History of Holland - need some advice

golova

I traveled on Holland ship from Baltimore to Canada. It was hot hot August. But I do not remember the year (probably mid 90-s) And it was my first cruise at all. I remember that it was the oldest ship of Holland Family - very beautiful inside but visibly shabby. And after that trip I was told she will be refurbished and renovated.

The problem is that I do not remember the name of the ship (Rotterdam?) and exact time of that cruise.

I need help: whom I can ask about this matter? Where to look for data?

I will appreciate anyone help.

The oldest ship in the HAL fleet is the Prinsendam, but I can't imagine her doing that itinerary.

The oldest ship in the fleet that was built for HAL was the Statendam, but she is no longer with HAL.

Her sister, the Maasdam, used to do cruises out of Baltimore.

Are any of those names familiar?

1Angelcat gave you the best advice. Or you can check your cruising history on the HAL website. It should be there.

I traveled on Holland ship from Baltimore to Canada. It was hot hot August. But I do not remember the year (probably mid 90-s) And it was my first cruise at all. I remember that it was the oldest ship of Holland Family - very beautiful inside but visibly shabby. And after that trip I was told she will be refurbished and renovated.

The problem is that I do not remember the name of the ship (Rotterdam?) and exact time of that cruise.

I need help: whom I can ask about this matter? Where to look for data?

I will appreciate anyone help.

Hello!

I am updating our Holland America Cruise Line History. Here is a portion of that -- hope it helps! Not sure which ship sailed from Baltimore.

Statendam-class ships now include Statendam, Maasdam and Veendam. Ryndam was transferred to P&O Cruises Australia in November 2015 and renamed Pacific Aria. The four vessels entered service between 1993 and 1996. The ships were ordered not long after Carnival Corporation bought Holland America. Since Carnival didn't want the Holland America ships to compete in size with its own Carnival Cruise Line, the Statendam ships were kept to a more modest size: 55,000 GRT, 720 feet long, with a passenger capacity of approximately 1,260. It's a nice configuration that feels more spacious than other mid-sized ships. The Statendam-class ships feature two-level dining rooms and large atriums; these four vessels epitomize the line's vintage charm as the oldest in the fleet.

The Rotterdam class of vessels consist of the line's two flagships, the 1,316-passenger Rotterdam and the 1,380-passenger Amsterdam, built in 1997 and 2000, respectively. (Both ships are 780 feet long and approximately 60,000 GRT.) As flagships, the Rotterdam and Amsterdam were designed to show off Holland America at its best -- and most opulent. They were decorated with a lot of dark woods, ornate dining facilities, elaborate atriums, and the impressive original artworks that are the line's hallmark. Constructed for longer voyages, the ships carried passengers on world cruises from 1997 to 2001.

Almost as contemporary are the 1,440-passenger sister ships, Zaandam and Volendam, of the same size as Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The ships debuted in 1999 and 2000, sandwiched in between the launch of the line's Rotterdam and Statendam classes of ships. Zaandam and Volendam feature a convenient third staircase for easier access to public rooms, a very spacious and well-equipped gym facility, and more (168) of the popular "verandah suites" than any other Holland America ship. Zaandam and Volendam were the first ships in the fleet to introduce what has now become Holland America's signature restaurant, the Pinnacle Grill.

Holland America purchased the 793-passenger Prinsendam in 2002. Built in 1988, the ship was originally called the Royal Viking Sun, and then became the Seabourn Sun. Holland America dubbed the ship its "Elegant Explorer," and has been primarily utilized for longer sailings, such as world cruises. Although Holland America updated the ship when it was purchased, Prinsdendam still has an old-world feel, with lots of dark woods and brass accents -- but also plenty of modern amenities, including wireless access. Some say that Prinsendam's promenade deck, with its unobstructed views, is one of the nicest on the seas.

Statendam-class ships now include Statendam, Maasdam and Veendam. Ryndam was transferred to P&O Cruises Australia in November 2015 and renamed Pacific Aria.

The Statendam was also transferred to P&O Australia at the same time the Ryndam was.