Rome Colosseum Tour concern

stcroixguy

I am looking for some expertise from the group here. We are sailing on Oct. 18th on the Viking Sun Italian Sojourn with a two day extension in Rome. Air and transfers are all done by Viking. We had arrange a tour of the Colosseum Dungeons Tour with "the Roman Guy" on the afternoon of our arrival day in Rome. I just got an email saying the time has been changed to 12:50 at the Colosseum. I was told that Viking books the hotel at The Grand Hotel Palace but I have not received any information from Viking about that. This is our first time in Rome. The questions : #1 What time can we leave the ship on the last day with Viking doing the transfers? #2 What time can we reasonably expect to arrive at our hotel? #3 Is the hotel still the Grand Hotel Palace? #4 Can we make it to the Colosseum by 12:30ish? What is the best way to get from the hotel to the Colosseum?

Thanks in advance for you help. Not many days to sail and we are EXCITED!

IMHO, contact Viking directly with your questions. They are the best ones to give you reliable answers to your questions. We can tell you what our experiences have been but that doesn't mean that is what you will encounter. Contact them at tellus@vikingcruises.com. Include your name, phone and booking number.

#1 No idea, but I would expect probably an hour after the ships arrival.

#2 It depends on if the transfer is by train or coach, the train takes an hour to get from the port to termini, from there it's a 5 minute cab ride to your hotel. If it's by coach you're looking at 1 1/2 hours, depending on Rome traffic, which can be a nightmare.

#3 No idea

#4 It's a 20 minute cab ride from your hotel, Rome taxi drivers are insane so the time can be less. I personally take the metro, but I have been to Rome many times, as it's your first time and your first day, take a cab, they are not expensive and it saves dealing with the metro.

As others have said, contact Viking, a lot of your plans come down to when you can get out of the port, if it's early in the morning, you shouldn't have an issue with your 12:50pm time, if it's later than 9 am I really wouldn't put money on you making it to the Colosseum by 12:50pm....

Just off topic for a second, as it's your first time in Rome, I would be more than happy to give you the names of a couple of restaurants there that have amazing food that won't break the wallet, just let me know.

I found some other recommendations for restaurants in Rome, in the budget-conscious range (under 15 euros):

Trastevere area

Trattoria da Lucia (family-run since before WWII), closed Mondays, cash only - avoid sitting in the back room.

Trattoria da Olinda (closed Sunday, cash only)

Pizzeria "Ai Marmi" (pizza place, also served fried cod, rice balls, etc. Closed Wed, cash only, really busy from 22:00 - 22:00, they open at 18:30).

Catina Ripagrande (lunch 13:00 - 15:30, dinner 19:30 - 22:30, with drinks throughout the day - happy hour from 18:00 - 20:30, which includes a little buffet).

Pantheon Area, Near Camp de' Fiori

Filetti di Baccala (specialty is fried cod and other finger foods - closed Sunday, cash only - a greasy-spoon)

Open Baladin (modern brewpub with burgers, salads, etc - prices a little high, opens at noon)

Or let me know which area you'll be looking in (or a nearby monument/attraction), and I can get more :)

Funny story: When I first traveled to Italy in high school, we got some pizza in Capri and I think I threw out half of it, thinking that it was horrible pizza. Oooooh, how little did I know back then!!

Now my eyes have been opened, and I can't wait to go back! I'm hoping for enough time in Naples to get a true Neapolitan pizza!

Our favorite Rome restaurants are Life and Clemente Alla Maddalena.

[As an alternative for your tour we used Rome Private Guides. They are excellent!]

Have fun!

That made me think as well, we were in Rome last year with the family, we ended up just joining a tour, the people selling it were outside the metro station across from the Colosseum, I think it was 20 euros all in and honestly, it was as good as any private tour we have done there....

Thank You:cool:

My pleasure, just out of interest, where does your name stem from ? I spent a lot of my youth in the USVI, mostly St Thomas and St John though.

For the best pizza in Rome visit Pizzeria San Marco in the Prati District (not the one downtown). A few streets away is Via Cola Di Rienzo a wonderful street for shopping, including a public market. Look for the shoe shop Fabio Di Marco, great buys on Italian made shoes for men and women. There is also a branch of the Italian department store chain, Coin.