CB 11/26 Review - My First Cruise

roger75

Well, I wanted to come back to the boards and share my experience with cruising with everyone. First of all, thanks to all those who responded with information in some of my previous postings. I won't go into a long winded review, so here are my main thoughts:

There were both good and not so good things that I found from cruising. The ship was very nice and clean. I had purchased an inside guarantee and was upgraded to an ocean view on the Plaza deck of the ship. The room was very clean and not quite as small as I had thought it would be. To all of the people who had posted that their cabins were dirty or not up to par, I assume that you are used to staying at the Ritz-Carlton because there was nothing wrong with the cabins. All of the public areas on the ship were very well kept up and the staff was always nice and accomodating of any requests.

To go ahead and get the negative out of the way, here were my "dislikes": We had 3 days at sea during a 7 day cruise. I think that if I do cruise again, I want to have at least 4 or 5 ports of call on a 7 day cruise because the two sea days back to back seemed to be a bit much. Yes, I know that there is a lot to do on the ship, but I would prefer to have one sea day at the most between ports. I guess that was the first thing that I learned from my initial cruise vacation. Second, the larger pools and all of the jacuzzis were always crowded during the day. Our ship was at capacity with 3100 people so I understand this. In the evening, it was easier to find a jacuzzi. Finally, I want to talk about the food. The food was not horrible, I just felt it was sort of bland. Most people had told me that I would love the fact that I could eat all of the time as part of my cruise price. Well, yes and no. We had personal choice dining and ate in the Cafe Caribe, Horizon Court, and two of the dining rooms. Both the buffets and the dining rooms seemed to have the same food just different ways of presenting it. Again, the food wasn't bad but I was ready for something different by the time we got back to Florida. I will say that the Ranch dressing on the salad bar was about the worst I've ever had.

We liked MUTS because it was nice to watch newly released movies in that type of setting and I really liked all 3 ports of call. St. Maarten was my absolute favorite and I will definitely be spending a 5-7 day resort vacation there sometime in the next few years.

I liked the experience, but not quite in love with it yet. I know from reading a lot of posts on here that some people absolutely thrive on cruising. I will cruise again, but don't know if my next vacation will be another cruise. When I booked this trip on the Caribbean Princess, I chose this ship over the Voyager of the Seas. My next cruise will be with RCI on one of their Voyager class ships. I have heard a lot of good things about that cruise line and those particular vessels. I also want to try them to see if the crowd ends up being a bit younger. I don't have anything against an older crowd, but we definitely felt in the minority on this cruise. Some people that I met on this cruise also told me that RCI can have a lot of older people on board as well, that it depends more on the time of year that you go.

Bottom line: I enjoyed my trip and it was well worth the money that I spent. However, I think I need to do this one more time with a totally different cruise line, itinerary, etc. to make up my mind if I really want to continue cruising. Thanks in advance for any feedback on my review!!!!

Roger - I think its a great idea to try several cruise lines that way you get a better over all view. I agree with you on the sea days, I would never book a cruise that had back to back sea days, in fact I would like one that had none! I have sailed both RCI and Princess and I think the age depends on the time of year and ship that you are sailing on. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Funny....I've been on a few cruises now, and have visted most of the islands. After a while they all look alike. I'm leaving on Saturday on the CB, and picked this cruise because of the days at sea. I actualy enjoy the days at sea more so than running around an island for x number of hours. Thats what's so wonderful about vacations...pay the money, and pick what pleases you. Good luck on RCL, it is a great cruise line, but then again I've never had a bad cruise and have really had positive experiences every time.

Excellent even handed review Roger! Thanks!

We have friends that we cruise with that totally agree with you on the sea days. Unfortunately my wife and I are just the opposite and love sea days. We want Eastern with the 3 sea days and they want Southern with the 1. For 2006 we decided to meet in the middle and sail Western with 2 sea days. :)

Scott

One of the reasons we picked the CB Eastern for Xmas, among many, is the number of sea days. We love to lay back, relax, and be pampered and only do what we want to do when we want to do it. That was our goal for this upcoming cruise and factored heavily into our selection process.

But, to each his own and I will say if I were doing a European cruise, I'd definitely want to visit a port a day.

I have been on six different cruise lines. Started cruising in the 1980s (ships were a lot smaller then). I am glad that I have done the port intensive cruises and I am sooo very grateful for the days of utter relaxation that come with several days at sea.

The time of year will almost always determine the crowd on a ship. If you go during the school year, especially just after a holiday (mid-January) you will find an older crowd. You will also find an older crowd on the itineraries that are 10 days or longer or those that start on some day other that Saturday or Sunday. The folks who can get away for those types of things will naturally be a bit older. RCI is super and you will enjoy yourself, particularly if you sail from San Juan.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Jim

Roger:

I concur with what others have said...give it a chance (perhaps try other lines, as well) and you will grow to love it. We've been on over 30 cruises, and while there are things we don't particularly care for, on balance we love the experience. After you've been to the Caribbean a few times, the ports do all become very familiar and you cherish your days at sea (that's why we picked the CB in October).

On today's mass market ships, due to competition AND LOWER PRICES, the food quality is not what it used to be. If you are careful in your food selections, you should always find things that are either good or very good (and on occasion, excellent). Please realize, though, that today you can get a mini-suite for the price of an inside cabin back in the mid-80s.

Roger75,

Thank you for posting about your first cruise impressions.

DH and I are returning to the Caribbean Princess next month after sailing on her this past January. We're among those who enjoy sea days and prefer them to port-hopping: I often say that I don't care where the ship is going as long as I'm onboard!" Three days at sea is part of the reason that we're doing the encore voyage on the CB. We've also covered most of the Caribbean on past cruises and don't need to revisit most of the islands. When we do get off the ship, it's usually to go to the beach and/or shop.

You don't mention your age - only that you felt the CB crowd was "older." I will be 56 the day before we sail, DH is 57, and we felt like we were the median age on our 1/05 cruise. Sailing in late January, there are very few children, teens, or college students on board. Holiday and summer sailings attract more families and probably have a much younger passenger complement, in general.

Thanks, again, for your review and do give cruising another try to determine if it's really your cup of tea.

Chris

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Cruzinchris, my partner is 33 and I am 30. I do agree that the median age was probably in the 50s. I had several interesting conversations with people who were a good bit older than I was, so it's not that I had anything against the older crowd. It's just that most people tend to have more in common with others who are closer in age. I felt that some of the activities offered on the vessel, i.e. vegetable carving, art auctions, etc. were geared towards a more mature crowd. However, I did talk to a couple (in their 50s) who said they prefer Carnival over all the others!!! I thought most older people disliked Carnival because of all the REALLY young people and the crazy partying. That's why I don't want to go on Carnival myself.

My mother is 73. She has been on 8 Carnival cruises. It is her cruise line of choice. I have not been able to get her on a Princess ship yet. I agree with you on the vegetable carving. While I do see some that look pretty, I'd have a hard time sitting through a demonstration.

Consider yourself lucky to have escaped being bitten by the cruise bug. It is a very expensive addiction.:)

Roger, I was on the CB that week also. While any cruise is good... I was not impressed by the Princess product. This was my first Princess cruise, It will likely be my last. Most of the things that you pointed out, with the exception of the number of sea days was right on point. For the money, I would take a different cruise. Like you, my brother was on the cruise, his first and he stated that based on that experience, he will not be crusing again. He and his wife were even upgraded to a balcony aft cabin from a outside cabin. He did enjoy that part of the cruise and got a good picture of a shark while we were ancored off of Princess Cay. I like trying new ships even though Celebrity is my favorite. No panning of Princess, I know by this message board that there are many people who love it, but I was not impressed by the food, the cabin (aft mini suite), or the service in the dinning room or cabin. Loved the spa and Sterlings.

CruisenChic,

I assume you must like the extra sea days. Did you notice how rough the waters were the first couple of days at sea? I kept overhearing people who said that it was very unusual for the Caribbean, but that ship rock and rolled for two days!!! I thought it was kind of fun until you try and sleep. We were on the plaza deck and felt the rolling plus we heard the waves slapping against the vessel. For my first cruise, I wasn't overly impressed. Like I said, I want to try RCI because I hear such good things about that line.

Roger, I was on the CB that week also. While any cruise is good... I was not impressed by the Princess product. This was my first Princess cruise, It will likely be my last. Most of the things that you pointed out, with the exception of the number of sea days was right on point. For the money, I would take a different cruise. Like you, my brother was on the cruise, his first and he stated that based on that experience, he will not be crusing again. He and his wife were even upgraded to a balcony aft cabin from a outside cabin. He did enjoy that part of the cruise and got a good picture of a shark while we were ancored off of Princess Cay. I like trying new ships even though Celebrity is my favorite. No panning of Princess, I know by this message board that there are many people who love it, but I was not impressed by the food, the cabin (aft mini suite), or the service in the dinning room or cabin. Loved the spa and Sterlings.

Just wondering how the mini suite fell short and did not please? Thanks.

Thanks for your review, Roger. I do think that you should try RCI. I'm sure that you would enjoy the rock climbing, the ice skating (on the newer ships, of course), and the food better than on Princess, although we found food better on Princess........of course, we've only been on two RCI cruises. Also, as pointed out, the Southern Carib itinerary from San Juan is much more port intensive. We had TONS of kids and younger cruisers on our Adventure of the Seas Cruise, which was at the beginning of December a few years ago.

We are 60-ish, and prefer Princess and Sea Days................................heck, we even like the food at Horizon Court. :)

Happy vacation days, whatever you choose to do.....................isn't it great that there is something for everyone?

CruisenChic,

I assume you must like the extra sea days. Did you notice how rough the waters were the first couple of days at sea? I kept overhearing people who said that it was very unusual for the Caribbean, but that ship rock and rolled for two days!!! I thought it was kind of fun until you try and sleep. We were on the plaza deck and felt the rolling plus we heard the waves slapping against the vessel. For my first cruise, I wasn't overly impressed. Like I said, I want to try RCI because I hear such good things about that line.

Roger, the days at sea don't bother me, I can find plenty to do on the ship. Mostly lose my $$ playing '3 Card Poker'. We were on the Emerald deck aft, and the motion was quite noticeable the first couple of days. My brother and sister-in-law both needed the armbands that they gave out in the medical center. It was both thier first cruise and they said that they would not do it again eventhough they were upgraded from an outside to a balcony cabin.

Just wondering how the mini suite fell short and did not please? Thanks.

Devinc, I just felt that the Mini suite was not that well appointed. The space was good, and the balcony was nice. We were able to get the door between the balconies opened and used this as a way to get back and forth between the suites. But for the $$ it was not as good as someother accomidations that I have had on some other ships. One example was last year on the Costa Atlantic, I think that it is the same as the Carnival Destiny type (?), the suite was much larger and richly appointed. The dressing area and makeup vanity on the CB were strange. The vanity (once i realized that was what it was) was too close to the bed and the lighting was not good. The dressing area was right outside the bathroom door and you had to make sure that there was not someone standing there before you opened the door and hit them. I also did not understand the 2 TV thing. They are so close together I don't see how you could watch different programs at the same time. If the purpose is to allow one person to watch tv and the other to sleep, the room was too small to do that without disturbing the other passenger. I was not impressed by the service. The steward was nice, but he stated that he had 18 cabins and no assistant (and it showed). He did not do simple request. For instance, add a top sheet to the bed, I don't understand why there is no top sheet just the duvet. Or the robes that I requested online and once we boarded (never got either). The bathroom was ok since it had a full bathtub, much more comfortable than the shower in the other cabins.

Archived