Help - mixed reviews MSC Sinfonia from Venice - maybe NCL better?

Lou2204

We looked at that date as well but I believe school starts that week, so we would need the 18/9 of August dates. I will double check tomorrow. Could it be that rates from the US are better than from Europe?

We did check and are seriously reconsidering changing to this sailing, dates may work out after all ( miscalculated a week).

You were right the prices are so much lower than the week before, and there still is a lot of choice in cabins and suites.

Would you prefer an NCL suite to the sinfonia balcony..?

I have not sailed msc yet but we love, love ncl. We have a teen and it is his favorite line. We are booked on msc next but not sure we will keep the booking because of reviews-- even though it is a great deal.

Thanks, that's good to know as I did read that there isn't much going on on the MSC one, and I do have two teens!

On an aside, a question: how can you have booked but not sure you will keep it? Are you allowed to cancel,once booked ? How does that work? I thought that once booked, you need to stick to it!! Thanks!

We looked at that date as well but I believe school starts that week, so we would need the 18/9 of August dates. I will double check tomorrow. Could it be that rates from the US are better than from Europe?

I can only answer that generally based on what NCL UK people mention at times. I do understand though that UK site has certain travel protection as well as for your booking the fees and surcharges as well as packages may be different.

The dresscode remark is spot on.

In June on Ncl Epic, I saw a family on specialty restaurant Moderno with daisy dukes and tank tops.

Also saw a couple wearing swimsuits and shorts being angry at the Le Bistro hostess because she didnt let them in.

It didn't spoil my fun but it does give a cheap atmosphere to the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When I mentioned Daisy Dukes to my kids they had a blank stare and we had to google it.

Hahaha that Daisy Dukes comment made me laugh :') Dexx!

Would be the same here.

Ok plans have changed we decided to go with NCL on the 8/26 itinerary. Looking at it in more detail we prefer the ports, the price is excellent. For less than what we would have spent on MSC, we are now in a suite, with butler and all the other perks as you described. The family suite you recommended is fab, but we really really want a balcony. So will probably go for the penthouse with balcony. That or the larger PH but they are front facing and strangely enough I didn't enjoy that as much as I thought I would on Divina. Seems you can see more when you are starboard?

Anyway thanks so much for pointing us in this direction, if ever we meet up on a future cruise, I owe you a thank you beer!! :cool:

We did check and are seriously reconsidering changing to this sailing, dates may work out after all ( miscalculated a week).

You were right the prices are so much lower than the week before, and there still is a lot of choice in cabins and suites.

Would you prefer an NCL suite to the sinfonia balcony..?

The last week of August and first week of June on NCL tend to be cheaper exactly for the school reason.

I can't speak to MSC balcony but I would say the NCL suites are nice. The rooms will be nicer on average than what we had on Divinia and much larger. The service will not be like what we had on Divina but like I said you would have a nice restaurant for breakfast and lunch, they will deliver breakfast to your room from these restaurants if you want to do that on a port day. The OS is nice but the two DOS left are the "inner" style which would have a separate inside room with bathroom for the kids and you'd have your own large bedroom plus bath and a smaller living room. There is not balcony on the DOS but the OS have two balconies including a LARGE front balcony and double wide side balcony. OS and DOS on NCL get you unlimited bottled water (not part of NCL's drink package) and canned soda plus 3 bottles of booze.

The SJ suites are reasonable but the price diff to the DOS I'd probably do that room.

Hahaha that Daisy Dukes comment made me laugh :') Dexx!

Would be the same here.

Ok plans have changed we decided to go with NCL on the 8/26 itinerary. Looking at it in more detail we prefer the ports, the price is excellent. For less than what we would have spent on MSC, we are now in a suite, with butler and all the other perks as you described. The family suite you recommended is fab, but we really really want a balcony. So will probably go for the penthouse with balcony. That or the larger PH but they are front facing and strangely enough I didn't enjoy that as much as I thought I would on Divina. Seems you can see more when you are starboard?

Anyway thanks so much for pointing us in this direction, if ever we meet up on a future cruise, I owe you a thank you beer!! :cool:

That's what we told the folks we met in the lounge in Miami that we'd buy them a beer in the YC - the couple from Austrailia.

I'd be a bit careful on the PH mostly due to them being a bit smaller and the bed for the kids. There is also a difference between the SE/SF and you have to watch as I believe the ones on the front center PH are larger. The thing with 12 is they are newer room overall plus the SJ would have a larger bathroom with two sinks and the room has a bigger layout and won't ever feel cramped. I didn't look at what the PH are running though but the DOS and SJ run relatively cheaper due to no balcony.

I understand about the balcony but we did the outer DOS on the Star to Alaska and since it is colder we never missed a balcony. Plus on the Star you can easily go from 12 to 14 for a huge front lounge area and there is a hot tub up there too. Generally not too busy.

ETA: The area on 12 is also very quiet and it is same deck as pool and buffet. Not trying to decide for you, just take some time looking at rooms on youtube. I'll help where I can.

Will check those out when back behind my pc. Now on phone.

The water comment: it's all inclusive, isn't it? So it would come with water anyway, no?

NCL drink packages are weird - they don't include bottled water. If you book a OS, DOS, or GV you get unlimited bottled water in room - normally Aquafina and San Pelligrino.

I've got about 10 more minutes then I have a busy morning but I'll check in later today which will give you some time to do more checking.

Great advice Dexx many thanks! We have to go to a big party today so won't be able to do my research until tomorrow, Sunday. Will check it all out then.

Thanks again, really great to get insider tips!!

Have a good Saturday!!

Good morning!!

Well I have been studying all this, and we have booked the PH suite with balcony - it is on the newer deck 12, as you mentioned. 12012.

The owner suites are a bit above budget for this occasion, so that is not an option, alas.

From what we can see, all the suites on deck 12 are Family Suites (with only the windows), only 4 of them have a balcony. So we got one of those, as you mentioned, they seem bigger than the ones and the interior is really nice and modern looking.

We're still contemplating maybe the penthouse with the larger balconies on deck 10, but I don't like the interior as much as the ones on deck 12, e.g. the bathroom does not have a separate shower or 2 sinks, like the ones on deck 12 have. Still, the deck 10 ones are more expensive, weird huh?

Btw this website does itself a huge disservice by not asking for the ages of the passengers prior to booking/looking. It means that the price shown while you are checking out various alternatives is not accurate. This was a HUGE plus for us, when we started booking the price dropped by about 1100 euros, because 2 of the passengers are kids. We couldn't believe it!! Hurray!!!!

Btw this is all inclusive right? That's what it says all the time, but on our confirmation they then name a lot of 'add ons' - is that the same? I see we get Meal Speciality Dining Package, adult beverage, bottled water, internet AND $100 onboard credit. Looks like an excellent deal to me.

Well, we're happy campers, now all we have to do is ... wait another year before departure :D:D:D

Good morning!!

Well I have been studying all this, and we have booked the PH suite with balcony - it is on the newer deck 12, as you mentioned. 12012.

The owner suites are a bit above budget for this occasion, so that is not an option, alas.

From what we can see, all the suites on deck 12 are Family Suites (with only the windows), only 4 of them have a balcony. So we got one of those, as you mentioned, they seem bigger than the ones and the interior is really nice and modern looking.

We're still contemplating maybe the penthouse with the larger balconies on deck 10, but I don't like the interior as much as the ones on deck 12, e.g. the bathroom does not have a separate shower or 2 sinks, like the ones on deck 12 have. Still, the deck 10 ones are more expensive, weird huh?

Btw this website does itself a huge disservice by not asking for the ages of the passengers prior to booking/looking. It means that the price shown while you are checking out various alternatives is not accurate. This was a HUGE plus for us, when we started booking the price dropped by about 1100 euros, because 2 of the passengers are kids. We couldn't believe it!! Hurray!!!!

Btw this is all inclusive right? That's what it says all the time, but on our confirmation they then name a lot of 'add ons' - is that the same? I see we get Meal Speciality Dining Package, adult beverage, bottled water, internet AND $100 onboard credit. Looks like an excellent deal to me.

Well, we're happy campers, now all we have to do is ... wait another year before departure :D:D:D

IMO you made the right decision to go with 12. On 12 there are a range of rooms. The front has 4 DOS with two different configurations. There are also a bunch - 18 - of inside rooms in the middle.

Then you have the 4 SG suites with the balconies and a bunch of the SJ suites.

You are far enough forward that you won't (shouldn't) hear any noise from the jogging track above.

That part of the ship is normally very quiet and like I said an easy stroll through some automatic sliding doors to the pool and then farther back is the buffet.

With 4 people I'd stay away from any of the PH. The SG will feel more spacious and the bathroom is much better.

I don't know what you get with your booking over in Europe vs. the US. Here we get 3 specialty dining dinners, unlimited (with restrictions) beverage package, usually internet minutes, shore ex credit, and extra guests free on select sailings. You'll also need to check if your kids get any of the dining or beverages as here in the US only pax 1 and 2 get those.

Kids get unlimited Soda beverage package , by the looks of it! Btw the extras didn't show up in the My NCL area, I have written to them about this.

Bit of confusing communication about the confirmation as well _ I paid the deposit by cc, would I still need to confirm the option?

Kids get unlimited Soda beverage package , by the looks of it! Btw the extras didn't show up in the My NCL area, I have written to them about this.

Bit of confusing communication about the confirmation as well _ I paid the deposit by cc, would I still need to confirm the option?

Yes, I would confirm anything not showing up online. We normally use a TA so not sure how it looks on myncl if you book direct. But for us using a TA nothing related to what we paid or still owe shows up.