Lower prices second week of January - why?

Timmys_mom

We booked for January 6, 2007 because there was a significant price difference for that week. It seems that all cruise lines drop their prices for this week. Is there a particular reason? Is that when all the crazy people and dysfunctional families travel? Does the Bermuda Triangle open on that day and suck unsuspecting and frugal cruisers into its mystical black hole? Is there a dockworker's strike planned that only I don't know about?

I always do this to myself. I was so proud of the pricing, now I am second guessing my deal-making skills! Any insights out there?

I would imagine most kids are going back to school that week after 2 weeks off, and many adults are also just coming off their winter holiday. Sounds like the perfect time to cruise - cheap and not many kids on board! We just went on a cruise the week after Thanksgiving and found that MANY people on board were bragging about their great last minute deals. I had hoped for a cruise without too many kids, but learned on the last day that there were 700 kids on board (I think they said there were 1200 the week before). Camp Carnival never seemed crowded, though, and other than a whole LOT of babies and toddlers, we didn't notice a whole lot of kids wandering around the ship.

Archived