Bringing Wine Into Italy?

fastpitchdad

Has anyone brought wine with them into Italy to bring on a cruise? We belong to way too many wine clubs and my wife bottles for local wineries (she is paid in wine) so we would like to bring some of our own wine with us for our cruise next Sunday. We actually have the UBP promo so if it is too much of a hassle we will skip it. But we thought it would be nice to have some good wine in our cabin so we could relax on our balcony without having to run back to a bar for another glass.

my wife bottles for local wineries (she is paid in wine)

Any vacancies ;) - How many bottles per hour? :D

Nothing to stop you - just account for the + weight in your airline luggage + risk of breakage.

Then corkage to pay on every bottle (yes even those consumed in your cabin) you bring on board.

According to the Italian tourist board you can bring 2 bottles of wine into the country for personal use only. :wine-glass: Cheers!

http://www.italiantourism.com/regulat.html

But do you really want to lug bottles of wine half-way around the world? Just stop on your way to the ship and pick up a couple of local bottles. I hear Italy makes some a bit of the stuff.

The ship of course charges the $15 per bottle fee.

Not sure if you are hitting another country before boarding... but you MIGHT have to pay a tax/fee for bringing it in. In reality, nobody has every asked us or checked our bags when landing in the EU.

Greetings

Lug a bunch of wine to Europe??? Why!!!!! We are wine lovers. Our cellar has over 1,400 bottles of wine almost all from small boutique wineries that can't be bought anywhere but from the wineries. It's great wine. But Europe has a huge selection of wines and most are very inexpensive. The biggest problem is trying to choose what to buy. We brought bottles back to the ship from every port. Now we were on Oceania and Viking so there was no fee to bring wine aboard, but you will have to pay a corkage whether you get local wine or fly it all the way from home. And spending a little time wine shopping at the ports can be quite fun.

Good Sailing

Tom

According to the Italian tourist board you can bring 2 bottles of wine into the country for personal use only. :wine-glass: Cheers!

http://www.italiantourism.com/regulat.html

Thanks (and everyone else who replied). :)

Greetings

Lug a bunch of wine to Europe??? Why!!!!! We are wine lovers. Our cellar has over 1,400 bottles of wine almost all from small boutique wineries that can't be bought anywhere but from the wineries. It's great wine. But Europe has a huge selection of wines and most are very inexpensive. The biggest problem is trying to choose what to buy. We brought bottles back to the ship from every port. Now we were on Oceania and Viking so there was no fee to bring wine aboard, but you will have to pay a corkage whether you get local wine or fly it all the way from home. And spending a little time wine shopping at the ports can be quite fun.

Good Sailing

Tom

I was just thinking a couple of bottles that we know is good wine. It is not that big of a deal to stick it in a suitcase. Our cellar is about the same size as yours and keeps growing...we have to drink it some time :).

You should be ok to bring a few bottles in if you can cope with the extra weight but why ? your going to Italy who produce some of the best wines in the world , buy some local wine when you get there . It will be a lot easier in my opinion , have you heard the saying " taking coals to Newcastle " this springs to mind . Hope you enjoy Europe x

Bringing the wine into Italy may not be a problem but you may find the problem is taking it on board. NCL are very very strict on taking liquids of any sort on board. We were in line to rebourd at a port of call and a lady had an unopened bottle of water that she had purchased on board that morning and she had it confiscated on boarding.

Bringing the wine into Italy may not be a problem but you may find the problem is taking it on board. NCL are very very strict on taking liquids of any sort on board. We were in line to rebourd at a port of call and a lady had an unopened bottle of water that she had purchased on board that morning and she had it confiscated on boarding.

The question is about wine and there is no problem to bring wine as long as the fee is paid.

You will have to put the wine in your checked baggage to transport it to Europe. I assume you realise that the baggage will spend upwards of at least eight hours in what will probably be an unpressurised compartment. I did it once about 15 years ago and whether it was the pressure or the gentle handling of our cases in the baggage system, the bottle shattered. I was taking small slivers of glass out of my jumper for several years and I don't think the smell ever went completely. I suppose I should be grateful it was white wine!

I would have assumed that a little research would help you to find a perfectly suitable bottle of wine on the ship and virtually anywhere landside, after all the grapes you are used to probably started their genetic life somewhere in Europe. Just a tip if shopping for wine in Europe - go into the supermarket and look for the bin with hardly any bottles in it - that will be the one that the locals choose most ;)

I realize it sounds kind of silly but I just wanted to bring a couple of bottles I know are good. My vision when we booked a balcony was relaxing on it with a nice glass of wine. Plus we have so much I would like to drink some of it :D .

I am not too worried about it breaking on the flight. We go to the outer banks every summer (from Seattle) and I usually bring 10 bottles tightly packed in one of our suitcases. Although at least in that case we have a washer and dryer waiting for us in case disaster happens.

This was last Saturday when I spent the day entering the past years acquisitions into Cellar Tracker.

37412524571_1aba0df22a_o_d.jpg