Favorite private tour?

Moparop

We are scheduled to go to St Thomas on a cruise in January. I realize with the current situation there it's highly unlikely that the cruise port will be open. But, if for some reason they do have it up and running, our family would rather do a tour and eat our meals from locals rather than booking with the cruise line so all of our money goes directly into their economy. If you've done a private tour that you've loved, could you please tell me about it below. We are a family of 5 but are up for pretty much anything!

Like I said, I get that we might not go this trip but maybe someone else going after me might like this list - or we could use it on a future cruise!

I have used Godfrey Tours the several times that I have visited St. Thomas. He does a great job. The tour is very reasonably priced and well worth the money.

I emailed him a few days ago sending my well wishes and prayers to him after getting hit by both hurricanes. He replied that they took a hard blow and was not sure how soon things will be operational again.

The island needs the tourists spending money to get their economy going again. they will get the island back up and running quickly.

You will not be disappointed using Godfrey Tours.

I have used Godfrey Tours the several times that I have visited St. Thomas. He does a great job. The tour is very reasonably priced and well worth the money.

I emailed him a few days ago sending my well wishes and prayers to him after getting hit by both hurricanes. He replied that they took a hard blow and was not sure how soon things will be operational again.

The island needs the tourists spending money to get their economy going again. they will get the island back up and running quickly.

You will not be disappointed using Godfrey Tours.

We used Godfrey in late 2014. He was a very good tour operator and knew his island very well and like you said was reasonably priced. My kids really liked it too. So glad to hear he is fine after Irma. These people on these islands need much help.

Are you asking about private tours (for your group only)? Or independent tours like Godfrey that provides group tours and private charters for larger groups?

I'm open to either. Obviously I'm thinking of my family first but we've made friends with multiple families who will be traveling with us and would be willing to organize a group tour or activity.

What I meant was there's a difference between the cookie cutter tours that you take with strangers and you don't have much say in where you go, and a private tour for just your group where you choose an itinerary with help from the driver. You can also "charter" a tour like Godfrey if you have a larger group. So a few options.

I'd suggest going with your own driver for the best experience, Dean's Taxi comes highly recommended if he is still in business after these hurricanes.

• 2 weeks later...

Caribbean Historical Tours (website is same name) was very interesting when I took his tour. He shows you a lot of local plants and explains their medicinal uses. He also gave a prize when someone answered one of his questions correctly. I thought that was a nice touch.