Discovering Discovery

Just returned from our first cruise on Discovery and loved it:hearteyes:, probably not any more than the other Thomson ships but the public areas are lot brighter and 47 along with Gallery 47 are way out in front, all this is IMO! We preferred the Gallery to eat and discovered that if you ask you can have either menu.

We had a JS cabin (8076) which was a little disappointing with threadbare furnishings it was large enough, but no larger than our cabin on Dream of Celebration, and had a good size balcony. Had a look at the inside cabin opposite ours and it looked a good size also had a look round the cabin we have booked for the Caribbean (8086) and found it much larger than ours witha double size balcony.

It was nice to be greeted by so many of the staff we had meeton our past cruises with Thomson but friction did appear between them,Philippineo’s, and the Easter Europeans who IMO are not all so friendly but that's probably a culture thing.

We were unfortunate on the first week with bad weather,spray on our deck 8 balcony:eek: And a few of the passengers over indulging in the free booze, three or four drinks lined up at a time and drunks on the putting green at 1100Hrs.

Juries out on the live room format for us, like the idea of continual entertainment but thought it would be better in the Venue with theextra room as it was sometimes difficult to find seats after the show.

We used both speciality restaurants and was well impressed with service and quality, only had to inform the waitress once not to chill red wine;p.

Bottom line, the well established Thomson experience hasbeen carried over with a few tweaks and we are looking forward to being on her again for the Caribbean which they informed us may have some changes.

Edited by Pensioncruiser
Spelling

Just returned from our first cruise on Discovery and loved it:hearteyes:, probably not any more than the other Thomson ships but the public areas are lot brighter and 47 along with Gallery 47 are way out in front, all this is IMO! We preferred the Gallery to eat and discovered that if you ask you can have either menu.

We had a JS cabin (8076) which was a little disappointing with threadbare furnishings it was large enough, but no larger than our cabin on Dream of Celebration, and had a good size balcony. Had a look at the inside cabin opposite ours and it looked a good size also had a look round the cabin we have booked for the Caribbean (8086) and found it much larger than ours witha double size balcony.

It was nice to be greeted by so many of the staff we had meeton our past cruises with Thomson but friction did appear between them,Philippineo’s, and the Easter Europeans who IMO are not all so friendly but that's probably a culture thing.

We were unfortunate on the first week with bad weather,spray on our deck 8 balcony:eek: And a few of the passengers over indulging in the free booze, three or four drinks lined up at a time and drunks on the putting green at 1100Hrs.

Juries out on the live room format for us, like the idea of continual entertainment but thought it would be better in the Venue with theextra room as it was sometimes difficult to find seats after the show.

We used both speciality restaurants and was well impressed with service and quality, only had to inform the waitress once not to chill red wine;p.

Bottom line, the well established Thomson experience hasbeen carried over with a few tweaks and we are looking forward to being on her again for the Caribbean which they informed us may have some changes.

Hello Roger

i am glad you enjoyed Discovery yes she is a great inprovement on the other ships in the Thomson fleet and as you said a lot of the older crew have moved across giving her the old Thomson well being, hope to se you in the Caribbean and what are these changes that might be happening to Dicovery.

I also think the live lounge is rather odd and could be moved. Seating is tight in the venues during the evening and could do to be looked at. I also agree that the Philippians always (as a general rule) look happier in their work than the Eastern Europeans. I liked both the main restaurants as they are bright but some of the tables are packed in tight. The service was always good and we never had that long to weight for a table. We are looking forward to our next trip.

I understand the Venue on Discovery 2 is larger or just feels larger. The live lounge can't be moved anywhere else except where the Venue is. A feature of Thomson that I like is that the entertainment of a 'Butlins' nature tends to be concentrated in one place, the Venue on the Discoveries, Medusa lounge on Dream and Liberties on Celebration. Contrast this with P&O where they scatter the stuff all over the ship.

I understand the Venue on Discovery 2 is larger or just feels larger. The live lounge can't be moved anywhere else except where the Venue is. A feature of Thomson that I like is that the entertainment of a 'Butlins' nature tends to be concentrated in one place, the Venue on the Discoveries, Medusa lounge on Dream and Liberties on Celebration. Contrast this with P&O where they scatter the stuff all over the ship.

Hi Dave what do you mean by Butlins entertainment sorry we never visited them, but I thought that the entertainment in the Live lounge was pretty varied, vocal pianist, vocal guitar plus a trio and the show band not counting the sax player as he only played the notes:rolleyes: