HAL Report on cruise changes for 2017 Eastern Caribbean Sailings

OHCruiser

The only change on mine is St Martin for St Croix. Not sure about Grand Turk. Don't see how we can possibly go to San Juan, I know my cruise isn't until December, but cannot see it being OK for then.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/09/disconnected-by-disasterphotos-from-a-battered-puerto-rico/540975/

Edited by Tiggipaws

I am happy that I have been to all of these ports so many times that it really doesn't make any difference to me which port my cruise goes to. My real sadness comes that so many people are going to have a very hard time restoring their homes and lives after all of this. So sad.....

I doubt these changes are the final word. Thanks for the post. Our cruise on Oosterdam November 4 is scheduled to call on San Juan, and St Thomas. It is encouraging that HAL at least is thinking that these ports can be back in business in a few weeks. I cant imagine how the people there are dealing with the destruction to their homes and livelihood, as are many in Texas and Florida. I feel for them.

The only change on mine is St Martin for St Croix. Not sure about Grand Turk. Don't see how we can possibly go to San Juan, I know my cruise isn't until December, but cannot see it being OK for then.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/09/disconnected-by-disasterphotos-from-a-battered-puerto-rico/540975/

We are still supposed to dock in San Juan on Nov 1 on Koningsdam. I don't see how there's any chance of us going there, either.

For the sake of those people living in Puerto Rico, I certainly hope the island will be well enough along in their recovery by then to accommodate cruise ship visitors, but everything I've heard about the conditions there leads me to think that won't happen. I simply can't see using the limited resources currently available to residents of Puerto Rico to cater to cruise ship guests.

I did see on the website in the Q&A below the list of schedule changes that HAL will continue to monitor the conditions in San Juan and may make further changes as they see what the conditions are closer to our sail date.

We're on the oosterdam on November 4 to St Thomas and San Juan. I see no way possible that we can make those ports. Listen,I know we're past final payment and I know there isn't anything I can do and I'm ok with that. I understand the rules and I agreed with those rules but I do think HAL could be a little more upfront with their plans. Anyway, I'll be on a cruise going somewhere so I am grateful for that while at the same time I'm truly sorry and feel compassion for those who have lost everything. They have the true problems.

We were on the first cruise ship to dock at Granada after Hurricane Ivan destroyed the island's economy and buildings. Our ship brought some emergency supplies. I was proud to donate and spend money towards that island's recovery. Salvation Army and U.M.C.O.R. were both busy helping people.

I doubt these changes are the final word...

The Q&A section of the HAL "Caribbean Update" page says:

"Will my itinerary be changed?

For 2017 guests, if there is a change to the itinerary it is noted above. 2018 itineraries are being evaluated and an update will be provided on October 5." (Bolding & underlining added.)

So check back on October 5 (and after) for latest info from HAL.

Smooth sailing :ship: :ship: :ship:

HAL posted a comprehensive update regarding changes to 2017 Eastern Caribbean sailings due to hurricane damage:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Hurricane_Impact&showHeader=true&showFooter=true&legacy=true

Thank you for posting the link. Very helpful.