Hong Kong Hotels

smj

We will be spending two nights at the Intercontinental Hotel. We spent a week there a few years ago when it was The Regent. It is a beautiful place right on the edge of the harbor looking right over to the skyline of Hong Kong. It is a block from the Peninsula Hotel and a short walk from the Star Ferry.

smj,

I'm not familiar with the Nikko. If the InterContinental is the old Regent Hotel, then it's on Kowloon and not the Hong Kong side. Personally, I'm not a fan of staying on Kowloon. It's too busy and noisy for me and I don't like the restaurants. I prefer staying on the HK side and taking the ferry to Kowloon when I want to visit places there (like the jade market or Tsim Tsua Tshui)

I love the Grand Hyatt, the Shangri-La, and the Mandarin Oriental Hotels. All are 5 star and have harbour views.

The Grand Hyatt has typical Grand Hyatt rooms - elegant but western style. However, the hotel has a great location near the ferry, an abundance of terrific restaurants (including the famous Grissini's and the Champagne Bar) and bars and fantastic service.

The Shangri-La has gorgeous and huge chinese style rooms, is attached to an upscale mall and the Conran is the other side of the mall. The location isn't as close to the ferry (they have free shuttle to ferry) but is close to Hong Kong Park.

Mandarin Hotel rooms have been renovated since I last stayed there, so can't comment, though I'm sure they're lovely. Location is great, near ferry and hotel has many restaurants and shops.

Hong Kong is a blast! Enjoy!

Jane

There are two Intercontinental Hotels in Kowloon. The Intercontinental Grand Stanford is actually the previous Holiday Inn Harbor View and is located right next to the Hotel Nikko. Both are good 4-5 star choices with harbor view rooms. Their location is a bit further to the east of Kowloon peninsula and away (but within walking distance) of the main shopping areas and the subway.

The Intercontinental Hong Kong Hotel is the previous Regent which is definitely more upscale (and expensive), and closer to the Star Ferry and Nathan Road.

Archived