34-day inca discovery / peru best tours

heatherflint

Hello!

I'm planning to take this cruise for next year, i'm excited to know that I'll be visiting south americans ports and tours. Also, I would like to visit Machu Picchu instead of staying in Lima. A friend of mine recommend me to plan this trip to Cuzco and Machu Picchu ruins with Tour Operator Peru Best Tours. I was wondering if you could provide some feedback on them?

Thank you very much.:D

Several years ago we did a HAL cruise from Buenos Aires to Valpariaso and then on to Fort Lauderdale via the Panama Canal. A 33 day repositioning cruise. There was an overnight stop in Callao/Lima and there was a possibility of doing a two or three night excursion to see Manchu Pichu. It was very pricey. We chose to fly to Lima on our way to Buenos Aires, and do a 5 day tour which included Cuzco, the Sacred Valley and Manchu Pichu. We had a great time for about the cost of the the excursions from the boat. We had the chance to talk to fellow cruisers who did the excursion from the ship. I think our experience was better, plus we had the chance to spend two days in Lima. We used a tour company Adios Adventures. I hope they have been able to maintain their high level of service.

I would have serious reservations before traveling from sea level to 11,000 feet and expecting to feel "good".for a two day excursion.

I am with WisRiver, do Manchu Pichu before or after and plan at least 5 days.Then when the ship docks in Lima, you see Lima.

That is what I am looking at for a March 2019 , 34 day cruise. Cusco is on the way to Buenas Aires. .

Edited by aa7yy

This is my experience. We're doing 28 day Inca Discovery from our home town in San Diego in 5 months. We have done

Manchu Pichu in 2001 and also in 2009.

Both times with National Geograhic Exhibitions. For both times we would stay in Mammoth California at our winter/summer home and would hike Whitney which is almost 15,000 feet. I can tell you trying to climb in one day to the top which we did once we got to the top the altitude sickness hit like a ton of bricks.'

We have learned to hike and stay at base camp at 10,000 feet to get acclimated and then venture through all the switch backs to top!👍

My point is on both of our trips we stayed and got acclimated prior to our hike with no cacao leaves to chew or drugs.

Loved our trips what an experience it was.

This time we feel HAL is charging a lot and your not there as long as you really should

be to enjoy such an experience. The train ride up is breath taking in itself.

So enjoy the experience.

Denise:)

Cusco elevation: 11,100 feet

Machu Pichu elevation: 8,000 feet

I live at 8700 feet and serve as an EMT here. We sometimes get people from sea level visiting and have had to take them lower due to altitude sickness. Make arrangements that meet your personal needs, do the research and find out what's available. There are supplements that can help and I know Cusco has oxygen available in the hotels, but might have a fee. Time is the best for acclimatizing, and taking it very slowly while acclimatizing. Some medications will need to be adjusted, especially some of the hypertension/ high blood pressure meds, but others also. If you are on any medications get your doctor's advice before you make your reservations! Evaluate your physical condition and learn from others' experiences.

Many, many people do this tour with no issues but please learn ahead of time what type of tour will be best for you, then price that. m--