back from first cruise

Lad95der

I just got off Anthem of the Seas, my first cruise and here are some of my thoughts.

One, like people say, pack and then remove half. I didn't wear even half of what I took. Even shoes, I wore the same pair all week.

Second, forget all those gadgets. I didn't use over the door hanger, flashlight (just used nightlight from bathroom or left bathroom door partially open, didn't use clothes pins, detergent, post its (just called their rooms and left message), magnets, air freshner, alarm clock (had wake up call), duct tape. I did use highlighter. My shampoo and conditioner. Didn't need extension cord. Lanyard was useless, I still needed to take my small crossbody to carry glasses and camera and wind kept blowing it in my face.

As far as the ship, it was okay. IFly was down for week and NorthStar was working, then down, then working, then down because of weather. I was disappointed that after 10pm you couldn't get anything to eat except pizza and cookies unless you went to pay restaurant and even a lot of them closed at 9pm. Room service was $7.95. Learned to take something from lunch back to cabin to nibble on later.

I had an interior studio cabin and it was great. Loads of storage and my shower was larger then my friends balcony cabin shower. Full size bed and virtual window was fantastic.

All in all it was a nice cruise, I did not like late seating though. You got out around 10pm and if you tried to get into some of the shows (the ones no reservations needed) you couldn't find seat.

I found I gained more weight with late seating. What did you you enjoy? Will you cruise again.?

I think I would cruise again, I really did enjoy it. I loved We Will Rock You, Spectra and just basically walking around ship, the ports, food, and relaxing. I liked how you unpack just once and visit different ports.

Second, forget all those gadgets. I didn't use over the door hanger, flashlight (just used nightlight from bathroom or left bathroom door partially open, didn't use clothes pins, detergent, post its (just called their rooms and left message), magnets, air freshner, alarm clock (had wake up call), duct tape. I did use highlighter. My shampoo and conditioner. Didn't need extension cord. Lanyard was useless, I still needed to take my small crossbody to carry glasses and camera and wind kept blowing it in my face.

Thanks for coming back to report. Glad that overall you enjoyed your first cruise.

For the benefit of other new cruisers, wanted to comment on the gadgets. Personally never take an over the door hanger (don't use/need), they do work well for families or if a few people are sharing the cabin/bathroom.

Not all ships have bathroom nightlights, and sometimes hard to leave door open. Nightlights are very useful for many people.

If you have a balcony clothes pins are good for pinning a wet swimsuit to a chair. Not recommending making balcony look like a laundry, but good place for wet swimsuit.

Detergent good to hand wash in sink. Post it's good to leave message for steward, like more ice/towels. Leave on mirror. Magnets good to use on walls for notes/invitations/tickets you don't want to misplace.

I don't take air freshener, but again if sharing bathroom with three or more people, might be handy!

Use alarm clock (battery) as I can't see phone in the middle of the night. Agree about highlighter, shampoo, etc. always use.

Don't like to carry a purse around ship, even a cross body, and don't always have a deep pocket for Seapass card. If I am going to the pool I tie lanyard to my pol bag with suntan stuff, book, etc.

So, some of the recommended gadgets are useful!

Hope you will cruise again, and try my time dining as it may suit you more.

Great observations, especially about the packing! I have a cross the shoulder bag for most times as I take a camera and glasses too. I use a lanyard for other times. I find a small torch to be helpful but if there is a night light then no need. Highlighter is useful for sure and I'm thinking some post it notes might help me in future.

I think everyone finds what works for them, it's just fun cruising and I can't get over how addictive it is!

I think you have to cruise yourself and see what works for you. This cruise I didn't use a lot of items I took but then again on my next cruise I may leave a lot of items home and I may have wished I took them. But the bottom line is I loved the cruise and hopefully it won't be my last.

I think you have to cruise yourself and see what works for you. This cruise I didn't use a lot of items I took but then again on my next cruise I may leave a lot of items home and I may have wished I took them. But the bottom line is I loved the cruise and hopefully it won't be my last.

Glad you enjoyed. Another thing to consider next time, try to research your cabin/ship and why people recommend taking "stuff." Never have figured out why people take duct tape!

Glad you enjoyed. Another thing to consider next time, try to research your cabin/ship and why people recommend taking "stuff." Never have figured out why people take duct tape!

Never needed duct tape on ship but really helped when airline ripped open corner of suitcase. Just have a few feet wrapped around a piece of cardboard, not a whole roll.

Edited by LeeW
more

I used duct tape on multiple occasions...most memorable was on an airplane when an overhead would not close. I offered it to the crew so that we were allowed to take-off!!!

I have a my take wrapped around a small golf pencil...just in case I need a pencil!