Question on flight time home?

CarolNJ

I never book a flight for earlier than 11:30. You MIGHT be able to make your flight, but the odds aren't in your favor. It sometimes takes a lot later to disembark that expected. Sometimes you hear passengers names being called until 9-9:30! Those people usually haven't settled their ship's accounts yet, and they won't let anyone off until EVERYONE has paid.

I would suggest to book a later flight.

NO, NO, NO. Sorry to yell, but it is highly unlikely that you could make that flight. Docking means, just that docking. Disembarking probably won't begin until around 8am (and that's on a good day). After you leave the ship, you still have to go through immigration and customs which could go really fast or really slow depending on the day. Then catch a cab to the airport which will take at least 20 minutes depending on traffic. And then check in and go through security.

The recommended time for flights out of Miami is not until after noon. You might get by with one around 11am or later (although I missed an 11:40 flight after my last cruise out of Miami), but no earlier.

Actually, most of the cruiselines say not to book an outbound flight before 1pm.

There are SO many things that could delay your debarking the ship. Customs hangups, late arrival of the ship into port, the list goes on. I would say NO way you should book the flight you're thinking of.

I agree.

The time is too early.

Yes, the ship is scheduled to get to port @ 7 am ..... but they may not begin to let folks off until 9:00.

Sometimes there are "issues"... (immigration/customs) and they hold up the entire debarkation process.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the carnival Triumph saturday. They now have a early unload if you want. I was told not to put out my bags the night before and I would have to carry off all your bags. Then they called for early unload about 7:30 A.M. you walk off and go to custom and I was at the Miami Airport at 8:05A.M. We fly standby so we had to get there early. We talked to another couple who said they had done the same thing on RCCL. I would keep the flight you have and just go to the ticket counter and ask if you can be put on a earlier flight. My wifes airline will at no charge. In fact most later flights are overbooked and it helps them out. DO NOT TRY TO WALK OFF WITHOUT YOUR BAGS. They will not let you off early unless you have all your bags. Some people tried this and was not let off. Another tried with his carry on and was not let back in building to get his luggage until the end of the day. YOU AND ONLY YOU have to talk all your own bags!

If you're flying out of MIA or FLL in the winter it's best to not book anything before 1pm as both airports are zoos on winter weekends with very long lines for both check-in and security.

From personal experience, IMHO, Miami airport is like a NIGHTMARE/ZOO anytime of the year! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last time we had connecting flights through Miami, there was a sign posted informing us that it was a 40 minute walk to our departing gate! And then there's the hoards of people attempting to go through Customs!

I ALWAYS try to avoid Miami.

First of all you need time to clear security at the airport and even to get TO the airport, also I have been on more than one cruise where we docked at 6:30 and not one person left that boat till 11:30 when customs was finally satisfied about something they found wrong.

Never book a flight out before noon and even then depending on where it is you might have a problem.

Carol: Check your flights into and out of fort lauderdale (FLL) Sometimes you can save quite a bit of money. Last few cruises out of miami we were able to save well over 100pp by flying into FLL and getting a car service roundtrip for the cruise.

Are you flying in the day before??

Archived