Pisa/ Florence FAQ

You will LOVE walking around Florence. It really is a managable city. Get a "Streetwise" map of Florence at your local bookstore. I got mine at Barnes and Noble and it has most of the streets listed on it. Once you get to the train station in Florence (if you take the train in...) it is a very easy walk from the train station into the center of town. The Duomo and the Babtistry are all right there together. From there it is an easy walk to the Ponte Vecchio (the famous bridge where all the jewelry stores are). Just wandering around the city is the BEST. If you want to go to a museum, both of the popular ones are listed on the map and they are right there in town also. It is a great city and absolutely do-able on your own.

Hope that helps:)

• 1 month later...

some pre-cruise movies to watch that are set in or using tuscany.

A Room With A View - Florence

The English Patient - Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano

Where Angels Fear to Tread

Romeo and Juliet - Pienza

Summer's Lease

Tea With Mussolini - San Gimignano

Much Ado about nothing

Enchanted April

Bread and Tulips

Under the Tuscan Sun

Frances

some pre-cruise movies to watch that are set in or using tuscany.

'Under the Tuscan Sun' - Cortona, Siena, Montepulciano

'It's a Beautiful Life' - Arezzo

Arezzo is Roberto Benigni's hometown. There are still pictures and text at all the locations where the film was shot in Arezzo.

Be sure to consider how YOU want to spend the time that you have in the Florence/Pisa area. It is likely that you will be unable to see it all on one day considering the travel time from the port to Florence and surroundings. We had a wonderful day seeing Florence, visiting a small winery nearby and then to Pisa for picture taking, Basilica but no climb up the tower using Papillon services. We chose to see the statue of David with reservations and no long line and skip the Uffizzi for this trip in favor of the lovely stop at the winery. I wouldn't change anything about our day (it was my birthday) and look forward to seeing more on another trip. So...just set your own priorities and it will be a wonderful day.

Did you do these tours on your own? Sounds like the type that we would like. Any recommendations? We are on the 10/6 Celebrity Galaxy.

• 2 months later...

We felt we could do Florence on our own, so we just hired a "taxi" driver to take us to and from. The cost of the taxi, at our disposal all day, was 320 euros..about 53 euro per person (there was 6 of us). Cheaper than the ships “Florence on your own” that we had considered, and this way we did not have to have the Bathroom stops etc that you have when you are with a large group, so that saved us some time. We used Tuscany by Taxi and were very pleased. booking@tuscanybytaxi.it

We were picked up at the dock, we stopped in Pisa for a quick look (did not climb) on the way to Florence. It was great in Pisa, very early so NO crowds at all, wandered around, took some pictures, used a very clean restroom, then got back in the taxi for our ride to Florence. He took us first to Michelangelo Square for a breathtaking view of the city and a look at our first “David”, in the Square (he’s one of the fakes). We had reservations for early morning to see David, so that's where he dropped us off. He picked us up at the end of the day at the Santa Crocein Church. We had done some research on Florence, so had very little trouble getting around. Had a great lunch somewhere??? We had made reservations at the Uffizi as well, but had very little time there. The number to make the reservations at the two museums is 011 39 055 294883. Then you pay when you get there. You MUST make reservations or you will spend all your time on line.

In fact, the centre of Florence is banned to traffic (other than buses and other service vehicles) so you have to walk around. It's just great. Do a bit of research in advance and you won't need a guide. You will be better able to go where the whim takes you.

This is heresy but I'll say it anyway, if you only have a day, forget Uffizzi. If you are an art lover, you'll need a week. If not, you'll be bored within 20 minutes and why did I spend all that time and money getting here? Room after room of ancient paintings of Madonna and Child. That's all they ever did back then. There, I've said it.

Line up, pay up and climb to the top of the Duomo. What an experience! As is anything to eat or drink. Hey, this is Italy!

Doug, you are so right about the Effizi. Unless you spend the day in there (or a few days), and have a reasonably good knowledge of art, I think your time would be much better spend wandering around and enjoying Florence. But seeing David was awesome, hard to describe in words.

If not, you'll be bored within 20 minutes and why did I spend all that time and money getting here? Room after room of ancient paintings of Madonna and Child. That's all they ever did back then. There, I've said it.

Line up, pay up and climb to the top of the Duomo. What an experience! As is anything to eat or drink. Hey, this is Italy!

Thanks for letting me know. DH & I like art but I don't want to be on overload before we even get to the ship. Am crossing it off my list of things to do :)

• 3 months later...

I thought it was about time to add to this thread and get it back to the front given the fact we've probably got a lot of new cruisers onboard.

So here's a link to the Europe Port Reviews site with an article on Villefranche along with some photos. i

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Villefranche.htm

Frances

I thought it was about time to add to this thread and get it back to the front given the fact we've probably got a lot of new cruisers onboard.

So here's a link to the Europe Port Reviews site with an article on Villefranche along with some photos. i

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Villefranche.htm

Frances

Wonderfull idea and very thoughtful too. Can you tell me how far away the train station is from the Royal caribbean dock. Is it much the same distance as the Princess one. Thanks for your help.

Ignore last message - I seem to be getting a mental block on Pisa/florence and am posting on Villefranche!!!!

Here's info for docking at Livorno. From what I've read, most that did it on their own have taken a cab from the port to the train station. Here's link to Luv to travel's report

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=130319&highlight=livorno+train+station

Frances

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know a taxi service that can take us from the port to Florence' date=' and then take us back to the ship at the end of the day. We would like to tour Florence on our own.

Thank you.

Cruzin'd[/quote']

We are using Tuscany by Taxi but then there are four of us to divide the cost. Royal Caribbean does a Tour to Florence on your own where they take you to Florence in the morning and then bring you back late afternoon. Most of the cruise companies will do a tour on your own. Here is the link to Tuscany by taxi http://www.tuscanybytaxi.it/ and e mail address booking@tuscanybytaxi.it We found them very easy to deal with and it normally only took them 48hours to come back to us by e mail

Hi,

If we purchase round trip train tickets to from Livorno to Florence, can we just hop off in Pisa either going to or returning from Florence or do we need to buy separate tickets, Livorno to FLorence, Florence to Pisa and Pisa to Livorno? Also, does anyone know if in Pisa you can get off on more than one stop? I heard there is a train stop that puts you off very close to the Leaning Tower so you don't need a taxi or bus to get there. We are travelling with two children ages 5 and 8 and trying to cut down on the walking.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
We are using Tuscany by Taxi but then there are four of us to divide the cost. Royal Caribbean does a Tour to Florence on your own where they take you to Florence in the morning and then bring you back late afternoon. Most of the cruise companies will do a tour on your own. Here is the link to Tuscany by taxi http://www.tuscanybytaxi.it/ and e mail address booking@tuscanybytaxi.it We found them very easy to deal with and it normally only took them 48hours to come back to us by e mail

I was wondering how much this cost. We're on the same cruise as you and my family of 4 is looking to book a similar thing as frankly I will not take the cruise line arranged tours!

• 10 months later...

We were in Rome last summer and booked the Scavi tour directly with the Vatican. Only 15 persons at a time admitted down there, with a 125 person limit each day. takes you to the Roman necropolis of the time when St Peter was crucified upside down, shows the place where his remains are supposedly buried. Also, when tour is over, you are on the same level as where popes are buried, and you skip ALL the long lines and walk right into the basilica! You need to google "Scavi tour" for more info. I ended up calling the Vatican directly to book. They will send a faxed reply. It's a tour that I felt was worth the trouble to book.

Archived