turtle encounter barbados

starfamily

I was starting to look at excursions for our February cruise and the turtle encounter sounds intersting in Barbados, has anyone done this, did yousee turtles in their natural environment? We have swam with sharks and stingrays both in their natural setting and dolphins in a controlled one, I think turtles would be cool,

there are two we are considering the 5 star catameran one and the freshwater bay one, any thoughts?

we did the 5 star there in March 04 and thoroughly enjoyed it...we swam with a ton of turtles (and a couple of large tarpon), the lunch on the cat with excellent and so was the beach stop. Highly recommended.

we booked it thru Princess.

they are BIG turtles...ranging from 1ft across to well over 3 ft across..and the tarpon fish were 4ft to over 6ft long.

sorry....no pics...mine were all taken with an underwater film camera.

one of the cat staff get in the water with you and feed the turtles..the tarpon hang around a grab some scraps.

We did this tour on the 5 Star Catamaran for the second time last month from the Sea Princess. Again, it was fantastic. The turtles swim right under you and next to the boat. Some are very large and it is a great way to see them in their natural habitat.

I would highly recommend it.

I did this trip also and would do it again! It was really cool to see them up close and actually swim with them. I took photos but they didn't come out so good. Have fun!

I told DS and DH at dinner about this and they looked at me like "get real..turtles?" I am thinking big sea turtles and they are thinking little painted turtles, does anyone have any photos they can email me?

(morin10@charter.net)

I told DS and DH at dinner about this and they looked at me like "get real..turtles?" I am thinking big sea turtles and they are thinking little painted turtles, does anyone have any photos they can email me?

(morin10@charter.net)

StarFamily...check your email.

http://community.webshots.com/album/376386111CmKjAi

This is a link to our pics taken in June from the Silvermoon I catamaran, a private tour. Just as we were leaving a ship's tour showed up. The turtles are awesome and you will love it. I recommend just floating with your face in the water and not kicking your feet. I came close to kicking one in one of the pics. The baby turtle was adorable. We loved it so much we plan to do this tour every time we go to Barbados.

http://community.webshots.com/album/376386111CmKjAi

This is a link to our pics taken in June from the Silvermoon I catamaran, a private tour. Just as we were leaving a ship's tour showed up. The turtles are awesome and you will love it. I recommend just floating with your face in the water and not kicking your feet. I came close to kicking one in one of the pics. The baby turtle was adorable. We loved it so much we plan to do this tour every time we go to Barbados.

How did you book this tour? Was it better value than the ship's one? We are going next Dec and i would like to swim with the turtles.

I did a project in Barbados a couple of years ago (tho have cruised there before) so had some weekends to kill on the Island.

There are some days when ships are not in port .. so I tried one of the 'large' ships to do the snorkeling trip (yes turtles and a wreck). These larger ships are designed for the cruise ship trade and hold may 100-150pax. I was VERY disappointed. Too many drunks by noon .. and very loud and blaring music all the time. While in the water it was body-to-body! This is the type of tour the cruise ship will book you on.

There are also booze cruises (Jolly Roger) that are just that. Drink and dance and maybe use the water slide to get wet. NOT a choice I would make.

I found a local company called Small Cats http://www.funbarbados.com/Tours/smallcats.CFM that have smaller catamarans for up to 12 pax. They picked me up at the hotel (assume also the cruise ship) and drive you to the beach where the boats are at.. out of the congested harbour where everyone else leaves from. These cats tend to beat the larger boats to the various scuba areas .. so as we were leaving the jumbo boats came in. The captain tried to get to the best spots first would skip one if a jumbo was there .. and we came back later. A very private feeling!

With up to 12 pax (I know you can charter for less) there is a freedom about swimming and eating and relaxing. The music only came on while lunch was being prepared and was 'light and pleasant'. I was tired and stayed onboard at the last stop and had a wonderful time soaking in the sun and the entire feeling.

I would highly suggest this company .. and the size and 'low key' approach. I think they have some booze onboard .. but that is not the primary reason for the trip!

Archived