St Maarten update

fridaythe13th

I hate to be a downer about what sounds positive BUT just because the port will be operational does not mean that the island is ready for visitors. We know people there: many people are still evacuated or without proper housing, most businesses are still not operational. The infrastructure is still being repaired. Beaches are a mess. Not all roads are cleared of debris. Personally I will be greatly surprised if things will actually be ready for tourists by January. (I hope for the island's economy that they will be but there is still so much to do!)

That's very good news.... Thanks for sharing.. Not sure if Norwegian would make changes to itinerary go back to St. Marten.. I will be really happy if they do....

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Btw I am cruising on 11th Nov on escape to easter Caribbean and itinerary changed to Western.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Personally I will be greatly surprised if things will actually be ready for tourists by January. (I hope for the island's economy that they will be but there is still so much to do!)

Agreed but at least now there is a glimmer of hope that our January itinerary (minus Tortola) may be doable.

I hate to be a downer about what sounds positive BUT just because the port will be operational does not mean that the island is ready for visitors. We know people there: many people are still evacuated or without proper housing, most businesses are still not operational. The infrastructure is still being repaired. Beaches are a mess. Not all roads are cleared of debris. Personally I will be greatly surprised if things will actually be ready for tourists by January. (I hope for the island's economy that they will be but there is still so much to do!)

I agree. Of course they will bet as much done and ready as they can, but there is so much to do, so little equiptment and not the help we would have had this been in our country. I think it is wishful thinking. Let's hope I am wrong.The issue is not only the pier itself but the tourist activities, the downtown area, etc. Seems like a stretch to me.

From all the videos and news stories there is a major problem with the power grid. The problem is that is has been destroyed. It cannot be repaired, it is DESTROYED and has to be rebuilt from the ground up.

First the generators must be made well. Then the high tension towers, which in most places have been destroyed, must be put up and the linesmen can finally get to work installing the miles and miles of high voltage lines from the source to the local distribution centers. From these centers to the people, new utility poles, transformers and lines must be installed and rerun. Once that is done lines must wait for all on them to be made ready or cut off line and since so many structures have been damaged or destroyed totally that will be a while. The are videos of people trying to get the downed poles off the streets. The poles are cemented into the sidewalks in many places making replacement ten times more difficult. Where can they get thousands and thousands of poles, hundreds of miles of cables and wires, thousands of transformers, high tension towers and the crews to do the work?

The US Army engineers are moving in with heavy equipment, bulldozers, excavators and other equipment need to just clear the roads. Gasoline is there and distributed to hospitals and gas stations (with generators) and limited to 10 gallons per person by decree of the governor.

Hundreds of satellite phones have been distributed to areas all over the island to help with emercency communications since there are only a couple of operating cell towers.

I would be surprised if any of the cruise lines decisions to make San Juan a viable stop, other than to deliver some rescue suppleis and leave, come to pass.

I hope I am wrong.

bosco

From all the videos and news stories there is a major problem with the power grid. The problem is that is has been destroyed. It cannot be repaired, it is DESTROYED and has to be rebuilt from the ground up.

First the generators must be made well. Then the high tension towers, which in most places have been destroyed, must be put up and the linesmen can finally get to work installing the miles and miles of high voltage lines from the source to the local distribution centers. From these centers to the people, new utility poles, transformers and lines must be installed and rerun. Once that is done lines must wait for all on them to be made ready or cut off line and since so many structures have been damaged or destroyed totally that will be a while. The are videos of people trying to get the downed poles off the streets. The poles are cemented into the sidewalks in many places making replacement ten times more difficult. Where can they get thousands and thousands of poles, hundreds of miles of cables and wires, thousands of transformers, high tension towers and the crews to do the work?

The US Army engineers are moving in with heavy equipment, bulldozers, excavators and other equipment need to just clear the roads. Gasoline is there and distributed to hospitals and gas stations (with generators) and limited to 10 gallons per person by decree of the governor.

Hundreds of satellite phones have been distributed to areas all over the island to help with emercency communications since there are only a couple of operating cell towers.

I would be surprised if any of the cruise lines decisions to make San Juan a viable stop, other than to deliver some rescue suppleis and leave, come to pass.

I hope I am wrong.

bosco

Is your whole post about Puerto Rico? This thread is about St Maarten. Perhaps I'm reading you wrong.

Opening up to cruise ships and tourists is so important. Of course, it won't be back to "normal" but it will be enough to get the tourist dollar input again.

When we were there for a port stop last year, our private guide very often reminded us of a previous hurricane and the damage it had done and how they were still rebuilding. They will recover and your tourist dollar is what helps.

Is your whole post about Puerto Rico? This thread is about St Maarten. Perhaps I'm reading you wrong.

Probably the wrong place to post.

I just can't imagine St. Maarten can be put back in order any more quickly than Puerto Rico. From all I have seen and read, aside from a few overly optimistic reports, it looks to be in the same state of destruction.

Sorry

bosco

I just can't imagine St. Maarten can be put back in order any more quickly than Puerto Rico. From all I have seen and read, aside from a few overly optimistic reports, it looks to be in the same state of destruction.

I suggest taking a look at a map. The entire island of St. Maarten is smaller than the urbanized area of San Juan alone. Puerto Rico is magnitudes of times bigger in terms of size and affected areas. It does not surprise me at all that a smaller island can get up and running faster, and even then they will likely be limiting the areas that tourists are exposed to.

I suggest taking a look at a map. The entire island of St. Maarten is smaller than the urbanized area of San Juan alone. Puerto Rico is magnitudes of times bigger in terms of size and affected areas. It does not surprise me at all that a smaller island can get up and running faster, and even then they will likely be limiting the areas that tourists are exposed to.

That is very true. and will make rebuilding or repairing much easier. It is however hard to imagine how soon people will have a place for tourists to enjoy when they have months if not years ahead of them just to put a roof over their heads. AGAIN I hope I am wrong...The shops at the dock and maybe front and back streets will be open possibly..

They may also not be getting the enormous amount of help that is now pouring into Puerto Rico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vz2dwnUGgo This is a link to St. Maarten.

bosco