr old sons.

What is open. First time in Rome.

They want to see the main tourist things.. Colosseum, treve (sp?) fountain, etc.

What would you do in Rome on New Years Day?

TIA

I would join a guided tour - which I rarely do BTW - simply because New Years Day is of course a major public holiday and all museums etc will be closed. You will still be able to walk around the Forum, see the fountains etc. Colloseum will be closed but you can see the outside. With a tour the guide will know where you can and cannot go and this will save you time and money.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks. I am not finding easy to find vatican info for new years day. Where would you find guides... if we took the train in, would there be folks with signs as I see at so many ports selling tours?

The Vatican museum (and Sistine chapel) are closed on New Year's Day according to the official website's calendar: http://www.museivaticani.va/content/dam/museivaticani/pdf/utilities/calendario_musei_2018.pdf

You don't really need a guide to visit the Basilica (if it is open, which I think it is....). Take a guidebook or perhaps download the Rick Steves audioguide.

I think it's highly unlikely you will find touts for tours at the train stations in Rome on New Years Day.

I looked a bit more and found that there is a large parade (including marching bands from all over) in Rome on New Year's Day that ends up at Saint Peter's square, where everyone follows to hear the Papal blessing.

http://www.marching.com/events/rome/

If that interests you, it should be fun. But if you want to visit the Basilica, it could be a madhouse.

Quite honestly, you're probably going to find little is open. I'd get busy planning a nice walk to see the Colosseum and Forum (you can see a lot from the exterior viewing spots) and some of the great piazzas and fountains of Rome.