Itinerary Change - Cancelled Shore Excursion - Gift Card Refund?

timenprayer

Hi - sailing on the 10/28 Glory which was moved from Eastern to Western. I pre- purchased a Half Moon Cay cabana using a Carnival Gift Card.

I then used the remaining gift card balance to pay on our cruise. As the card had zero balance, I tossed it.

Now, since the itinerary has changed, Carnival has stated that pre-purchased shore excursions would be applied as OBC. But today, I got an email stating that it would be refunded to my credit card. The strange thing was that in the email today it said it would be applied to my “credit card ending in” but did not specify the ending 4 digits.

How will the refund be processed, and what happens if it goes to the gift card and I don’t have it anymore?

TIA for any help.

I think they refund via gift card if for some reason you end up having a positive balance on your sail and sign card post cruise if you deposited gift cards only in your account. I do not think they will issue you another gift card and mail or email it to you prior to your cruise. That does not make sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, I called today to our PVP. I was told that because the excursion was canceled by Carnival, that it would be applied as OBC on our 10/28 sailing. Had I canceled the shore excursion myself, then I would have been issued a new Carnival Gift Card that would've been mailed to my address on file. PVP said that it would take "several weeks" for the gift card to arrive had that been the case.

I am very glad that I did not cancel the excursion myself or else the gift card might not have arrived prior to sailing.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I called today to our PVP. I was told that because the excursion was canceled by Carnival, that it would be applied as OBC on our 10/28 sailing. Had I canceled the shore excursion myself, then I would have been issued a new Carnival Gift Card that would've been mailed to my address on file. PVP said that it would take "several weeks" for the gift card to arrive had that been the case.

I am very glad that I did not cancel the excursion myself or else the gift card might not have arrived prior to sailing.

Hope this helps.

Don’t count on it. People on our cruise (Glory Oct 14) were told that same thing via letter and it was automatically refunded to original form of payment. You may have to call Shore Excursions and tell them what you want.

I was also told by Carnival Customer Service on the phone that since they cancelled my excursions for the October 7th sailing on the Vista, since I had paid for them with Carnival Gift cards, the refund would appear as OBC when I boarded. Well, today there was a Fed Ex envelope at my door with a Carnival Gift card for the total of my excursion payments. So glad it came before I left for Miami tomorrow!

Had the very same thing happen on my Conquest cruise Next Saturday. First email stating OBC, then email stating refund to credit card (with no digits listed for CC since I used gift card). My PVP called higher up the chain and those that received that email (stating back to credit card with no digits listed that used a gift card actually) will be getting a gift card in the mail. He stated it would take 5-7 business days.

The letter did say it would be refunded to the credit card in 5-7 business days too I believe if you read it, mine did. So I am hoping mine arrives in time before I leave next Friday.

I would not expect to see OBC, but a gift card in the mail.

Had the very same thing happen on my Conquest cruise Next Saturday. First email stating OBC, then email stating refund to credit card (with no digits listed for CC since I used gift card). My PVP called higher up the chain and those that received that email (stating back to credit card with no digits listed that used a gift card actually) will be getting a gift card in the mail. He stated it would take 5-7 business days.

The letter did say it would be refunded to the credit card in 5-7 business days too I believe if you read it, mine did. So I am hoping mine arrives in time before I leave next Friday.

I would not expect to see OBC, but a gift card in the mail.

Just wanted to come back and let OP (and others) know, what my PVP said is correct. No OBC, I received it in the form of a carnival gift card today via Fed Ex.

Just wanted to come back and let OP (and others) know, what my PVP said is correct. No OBC, I received it in the form of a carnival gift card today via Fed Ex.

Thanks for the update. Can you confirm on what date Carnival canceled your excursion and then on what date you received the gift card?

Just want to make sure that I’ll get the gift card before we cruise. I don’t really want to get a Carnival gift card after we sail as I won’t immediately have purpose for it. [emoji3]

Thanks!

Sometimes Carnival screws up and mails the refund gift card to the TA and not the "address on file." Then you spend months chasing it down because Carnival insists they sent it to you and the TA isn't sure what to do with it and files it. Lots of back and forth phone calls and being told it takes several weeks... Please call back next week. They eventually cancel the card and reissue. Then 2 months later, the original card shows up in your mailbox from the TA.

Happened to me once before after cancelling FttF. Deja vu right now waiting to get a cruise deposit refunded for a reservation I cancelled in Aug!

Thanks for the update. Can you confirm on what date Carnival canceled your excursion and then on what date you received the gift card?

Just want to make sure that I’ll get the gift card before we cruise. I don’t really want to get a Carnival gift card after we sail as I won’t immediately have purpose for it. [emoji3]

Thanks!

I received the email stating it had been refunded to my credit card ending in.... "no numbers" on September 30th. I called my PVP that day and he followed up and said since it was a gift card it would be back in 5-7 days. I received the gift card Fed Ex today October 4th.

I don't know if they are going in order by sail date or something, but we sail next Saturday, October 14th... so they may be doing them in order by who is sailing 1st to try to make sure they get them before they sail... I was happy to see it today as I was wondering if it would make it before we left next Friday or not too.

PS: I do NOT use a TA, so my stuff is all handled direct. Those that use TA's seem be having big delays in receiving their refunds. I have always cut out the middle man and just go direct. My PVP is helpful though and I am glad I got him instead of just a random, regular Carnival customer service rep to work with.

I received the email stating it had been refunded to my credit card ending in.... "no numbers" on September 30th. I called my PVP that day and he followed up and said since it was a gift card it would be back in 5-7 days. I received the gift card Fed Ex today October 4th.

I don't know if they are going in order by sail date or something, but we sail next Saturday, October 14th... so they may be doing them in order by who is sailing 1st to try to make sure they get them before they sail... I was happy to see it today as I was wondering if it would make it before we left next Friday or not too.

PS: I do NOT use a TA, so my stuff is all handled direct. Those that use TA's seem be having big delays in receiving their refunds. I have always cut out the middle man and just go direct. My PVP is helpful though and I am glad I got him instead of just a random, regular customer service rep to work with.

Thank you very much. Very helpful and much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to bump this up again. I had received the email from Carnival on 10/1/17 that my pre-booked shore excursion had been canceled due to an itinerary change.

It's now 10/18/17 and I still have not received a gift card via FedEx from Carnival.

We sail 10/28/17 and I really want to use that gift card balance for on board activities. Should I call again, even though my PVP originally told me it would be OBC?

Just want to bump this up again. I had received the email from Carnival on 10/1/17 that my pre-booked shore excursion had been canceled due to an itinerary change.

It's now 10/18/17 and I still have not received a gift card via FedEx from Carnival.

We sail 10/28/17 and I really want to use that gift card balance for on board activities. Should I call again, even though my PVP originally told me it would be OBC?

If your PVP told you it would be OBC, why do you expect to get a gift card? An OBC doesn't come as a gift card. I am confused by what you are saying. I'd take the word of the PVP over someone who posted on here talking about a different circumstance.