Refrigerator

iamchrisstone

My last cruise we had small fridge in our room. LOVED IT! My room this time does not have one. I have read (not sure if it was this forum or another) that if you ask your room attendant (sorry, i forget their title) for a fridge, they will provide one to you at no charge.

This doesn't make sense to me, but would be awesome if true. Do any of you know if this is true or not?

BTW, we are sailing on the Carnival Sunshine December 17-23

My last cruise we had small fridge in our room. LOVED IT! My room this time does not have one. I have read (not sure if it was this forum or another) that if you ask your room attendant (sorry, i forget their title) for a fridge, they will provide one to you at no charge.

This doesn't make sense to me, but would be awesome if true. Do any of you know if this is true or not?

Some rooms on the Sunshine do have fridges, some do not. If you do not, you can ask your steward to bring ice for your bucket or cooler, but unless you need a fridge for medical reasons, they will not bring you one.

Sometimes if you NEED one, say for medical reasons - to keep medication refrigerated, they may provide one. But other than that, bring a collapsible cooler and ask your steward to keep it full of ice. Find out before you cruise if it leaks tho - if it does just keep it in the shower. Mine leaks.

Chris -- I'm on the same cruise as you AND my husband has a need for a fridge for medical reasons (medication which must be kept refrigerated). On the advice of others that it was as simple as calling Guest Services and asking for one, I did so. That started a conversation with a snippy little GS associate who crossed my nerves the wrong direction. Long story short, No, you cannot get a fridge simply by asking for one. I was told (by more than just this associate -- I took it a couple levels above her smart-mouthed little head) that we could either hand his meds over to GS on the ship to hold (which meant he would need to go down to the GS desk each morning to retrieve his medication) or we could pay $70 for a medical cooler to keep in our room. However, when explaining the medical cooler, they were VERY clear that it was not sized/suitable to hold beverages. Which leads me to believe that many people who don't have a fridge in their staterooms are opting for this "medical cooler" and then providing feedback on it's size? Additionally, the $70 price tag seems high.

Given that this is our first cruise on Carnival (DCL and RC previously), I never even thought to ask if our stateroom has a fridge. We've just always had one. Although, the descriptions of our stateroom category online indicate that ours should have a mini-fridge but apparently no rooms on 8 have them despite the fact that our stateroom fits within that category.

Chris -- I'm on the same cruise as you AND my husband has a need for a fridge for medical reasons (medication which must be kept refrigerated). On the advice of others that it was as simple as calling Guest Services and asking for one, I did so. That started a conversation with a snippy little GS associate who crossed my nerves the wrong direction. Long story short, No, you cannot get a fridge simply by asking for one. I was told (by more than just this associate -- I took it a couple levels above her smart-mouthed little head) that we could either hand his meds over to GS on the ship to hold (which meant he would need to go down to the GS desk each morning to retrieve his medication) or we could pay $70 for a medical cooler to keep in our room. However, when explaining the medical cooler, they were VERY clear that it was not sized/suitable to hold beverages. Which leads me to believe that many people who don't have a fridge in their staterooms are opting for this "medical cooler" and then providing feedback on it's size? Additionally, the $70 price tag seems high.

Given that this is our first cruise on Carnival (DCL and RC previously), I never even thought to ask if our stateroom has a fridge. We've just always had one. Although, the descriptions of our stateroom category online indicate that ours should have a mini-fridge but apparently no rooms on 8 have them despite the fact that our stateroom fits within that category.

I"m on floor 8, also! btw your snippiness of the GS people is hilarious! I can't wait for this cruise.

So, on the cruises before that we did not have a fridge we just asked for ice over and over for our bucket, but as someone suggested above, i think i'm going to try to find a really good collapsable cooler to keep in our room. I've never spent much time in my room anyway, but nice to keep cold water or fruit.

We could pay $70 for a medical cooler to keep in our room. However, when explaining the medical cooler, they were VERY clear that it was not sized/suitable to hold beverages. Which leads me to believe that many people who don't have a fridge in their staterooms are opting for this "medical cooler" and then providing feedback on it's size? Additionally, the $70 price tag seems high.

Unless something has changed very recently, the $70 was a deposit and refunded at the end of the cruise. I am having difficulty with the Carnival website (big surprise) and can not verify through FAQ.

My own experience on the Triumph two years ago---an email to special need about a month before the cruise and a fridge as well as a sharps container were provided at no cost or deposit.

Is there a size requirement on coolers? or as long as it's collapsable?

The 12"x12"x12" size allowance is for hard-sided coolers. If you bring a collapsible cooler packed in your luggage no one is going measure it then confiscate it at boarding. The key is the cooler must remain in the cabin when unfolded. Anytime you wish to bring it on or off the ship it must be collapsed.

$70 deposit is now needed because the "entitled" people "NEED" a medi cooler to keep beer cold. Stuff like that makes me want to puke, the people who need one for medication now has to pay the deposit. BTW, if anyone tells you, to leave any medication with GS, proceed to security and report them, since that should never happen, they would be responsible for medications. All meds that needs to be stored should go to the infirmary, there it will be bagged, sealed, tagged and secured in a medical fridge. NEVER leave any meds else where.

Unless something has changed very recently, the $70 was a deposit and refunded at the end of the cruise. I am having difficulty with the Carnival website (big surprise) and can not verify through FAQ.

My own experience on the Triumph two years ago---an email to special need about a month before the cruise and a fridge as well as a sharps container were provided at no cost or deposit.

Unfortunately they not longer do this, even with an email ahead of time. I emailed Special Needs for my husband's medication and they said you have to get in line at GS and request one and they are first come, first served with a $70 deposit. If you are not lucky enough to get a fridge then you have to either use a cooler with ice and hope for the best or leave the meds with the ship's dr and go back and forth all day long. Totally unnecessary in my opinion. Guests should be able to provide proof of need beforehand and have a med fridge provided. They will however, provide a sharps container at no charge. Frustrating as I have always been able to have this taken care of ahead of time with the other line we have cruised with and I will stress about it the the day of our cruise until we are on the ship and in line at GS.

I"m on floor 8, also! btw your snippiness of the GS people is hilarious! I can't wait for this cruise.

So, on the cruises before that we did not have a fridge we just asked for ice over and over for our bucket, but as someone suggested above, i think i'm going to try to find a really good collapsable cooler to keep in our room. I've never spent much time in my room anyway, but nice to keep cold water or fruit.

We will definitely have to make it a point to bump into one another, then!

My snippiness regarding the GS associate is really a result of how inadequately she handled the request. For one, she snarkily responded to my question about asking for a fridge onboard (as I had read in some of these online forums) that "they don't just go handing them out to anyone who asks". She also (multiple times) said things like "if he validly needs his medication to be kept chilled. . ." and "for our guests who actually need it. . .". She even went so far as to tell me that if my situation "actually called for the fridge that badly" that I may want to seriously consider the "upgrade" that she was offering me: a spa room with a regular balcony (we got a premium balcony -- I don't really know what that means but she said the "upgrade" would be a smaller balcony) for MORE money. I told her that didn't feel like an upgrade and she got snippy with me and told me "you'd get the fridge, wouldn't you?". I damn near strangled her through the phone!

While it would be nice to have the fridge to keep waters or whatever sodas we bring onboard for our son, my primary goal is to keep that medication chilled for my husband. Having to jump through hoops like this and be treated like I'm trying to game the system is beyond irritating and NOT getting our first Carnival cruise off on the right foot!

My snippiness regarding the GS associate is really a result of how inadequately she handled the request. For one, she snarkily responded to my question about asking for a fridge onboard (as I had read in some of these online forums) that "they don't just go handing them out to anyone who asks". She also (multiple times) said things like "if he validly needs his medication to be kept chilled. . ." and "for our guests who actually need it. . .". She even went so far as to tell me that if my situation "actually called for the fridge that badly" that I may want to seriously consider the "upgrade" that she was offering me: a spa room with a regular balcony (we got a premium balcony -- I don't really know what that means but she said the "upgrade" would be a smaller balcony) for MORE money. I told her that didn't feel like an upgrade and she got snippy with me and told me "you'd get the fridge, wouldn't you?". I damn near strangled her through the phone!

:eek: whoa!

we sailed on her when it was the Destiny, and we had a fridge because I am on medication that MUST be refrigerated. they have a VERY LIMITED number of small cube fridges onboard. Please do not ask for a fridge unless you need one. You can always take a soft sided cooler and just have it filled with ice.

Book a newer ship and you don't have to worry about it.

we sailed on her when it was the Destiny, and we had a fridge because I am on medication that MUST be refrigerated. they have a VERY LIMITED number of small cube fridges onboard. Please do not ask for a fridge unless you need one. You can always take a soft sided cooler and just have it filled with ice.

Oh, I had no intention in taking advantage of something meant for people with needs. I would never do that.

If you fill out the medical form and tell them you need one for meds it will be provided for you and be in your cabin when you board. Without the proper paperwork its useless. Too many people lie and want it for beverages, so just fill out the form and you won't have a problem. I am a diabetic and carry my own little portable mini fridge (its like 12 inches long and 4 inches high ) just to keep my medication pen cool. Cost me about $50 8 years ago and I bring it on every cruise, solves the problem easily.

If you fill out the medical form and tell them you need one for meds it will be provided for you and be in your cabin when you board. Without the proper paperwork its useless. Too many people lie and want it for beverages, so just fill out the form and you won't have a problem. I am a diabetic and carry my own little portable mini fridge (its like 12 inches long and 4 inches high ) just to keep my medication pen cool. Cost me about $50 8 years ago and I bring it on every cruise, solves the problem easily.

How do you get this done before you board? I contacted Carnival and they said it isn't possible. I was told that you have to go to guest services after boarding and ask for one and pay a $70 deposit and it is first come, first served.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...

I am a diabetic on insulin. I bought the frio wallet to keep my insulin cool. I have used it at least 4 or 5 trips and works great. It is activated with cold water. I don’t know how it works but it does. There are several different sizes depending on what you need.