We bought hubby a new suit at JC Penney at a great price

momofmeg

Hubby has not had a new suit in like 3 years-he dresses casual for work-I would always want him to take his dark charcoal grey pinstriped suit on cruises because I felt it looked best for formal night. He has several others in green and tan pinstriped and plaids but no other suits I felt were dark enough to look nice.

Well Parisian had a sale on their Ralph Lauren suits-normally $500 for $250 and another brand was $300 normally $600. Well we went over there and though we could find grey, tan, etc. No navy in his size. He takes a 42L in suit jackets.

On a whim we went over to Penney's.Well their Stafford brand was on sale- I believe that is the JC Penney generic brand right? but we have always liked Stafford-we were also able to buy the suit in separates-which is better for hubby-as he needs a 36/30 in pants. Hubby is 6 feet tall but long waisted so his legs are short-often too we have to have the pants major altered when he buys a suit because the pants in size for the suit 42L do not match him.

We ended up buying him a navy suit-100% wool for $150. Not only that but Penney's had some men's lamb leather blazers for $100-normally-$240. So we ended up getting him that too-and heck we got the suit and the leather blazer for what we would have paid for the suit alone in Parisian.

You guys know how I love a deal-so this made me very happy.

Not only that but I found too-Penney's has tuxes-and they were 100% wool and on sale for $100. (also Stafford brand) Now the cumberbund, tie, and shirt are not included in that price-but still I felt the tuxes were a great deal-but I could not get hubby to buy one. I thought though I would let you gals know about it.

By the way too-the suits at Parisian-were a wool/poly blend-so our getting hubby a suit in 100% wool for the price we did-even if it was a genaric brand-made me very happy.

Not only that but I found too-Penney's has tuxes-and they were 100% wool and on sale for $100. (also Stafford brand) Now the cumberbund, tie, and shirt are not included in that price-but still I felt the tuxes were a great deal-but I could not get hubby to buy one.

In my devious little mind, I would be thinking "Christmas present." :rolleyes:

Congratulations on the deal, momofmeg!

I'd check out that tux deal except for I just ordered one for my hubby from etux.com and it has already arrived. I paid about $180 for the 100% wool tux (Bill Blass), cummerbund, tie, cufflinks, button covers and an upgraded shirt (100% cotton which was $10 extra). It has arrived and I have to say, it looks stunning on him!! Can't wait for our cruise so I can see him in it again!

Beth, I liked your little devious thoughts. Too funny!

Congratulations on the deal, momofmeg!

I'd check out that tux deal except for I just ordered one for my hubby from etux.com and it has already arrived. I paid about $180 for the 100% wool tux (Bill Blass), cummerbund, tie, cufflinks, button covers and an upgraded shirt (100% cotton which was $10 extra). It has arrived and I have to say, it looks stunning on him!! Can't wait for our cruise so I can see him in it again!

Beth, I liked your little devious thoughts. Too funny!

These tuxes were the genaric Stafford brand-so I would think the Bill Blass would be nicer and look nicer and really not that much more- so you did good I think. But You the mom, with the teenage son why buy him the Bill Blass-the Stafford would be just as good.

They were 100% black wool- but the pants had like a black satin stripe going down the sides and if I remember correctly the jacket had a little black satin trim on the lapels too. They also had black velvet jackets with the lapels in a satin trim. I thought that may would look kind of neat the velvet jacket and the wool pants for a tux look. Whether you bought the black wool or the black velvet jacket-they were the same price. The jackets were 69.99 and the pants 29.99.

I know too, that you get an extra $15 off at Penneys today on a $75 purchase so this would be a god time to buy that. I guess I could take in our receipt from Wed. night and get some money back but I am not going to worry about it-too much trouble-as I know the mall will be horrible today (a Friday) and really $15 won't buy us a meal at Mac Donalds anymore-if I had known though we would have waited on buying the stuff for hubby I guess. He did get the last large in the leather blazer though- so if we had waited I am sure we would not have got to buy that.

Now as I said before the cumberbund,tie and shirt were a separate package-since hubby was not interested- I did not inquire after the price of that.

It would do no good for me to buy it for hubby as a gift-he would be stubborn enough not to wear it. He did promise me though if we do an european cruise for our 25th anniversary-he would rent a tux on ship for formal nights. I will have to be satisfied with that promise. Even though he is stubborn if he promises something-he will do it.

I have read on the boards that more men wear tuxes on the european cruises. Hubby just wants not to stand out in the crowd-he says only a few men wear tuxes so he does not want to.

I did feel too those suits at Parisan were a great price-I am sure if you put the two suits side by side the Parisan ones would look more expensive-even if it was a wool blend and not wool like the Stafford one. I may get hubby one of those suits later-they had some in his size in tan, light grey and green-we just wanted a dark colored suit for cruises. We have a cruise coming up in Feb. and hubby was tired of wearing his charcoal grey pinstriped one.

I got hubby a nice black 3pc. suit from there (JC Penny) for our anniversary in Feb. It was also on sale. Got the Jacket, Pants, and vest plus a bow tie for $140. They also did the alterations with no extra charge. What we did for our cruise (and will do for our upcoming cruise) is put a white shirt with the three pc. suit and the bow tie and it looked like he had a tux on. In fact, the couple at our table thought it was a tux. We also looked at the tux's but decided hubby would get more use out of the suit. Just leave off the vest and bow tie, pair it up with a different color shirt and a tie and it looks totally different.

I agree, sometimes you just can't justify spending the extra money on something you'll rarely use. In our case, the only time hubby would wear a black suit or tux would be on a cruise. Our lifestyle at home is very casual (we both work from home). His old black suit which worked fine for all of our previous cruises, had started looking a little old, so we sprung for the tux instead of just replacing the black suit. Only place he'd normally wear a black suit but not a tux would be a funeral, and we're hoping not to have too many of those in the near future!

My husband only owns one suit! He dresses casual for work so it is his "wedding/funeral/job interview" multi-purpose suit. Also comes in handy for cruising... His mom bought it for him after his college graduation in 1995!!!! LOL - good thing he has a great metabolism.....

I know, I know, time to go shopping!!

If you have Marshalls or Burlington Coat Factory in your area you should definetly check those places out. I got a Michael Kors Suit for $150 at Marshalls.

Burlington Coat Factory has been advertizing "famous brand name suits" for $150 here. I would love to get hubby to go there- but the nearest store to us is 30 miles away-hubby hates shopping-I did good to get him to go 3 miles to the local mall. We also went to the Men's Wearhouse store but they also had no navy suits in his size and he wanted a navy suit.

Like the one post whose husband rarely needs a suit-that is hubby-he has like 6 though-I guess 7 with this last one we bought-he used to wear suits to work-he is a networking engineer-but the dress codes has relaxed in the last few years-so it has been casual- and recently-since his company went bankrupt-they are now allowing jeans every day- it used to be a Friday thing or a few times when they were raising momey for something-for ex. a co-worker had a child dying of cancer-they could pay $5 to wear jeans-but now it is every day.

So hubby does not need any suits-but he was sick of only wearing his charcoal grey suit every cruise-all his other suits were just medium shades-that is why we bought him a new suit.

Although this has nothing to do with a cruise. A couple months ago a co worker of mine got a promotion. He didn't own any suits. He bragged to me how he had to spend over $500 for a suit, to look good for his new position. I told him he should of took that $500 and went to Burlington Coat Factory or some other store that sells suits for $150 or s, and purchase several different styles. I said that if you only own one suit and only wear that "one" suit everyone will notice "you only wear one suit" I think A guy who has to wear a suit should have several in his closet. I don't think anyone will know that a suit is $150 or $500. He disagreed with me saying a "good quality" suit will open more doors.

The tux at JCP is $99. It was on Good Morning America a couple weeks ago and the hosts thought it looked better than the $1000 designer one. you can get a set of shirt, tie, & "crumb catcher" for $29.99 i think, and a shoes and shirt set is also $29.99. A man in line in front of me yesterday bought all three items, the tux, shoes/shirt and shirt/tie for like $159. He said he oculd rent a tux for that but why bother wearing used clothes.

(ok so maybe I work for a fine "french" retailer jacques penn-ay but hey, I know a deal when I see one!!!

Although this has nothing to do with a cruise. A couple months ago a co worker of mine got a promotion. He didn't own any suits. He bragged to me how he had to spend over $500 for a suit, to look good for his new position. I told him he should of took that $500 and went to Burlington Coat Factory or some other store that sells suits for $150 or s, and purchase several different styles. I said that if you only own one suit and only wear that "one" suit everyone will notice "you only wear one suit" I think A guy who has to wear a suit should have several in his closet. I don't think anyone will know that a suit is $150 or $500. He disagreed with me saying a "good quality" suit will open more doors.

I agree with you that if he has to wear a suit daily, or almost daily, he needs more than one.

However, I agree with him that a high quality suit creates a different aura and puts him on another level corporately. It's a well known career enhancer to dress to the position you aspire to and of course, once you get there, take it up a notch. Although, "bragging" about it's price in the office doesn't gain admiration - the guy in the $1000. suit looks down on him and the guy in the $150. suit resents him. Not a smart career move.

This is not to flame anyone here who's purchased suits or tuxes for their cruises in the $100. range. I can certainly understand why someone might would do that. But, in the corporate world the rules are very different.

Jane

It may be he only needs to wear that suit for meetings and not on a daily basis. More and more in the excutive world no longer dress in suits every day.

I remember 20 years ago when hubby was a lowly computer repairman-he had to wear suits evry day-and he ruined quite a few getting grease on them- as we all know a computer repairman is basially a mechanic for computers-but because the work was in office settings-hubby was required to wear suits-then he went back to school and got more training in the software side of computers-and "went up in the world"-so to speak.

I was really glad too-as he had destroyed many a suit and white shirt working on computers and it wasn't like he was given a clothing allowance either back then.

Then over the years the dress code has relaxed-he no longer wears suits unless it is a special meeting at work.

I agree though for a newly promoted man to spend all that money on a suit-it would be better if he hit a happy medium-you know-maybe something better then the $150 suit at Penney's-but heck-those suits at Parisan that were $250-300 looked very good quality-every bit as good as the $500 suits-as that is what they were-they were just on sale.

But he was probally really excited about his promotion, probally making a lot more money and could afford the $500 for a suit. So probally no big deal for him to spend $500.

Archived