Barcelona FAQ

fmax

We spent over an hour on one of the tourist buses (open top) i May 2005 and practically fried - very hot, no shade, noisy, lots of fumes, etc. And while there are occasional highlight, too much of the routes are along anonymous city boulevards.

We also used the metro, and that was excellent - fast, clean, cheap, and goes to all the important places. The automatic ticket machines work in four or five languages, you just have to select the language you want to use at the beginning. Here's a tip for americans: english language is available on these machines if you select the British flag symbol.

• 2 months later...

fmax, your FAQ threads are a terrific idea and very helpful to future Med cruisers. However, please note that you cannot recommend private tour companies unless a poster specifically asks for the information. Also, please do not bump these threads. Posts made solely to bump will be removed.

We are planning to book RCCL transatlantic for 2007 when they open bookings on the 20th. No problem for us getting handicapped stateroom. Can anyone tell us if they prefer a particuliar Barcelona hotel for people in wheelchairs? slow walkers?

getting excited about the planning, just hope we can get to see some of the spectacular Spanish sites.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for starting this thread. It is real nice to share info and help all in one place. Even though I've not been a CC member for a long time, I have gained a wealth of info here. I also like to help when I can. For those of you that may be interested in something different for accomadations, we found that our apartment rental was great and inexpensive for 3 of us. www.homeinbarcelona.com The owner and his asst. were terrific. He has apartments placed all over the city and we truly felt right at home. We stayed right at Placa Reial near the middle to bottom side of the Ramblas. You could walk to the subway or the Barri Gotic from here in a few minutes. We are visiting again this year and are very excited to be returning to this wonderful city. Happy travels to all. Andros/Tony

We caught a cab from our apartment to the pier for about 15 euros if I remember right. This included the fee to enter the port I believe. Don't see why it would be any more going the opposite way. It is always a good idea to ask about how much and go from there. As long as they don't quote you a ridiculous price, I'd go for it. We could have walked there from the apartment, but it was raining that morning. We didn't want to melt:eek: ! LOL! Have a great time! Andros/Tony

P.S.- Sorry, you shouldn't have a problem catching a cab anywhere in this city. There are cabs everywhere you look. You could reserve one, but probably not necessary.

Thanks Andros

I saw another message that said the taxi's are lined up at the pier and the fee to Las Ramblas is about 15E.

Our cruise leaves next week and I'll be in Barcelona on June 6 or so.

Thanks to all!

• 2 weeks later...

A reminder for anyone travelling around 24th Sept, if possible spend some extra time in Barcelona. this is when the Le Merce festival takes places and there's lots of impomptu parades taking place.

La Mercè festival: This is the festival for Barcelona's patron saint, held in the week of the 24 September, the day of La Mercè. All kinds of activities are organized, for all tastes and all ages. Of particular interest is the "correfoc" (fire-breathing dragons from all over Catalonia), and the pyrotechnical music show (fireworks and classical music next to the Montjuïc fountains).

Here's an article on it

http://ezinearticles.com/?La-Merc%C3%A9-Festival---Barcelona&id=76124

Last year we saw a couple of parades that came down Las Ramblas. And the “Correfoc” (the “Fire Run”) was amazing - this is where costumed fire-breathing devils rampage around the streets in a colourful pyrotechnic display. Unfortunately we missed the major Giants parade as this took place on the Saturday which was when our ship sailed. We wanted to get down to the ship early because we knew they would close Las Ramblas off for part of the day to accommodate the parade and our hotel was right on Las Ramblas.

Frances

• 2 weeks later...

I'm subscribed to a barcelona email newsletter and the following are some links in the recent edition.

Guide to barcelona neighbourhoods

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/areas/barcelona-barrios-guide.html

Some restaurant reviews

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/restaurants/reviews/23-restaurant.html

Some Summer events

Events To Look Out For This Summer 2006 In Barcelona

Sant Joan Festival: Night of 23rd June , day of 24th June

The first main event is the festival of Sant Joan (John the Baptist) which is on the night of the 23rd and day of the 24th June. The celebration is also linked with the summer solstice. This celebration is an important one in Barcelona and worth a visit if you like fireworks and loud bangers and firecrackers.

The main area to see the fireworks display will be the Forum area. However we recommend that you a visit to the tourist information at Placa Catalunya square to find out where exactly the firework displays will be on the day because it has been know for planned events to change at short notice.

At the moment the main fireworks display venue is scheduled to be in the Forum area. There will also be celebrations going on at Barceloneta beach where groups of people go to sit on the beach, chat, drink and socialize the night away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Barcelona GREC Art Festival - Theatre, Dance and Music

From the 25th June until the 5th August Barcelona will host the BCN GREC Festival which is the Theatre, Music and Dance Festival in

Barcelona. This event attracts many tourists interested in the arts and is a highlight event for the performing arts in the city. The theatre performances will be in Spanish so unless you speak the language you may not be able to full appreciate the theatre productions however there are dance and music events that you can attend and these transcending the language barrier. The best place to find out more about this event is to visit the BCN GREC Festival website. The link is given below:

Info on Barcelona Apartment Rental

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/apartments/barcelona-apartment-rental.html

Link to back issues of the newsletter with lots of useful info

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/membership-area/newsletter-back-issues/

Frances

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have some contact information for Angie at taxi internacional? I cannot get to her.

Thanks,

Karen

Queenk2@aol.com

We used her service from the cruise ship to our hotel and then from hotel to airport the next day. She was on time, no problems. Would highly recommend.

angietaxi33@yahoo.com

We are sailing on the Jewel on 7/30 and are getting in fairly early in the morning and would like to spend some time sightseeing in Barcelona. My family of five would like to visit La Ramblas, Sagrada Familia and Park Guel. Since I have no idea where anything is, can someone tell me the order of things we should visit. Will 5 people fit in one taxi? Can we walk to the next destination or are these sights too far apart and will we have to take additional taxis? Your help is greatly appreciated and we are open to other sightseeing suggestions too. Thanks.

Even though we missed the Sagrada and Parc Guell last year, I have done a lot of research for Barcelona. It is to my understanding that the Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell are fairly close to each other. On my hand held street map, Parc Guell is just outside the central city area of the main downtown area. From The Sagrada it is about 6000 feet by the legend. My suggestion is to use public transportation. You can take a cab, but don't know that five people would fit. From what I remeber, the cabs were fairly small, but they may have some that are mini vans;just not sure. You could get a day pass for the subway that would cover the subway and buses for unlimited use. I would either start at Parc Guell and go onto Sagrada Familia or the other way around(Sagrada to Parc Guell). Then you can make your way to the Ramblas which is closer to the port. We missed most everything we wanted to do there do to our trip out to Montserrat. Also, you can look at my homepage(link in signature) where I have a bunch of information on Barcelona and things to do there. Also, a section of links to get even further information on the web. Hope this helps and you guys have a wonderful time there. It truly is a wonderful city with much to see and do. I can't wait for November to get here so we can return. Andros/Tony

Archived