Catalonia Indep. Referendum effect on Barcelona tourism?

emTnesTers

There are always two sides to any issue & this isn't a political forum so would prefer learning objective facts about the affects of the situation on cruise ship passengers & less about political opinions.

Learning some things about the politics can be enlightening but presenting one side of an issue as being the only side isn't helpful. It's an emotional issue for both sides of the situation however this is not a political debate forum.

I'm reading other sources to formulate my opinions but won't express them here to not participate in a political debate. Moderators have locked or deleted threads that become political debates so hopefully this discussion will revert to being primarily a cruise related discussion.

There are other sources for political debate but Cruise Critic is not one of them.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hallo

My name is Renata and I am now in Barcelona until Monday. I do not normally post but I want to thank you EnricM for your posts. You have said many times you are pro-independence but I have always found your posts on this matter very helpful and also accurate (not political like marazul). Today for example, my husband and I went to Casa Batiló (excuse if mispelling) and saw the demonstration you mentioned. While it is true that was peaceful, at first, we saw a few very scary individuals with swastikas and Spanish flags shouting very scarily. In Germany swastikas are not allowed. Some Catalan flags were being burnt also until Catalan police arrived and then they dispersed. When we have finished we planned to go to El Raval, but in Plaza Catalunya we saw a bunch of these hooligans destroying a bar, throwing chairs to each other and smashing windows. All very scary. Thank you for your warning.

We have friends from Germany living in here in Barcelona and they have told us how different are the two sides, they said that all the rallies for the pro-independence are always peaceful and cheerful but when the pro-Spain have gathered, there are sometimes ugly scenes. They do not publicly mix with the issue, but my friend tells me she understands very well why many Catalans want to leave Spain. She says pro-independence are majority and she thinks sooner or later Catalonia will secede. Good luck.

I loved Barcelona and I cannot wait to return, so many things to see but limited time. I also liked very much the people, they are so kind and helpful. We got lost yesterday in Sarria neighbourhood -beautiful but a maze- and a Catalan woman we found in a coffee shop walked us to the metro station while she explained about the neighbourhood, very interesting history... you do not find this in Berlin!

Thank you for your beautiful city and for being so kind in the forum.