Our Epic European Adventure: A Review

PaulInPGH

Going back to the Palma port of call, I've not heard of the Caves of Ham. However, there is a great trip to the caves of Drach, well worth doing if the opportunity arises. I've been there a copuple of times ove rhte years during independent holidays in Majorca.

One great thing about Barcelona Day Tours was they offered to drop people off either back at the ship or elsewhere in town if you so chose. A number of our tour group had tickets to go inside La Sagrada Familia, so we bid them farewell and made our way back toward the port.

Because we had a good five hours before we needed to be back on the ship, we decided to walk a bit around the city and grab some lunch. We asked our tour guide for a lunch recommendation, and he came through big time. We were dropped off at Placa Catalunya, and we intended to take a stroll down the famed Las Ramblas—eventually making our way to the Gothic Quarter for lunch.

The scene on Las Ramblas that afternoon was really quite something, as we were in town for the La Merce Festival—Barcelona’s largest festival day of the year. The streets were crowded (even more than usual), and there were even parades. We were right in the middle of things, which was definitely a fun experience.

At one point we did get stuck waiting for a parade to cross Las Ramblas. There were people in costumes, kids dancing, and marching bands—and they were all blocking our path forward (both to our intended lunch destination and back to the ship). After waiting it out for a good 20 minutes, we eventually made a break for it. We shot through a small gap, barely making it to the other side. Luckily, that was the last parade we encountered.

The only problem with the restaurant our guide recommended was finding the place; the directions he gave were nearly incomprehensible. We knew enough to turn left after we passed the La Boqueria Market, but everything beyond that point was a mystery. Incredibly, our amazing sense of direction (sheer luck) brought us directly to the correct restaurant!

Our guide recommended Can Culleretes, which, started back in 1786, is Barcelona’s oldest restaurant. We arrived just as lunch service was about to start, and people were already lining up outside waiting to get in. Thankfully, we showed up just at the right time and were able to grab a table for two.

We then proceeded to absolutely feast on some unbelievable Spanish classics. We shared jamon Iberico, pan con tomate, grilled squid, gambas al ajillo (delicious grilled garlic shrimp), and paella. The jamon was the standout, and it truly makes all other ham pale by comparison. It was very savory, but also somewhat earthy and nutty—almost like eating really good cheese. Of the many, many things we consumed on this trip, this ham was probably my favorite.

After tying on that epic feedbag, we returned to Las Ramblas and (slowly) ambled our way back toward the ship. With one of the best tours of the trip, plus a truly memorable meal, Barcelona became one of our favorite stops. We are very eager to return, and not just for the ham (though that is a major factor).

This was the warmest day of the trip, with temps near 80, so the first thing we did upon our return to the ship was shower and change. We then spent a quiet couple hours just relaxing in our cabin, both napping and reading. Eventually, my wife decided to grab a small bite to eat, but I was feeling full and sleepy, so she headed off to the Garden Café on her own for a snack.

By the time she returned, I had a little more energy, so we headed out in search of a drink. There wasn’t any particular entertainment we wanted to catch that night, so we ended up enjoying some frozen drinks outdoors at Spice H2O. This was one of the few nights it wasn’t too cold to sit outside, so we enjoyed a few beverages under the stars before heading back to our cabin for some sleep.

Up next: pure relaxation.