Our Epic European Adventure: A Review

PaulInPGH

After heading back to our cabin to get cleaned up, we ventured to Cagney’s for our 5:30 dinner reservation. We took advantage of our free dinner certificate and ate like kings. Between the two of us, we ordered the crab cake, shrimp cocktail, wedge salad, two porterhouses with truffle fries, mac and cheese, creamed spinach, and sautéed mushrooms. That was followed by a brownie and apple tart with some espresso. It was a hell of a meal.

The only negative was the mystery of the port wine reduction. On our last cruise on the Dawn, I ordered the port wine reduction, and I was given this amazingly savory beef au jus. I was really looking forward to having that again, but when I ordered the same thing on this cruise, it tasted completely different. It tasted more like, well, a port wine reduction—mostly sweet, with a hint of wine. I still have no idea what happened—did they give me something completely different on the Dawn, did they mess up when cooking it this time around—and I guess it will remain a mystery.

After our epic meal, we downed a couple martinis at Shakers and just enjoyed relaxing after a long day. We eventually made it over to the Cavern Club to enjoy some Latin music by Havana Tropical. Like almost all the entertainment onboard, they were absolutely top-notch. Even though we didn’t dance, we enjoyed watching others let loose on the dance floor while we consumed a few more drinks before bed.

Up next: a Level 1 day in Palma.

Paul, Excellent review, We were on the Epic in Feb 2016. I had a question on Uber in Rome. Easy to use ? any problems? We use Uber in Chicago and thought of using it in Rome in late November and in Barcelona before our Canary Island cruise on the Spirit. Thanks in advance Flip

Paul, Excellent review, We were on the Epic in Feb 2016. I had a question on Uber in Rome. Easy to use ? any problems? We use Uber in Chicago and thought of using it in Rome in late November and in Barcelona before our Canary Island cruise on the Spirit. Thanks in advance Flip

We had no problems using it in Rome, though I will say that it is slightly more expensive than it is in the U.S. There's no pool option, and not just anyone can be an Uber driver like they can here. The drivers are all licensed, so the service is more similar to ordering an Uber Black rather than the less expensive X.

That said, the difference in price wasn't really a big deal. We might have paid 12 or 13 Euros in a situation where the taxi would have been 8-10 Euros, but we enjoyed the convenience, as well as the ability to pay with our credit card rather than dipping in to our cash. We had international calling on our cell phones, so we did end up calling for a taxi once or twice as well, and that was also perfectly fine, so you definitely have options.

Cheers.

Following the thread with great interest as these are all places we have visited on our independent travels.

I've seen many postings over the years from Americans coming to Europe andworried about pickpockets. Two come to mind, one from somebody visiting Naples scared they would be mugged between getting off the coach and the entrance to the hotel, and another wnating to know if her husband's concealed carry permit was valid in Europe. We've travelled extensively and independently for many years around Europe through the main tourist destinations. The only time we've had any experience of an attempted theft was on a bus in Tunisia when somebody tried to slip their hand into my wife's bag. When she felt it and looked up he walked calmly to the back of the bus and got off at the next stop.

Be aware, the same as you might in any US city. Best not to wear baseball caps, clothing with the ship's logo or anything else that makes you stand out as an obvious tourist. No flashy jewellery. Don't leave your wallet in your back pocket and hang on tightly to your handbag.

I'm glad you have been so fortunate, but I think it is very wise to be ultra aware of pickpockets in Italy. They are widespread and very clever, and you should always be aware of your surroundings. Your suggestions of how not to stand out are very wise, but unfortunately the minute we open our mouths we stand out as tourists, unless, of course, you are fluent in Italian.

I had my I-phone stolen in Naples in May on the metro. I had it in a zipped bag which was strapped across my front and which I had my hand on all the time - or so I thought. Unfortunately it was stolen as we stepped off the train and I guess my attention was momentarily distracted as we left the carriage.

Despite this experience, and being fully aware of the dangers of theft in Italy, in September I had my handbag and all its contents stolen on a bus in Mestre, the pretty little town near Venice, which was not crowded or full of tourists. It's a long story but thankfully I was lucky enough to get my handbag and phone back, mainly due to the fast action of my son, and Apple's 'find my phone' app. All I lost was some euros and my confidence.

From then onwards I locked my handbag with a padlock with a 4 digit code and kept it firmly in my grasp.

We thought we had taken all precautions, but as far as Italian thieves are concerned they have it down to a fine art - though they are probably more likely to be of Eastern European descent (Romanian, etc).

So DO be aware. However much you try to blend in with the locals, Americans in particular, tend to dress differently from Italians, and of course the language is a dead give-away. Ladies, if you have a handbag try to lock the zip in some way, as that will be a deterrent. I, for one, would avoid the metro like the plague in Naples, and I am now very uneasy in public places, especially public transport. A case of once bitten twice shy, or should I say twice bitten!

I'm glad you have been so fortunate, but I think it is very wise to be ultra aware of pickpockets in Italy. They are widespread and very clever, and you should always be aware of your surroundings. Your suggestions of how not to stand out are very wise, but unfortunately the minute we open our mouths we stand out as tourists, unless, of course, you are fluent in Italian.

I had my I-phone stolen in Naples in May on the metro. I had it in a zipped bag which was strapped across my front and which I had my hand on all the time - or so I thought. Unfortunately it was stolen as we stepped off the train and I guess my attention was momentarily distracted as we left the carriage.

Despite this experience, and being fully aware of the dangers of theft in Italy, in September I had my handbag and all its contents stolen on a bus in Mestre, the pretty little town near Venice, which was not crowded or full of tourists. It's a long story but thankfully I was lucky enough to get my handbag and phone back, mainly due to the fast action of my son, and Apple's 'find my phone' app. All I lost was some euros and my confidence.

From then onwards I locked my handbag with a padlock with a 4 digit code and kept it firmly in my grasp.

We thought we had taken all precautions, but as far as Italian thieves are concerned they have it down to a fine art - though they are probably more likely to be of Eastern European descent (Romanian, etc).

So DO be aware. However much you try to blend in with the locals, Americans in particular, tend to dress differently from Italians, and of course the language is a dead give-away. Ladies, if you have a handbag try to lock the zip in some way, as that will be a deterrent. I, for one, would avoid the metro like the plague in Naples, and I am now very uneasy in public places, especially public transport. A case of once bitten twice shy, or should I say twice bitten!

Ellie - I’m so sorry to hear this happened to you. It can really change your vacation experience:(. I was just in the Mediterranean in September and I was very on edge with the rampant pickpocketing, especially in Rome and Barcelona. I carried a cross body purse with locking zippers and still wasn’t comfortable. I think the best approach as you suggested is to not take any public transportation if at all possible, as that seems to be where the highest percentage of theft occurs. We heard several stories from people on our cruise that had been victims of this, and all the incidents occurred on public transportation. Be very aware everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Paul, enjoying your review. We are thinking of booking a Med cruise in 2019 so you are definately helping.

Thank you.

Glad I could be of some help! I'm currently considering options for 2019 myself. Haven't looked at specific itineraries yet, but strongly considering doing a cruise out of Venice and hitting some of the Eastern Med ports. Also thinking about dipping our toes in the world of river cruising, which looks really interesting.

We had no problems using it in Rome, though I will say that it is slightly more expensive than it is in the U.S. There's no pool option, and not just anyone can be an Uber driver like they can here. The drivers are all licensed, so the service is more similar to ordering an Uber Black rather than the less expensive X.

That said, the difference in price wasn't really a big deal. We might have paid 12 or 13 Euros in a situation where the taxi would have been 8-10 Euros, but we enjoyed the convenience, as well as the ability to pay with our credit card rather than dipping in to our cash. We had international calling on our cell phones, so we did end up calling for a taxi once or twice as well, and that was also perfectly fine, so you definitely have options.

Cheers.

Thanks Paul Again Excellent review flip

Day 8: A Restful Day in Spain

Our port stop in Palma was an afternoon stop. This meant we finally had a chance to catch up on our sleep, and we definitely took advantage. The only negative about sleeping until 10:00 was the end of our private omelet station at Garden Café—it was packed. Nevertheless, I’ll take the crowds in exchange for extra sleep any day of the week.

Since we weren’t due to meet for our excursion until 1:45, we had a few hours to kill. We took advantage of the down time and just relaxed and read. First we tried the library, but people were being a little noisy, so we ended up just reading in our cabin.

Our tour of Palma and Valldemossa was just as relaxing as we’d hoped. The tour started with a short drive around Palma, with a stop for some scenic photos along the way. We then drove up through the mountains, which was very picturesque, on our way to the quaint town of Valldemossa.

We had some free time in Valldemossa, and we spent it in typical fashion: enjoying some classic Spanish dishes at a sidewalk café. We ordered a couple of bocadillos—tasty Spanish ham and cheese sandwiches—and we split some delicious paella. The food was delicious, and accompanied with some Spanish beer and sangria, it made for a wonderful afternoon.

Since our meal in Valldemossa was at about 5:00, we were certainly not hungry when we made it back aboard the ship. After heading back to our cabin to shower and get cleaned up, we once again wandered the ship, enjoying drinks at various locations along the way.

Because we’d enjoyed the rock band so much our first night onboard, we made an effort to check them out again several more times throughout the trip. They were again rocking out in the Cavern Club on this particular night, and we spent a very enjoyable couple hours listening to them play and consuming my new favorite NCL drink, the Getaway. It’s a delicious combination of rum, yuzu, sparkling wine, St. Germain Elderflower liqueur, and mint. It’s like an even more delicious mojito.

Eventually, our hunger resurfaced. We made our way over to O’Sheehan’s for some late-night wings before heading back to our cabin for some slumber.

Up next: a festive day in Barcelona.

Day 9: A Too Brief Visit in Barcelona

Of all the cities we visited on this trip, Barcelona is near the top of our list of places we’d like to revisit. Stopping in such a great city for only one day didn’t do it justice, but it did wet our appetite for more.

We booked a half-day tour of Barcelona with Barcelona Day Tours, and they were absolutely wonderful. During the planning stages they were extremely helpful and responsive via email, and the tour they provided was a real first-rate experience.

Our group of 12 set off at 8:00, first making a stop for a photo opportunity of Barcelona from on-high. We then stopped outside the MNAC Museum—Barcelona’s art museum—but we didn’t have time to go in on this tour. The outside of the building was impressive on its own, and there were more great views of the city.

Next, we drove over to the newer, more modern part of Barcelona to see some of Gaudi’s buildings. We enjoyed a nice leisurely stroll, while listening to our incredibly knowledgeable tour guide fill us in on the works of Gaudi and Barcelona history.

Up next was an hour-long tour of Park Guell. This is the residential neighborhood designed by Gaudi, but which only ended up selling one out of sixty-six residences. This is a must-stop for architecture lovers, but as with many places we experienced in Europe, be ready for lots and lots of stairs.

Our last stop was La Sagrada Familia. Again, this tour was too short to include going inside, but it was spectacular even from the outside. We will absolutely be going inside when we next visit Barcelona—just one more reason to get back there soon.