Pisa/ Florence FAQ

Saw a posting on the Princess thread which might be worth duplicating. Have a posting for each of the ports where people can post tips and answers to most often asked questions and it can be the first place to look.

I think the idea was that people didn't ask questions in the thread it was purely for posting useful information. And if the information couldn't be found there, they could start their own new thread, or search the boards This way the link doesn't get hijacked and become irrelevant.

So here goes

It's recommended you reserve your ticket online however, if you're there first thing in the morning there is the possibility of purchasing a ticket

Fitness Level: I'm far from fit and although it was hard going initially, it does get easier.

Times: April to Sept

Leaning Tower:

8.30 - 20.30 (until 13/6 and from 05/09 until 30/09)

8.30 - 23.00 (from 14/6 until 4/9 - 16 June excluded)

Cathedral:

10.00 - 20.00

Baptistery, Monumental Cemetery, Opera Museum, Sinopie Museum:

8.00 - 20.00

City Walls:

11.00 - 14.00; 15.00 - 18.00 (from June to August)

Multimedia path:

11.00 - 13.00; 14.00 - 16.00 (closed from 28/7 until 3/8)

Cost

Leaning Tower On the spot euro 15

Purchase online euro 17

http://www.opapisa.it/index.php?id=178&L=1&T=2

Cathedral* euro 2

1 Entrance

Baptistery or Monumental Cemetery or Opera Museum

Sinopie Museum temporarily closed

euro 5

2 Entrances

Cathedral or Baptistery or Monumental Cemetery or Opera Museum

euro 6

3 Entrances

Baptistery or Monumental Cemetery or Opera Museum

euro 8

City Walls

euro 2

It's recommended to Reserve your tickets for the Accademia and Uffizzi if you're planning on visiting it. If you're using a private driver they can normally organize this for you

Accademia:

http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/en...ia/Default.asp

Statue of David:

http://www.tickitaly.com/galleries/accademia.php

Uffizi:

http://www.virtualuffizi.com/uffizi/ or http://www.polomuseale.firenze.it/english/uffizi/)

What time would you recommend trying to catch the train from Livorno to Pisa and then what would be a recommended time to reserve our tickets to climb the tower of Pisa? How long does a visit to the tower usually take if we have tickets to climb? What time should we try to aim for to catch the return train back to Livorno so as not to miss the ship? We will be there on a Monday so the museums in Florence are closed. We will have to do Florence another time?

Better yet, if we decide to use the cruise ship excursion to Pisa on the Golden Princess, what time should I try to schedule our climb up the tower so as not to miss the bus back to port?

taken from posting by Geri

"In order to get to Pisa by train you will first need to get to the “Livorno Centrale - Piazza Dante” train station in Livorno. The Princess dock is about 5 miles from the train station….and the first two miles is through the shipping dockyard, which has no sidewalks. So walking from the ship to the train is really not an option. There are only two ways to get there:

Option 1, which I did, was to get a cab for 15Euros. Just sleep later and wait until everyone wanting to go to Florence has left the ship. The cabs won’t take you any earlier and if they do they will charge you an arm & a leg. It’s very easy to explore Pisa in about 4 hours so there is no need to rush around today!

Option 2 is to take a Princess shuttle bus to Piazza Grande (Livorno city center) for a cost of US$5.00. At Piazza Grande you can take the “#1” city bus, which leaves every 10 minutes, for a cost of 1Euro. Get the ticket at the tobacco or news agent stand.

At the train station buy a round trip ticket from Livorno Centrale to Pisa Centrale for 3.40Euro. Once the train departs Livorno the very next stop (about 15 minutes ride) is Pisa. Very easy! Remember to time stamp that ticket in the yellow machine!

When you exit the train station follow the sidewalk on the left hand side about 2 blocks north and you will see a visitor information desk. Stop and pick up a map of Pisa. The walk to the leaning tower is a flat, easy walk of about 30 minutes. You can follow the main street (Corso Italia) almost all the way. As you walk along this pedestrian friendly main street there is plenty of window shopping, street vendors and gelato stands! Once at the tower you can wander the grounds free of charge."

We will be on Princess and thinking of taking the ship's tour to Florence that gives you the afternoon free. Has anyone taken this tour? I want to make a reservation to see David and don't know what would be the best time.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember to take into account that on Monday's the museums are closed.

One of the most distinctive sights is the white, pink and green marble dome of the cathedral (Duomo), Santa Maria del Fiore. The Bell Tower (campanile) was built later and the view from the top (414 stairs) is magnificent. Opposite the cathedral stands the Baptistery with its famous bronze doors.

It is free to visit the Cathedral, with a charge to visit the underground crypt (around 3 euros) and approx 6 euros to climb to the top of the Dome.

Views from Piazzale Micheangelo. From here you can see the whole of Florence at a glance, from Forte Belvedere to Santa Croce, the Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo, the Uffizi, Palazzo della Signoria and the Bargello, etc. In the centre of the square is a copy of the Statue of David.

Santa Croce Church at Piazza Santa Croce. Holds the tombs of Dante, Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Galileo, and many more

Piazza della Signoria: Amazing statues throught the square. Starting on the far left (as you're facing the Palazzo Vecchio) Giambologna's equestrian statue of Grand Duke Cosimo I. To its right is Neptune Fountain.On it's left is a a copy of Donatello's Marzocco, symbol of the city, with a Florentine lion resting his raised paw on a shield emblazoned with the city's emblem, the giglio (lily). To its right is a replica of Judith Beheading Holofernes. You also have a copy of Michelangelo's David, and Baccio Bandinelli's Heracles to name just a few. A nice place to sit and watch the world go buy.

• 3 weeks later...

We have booked the shore excursion through RCCL for a tour of Florence including a visit to the Accademia museum. I have read where there are long lines to see the statue of David. Does anyone know if we have booked through the cruise line that we will have a problem getting to see the statue of David?

• 2 weeks later...

Excerpt from Florence - Inside Out

You can prebook Forence's state museums by calling 055 294 883. The service charge for this is approx 1.55 euros in addition to the price of the admission. This enables you to avoid the queues. You pay in cash when you arrive at the venue.

Came across a posting that's probably more recent than the Florence Inside Out book that I referenced.

The # to call for reservations at Florence museums is 011-39-055-294-883. The service charge is 3 euros per ticket.

I made the reservations in Florence for Accademia and Effizi using the above number last week. Our trip is the end of May, but they took the reservations, giving us a number, without any problems. Just ask the person who answers for English. You do not have to pay anything until you go there that day. So if something changes, you are not out any money. We will do the same with Venice and the Vatican, as soon as it gets a little closer in time.

http://www.ricksteves.com

2006 Update

Florence’s biggest sightseeing news is that tickets for entry to Uffizi are now sold out up to a month in advance. Your best strategy is to get reservations for both the Uffizi (known for Renaissance paintings) and Accademia (home of Michelangelo’s David) as soon as you know when you'll be in town. Hotels are accustomed to offering this service free to guests — just request it with your room reservation. You can also book tickets directly from the Uffizi by calling 011-39-055-294-883 from the United States. Night-owls take note: the Accademia will be open and free on Tuesdays in July and August from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. Also, a new weekly magazine called The Florentine, geared for English-speaking tourists and expats, comes out on Thursdays and is free at tourist offices and hotels.

Frances

Be sure to consider how YOU want to spend the time that you have in the Florence/Pisa area. It is likely that you will be unable to see it all on one day considering the travel time from the port to Florence and surroundings. We had a wonderful day seeing Florence, visiting a small winery nearby and then to Pisa for picture taking, Basilica but no climb up the tower using Papillon services. We chose to see the statue of David with reservations and no long line and skip the Uffizzi for this trip in favor of the lovely stop at the winery. I wouldn't change anything about our day (it was my birthday) and look forward to seeing more on another trip. So...just set your own priorities and it will be a wonderful day.

If you have time while in Florence, stroll around the Leather Market. Surprisingly, it wasn't leather I bought here but a papier-mache mask.

I guess I now have to plan a cruise to Venice to get a true venetian mask next.

Frances

• 2 weeks later...
Be sure to consider how YOU want to spend the time that you have in the Florence/Pisa area. It is likely that you will be unable to see it all on one day considering the travel time from the port to Florence and surroundings. We had a wonderful day seeing Florence, visiting a small winery nearby and then to Pisa for picture taking, Basilica but no climb up the tower using Papillon services. We chose to see the statue of David with reservations and no long line and skip the Uffizzi for this trip in favor of the lovely stop at the winery. I wouldn't change anything about our day (it was my birthday) and look forward to seeing more on another trip. So...just set your own priorities and it will be a wonderful day.

This is just the trip I am looking to organize. Did you use a private tour company?? What was the name of the winery you visited??

I would love to have the contact info and to hear more details about you trip.

Thanks!

Side trip to Lucca

Restaurants that have been recommended on this board in Lucca

http://www.bucadisantantonio.com/homeing.html

www.trattoriadaleo.it

It's possible to take train from Livorno to Lucca and from Lucca to Pisa. Excerpt from posting by 2forthesea

"To reach Lucca, first take the train from Livorno to Pisa Centrale. The train to Lucca is on a separate and much smaller rail line that originates at the Pisa Centrale station. The Lucca trains runs to and from Pisa Centrale about every 30-40 minutes. The trip to Lucca takes about 30 minutes from Pisa Centrale and costs about 4€ round-trip. The Lucca train station is across the street from the main gate to the walled city, so no taxis, buses, or shuttles from the station to Lucca are necessary. Cost is about 6 Euros each, one way.

On this smaller train line from Pisa Central to Lucca, there is also a second and not so well-known Pisa train station called Pisa San Rossore. This station makes a visit to the Leaning Tower a very easy and no-cost addition to your day at Lucca. The Pisa S. Rossori station is a very short walk (just a few blocks) from the Leaning Tower, thus eliminating the need for a cab to get to and from the Leaning Tower.

You can make the stop at Pisa S. Rossori as part of your round-trip Lucca ticket fare. Just get off and on the train at Pisa S. Rossori either on your way to or on the return from Lucca. When departing from the Pisa Centrale station, the Pisa S. Rossori station will be the first stop and about 5 minutes from Pisa Centrale. When returning from Lucca, the Pisa S. Rossori station will be the second stop and about 20 minutes from Lucca."

Additional thread on Lucca: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=165339&highlight=lucca

To see Florence and Pisa in one day is probably too much... lots of time spent traveling between instead of really experiencing what you are there for.

I didn't think Pisa was as nice as Florence. Aside from the leaning tower, there isn't much there that is worth seeing over seeing Florence. For this reason I'd go to Florence only. The Duomo is beautiful, the Accademia and Uffizi both impressive, and my favorite is just wandering the streets eating gelato and experiencing the culture. Be sure to visit the famous bridge (can't remember what its called) with expensive jewelry shops right on the bridge. Very fun browsing.

• 3 months later...

Archived