New York Winter Break -- unruly kids?

meaning no disrespect, i understand the point of the op in that when you put several thousand individuals into a confined environment, a good chunk of them kids under the age of 18, there's a good chance a percentage of them will act up.

That said, my wife and i have experienced more situations where it's the adults who are behaving bad rather than the kids ... We're talking fall down drunk, obnoxious, self-entitled, and narcissistic as if the whole cruise revolves around them.

Michael

this ^^^

We cruised the Explorer every year while it was in Bayonne. We always cruised the early part of December. We had more trouble with a large group of adults that were on the cruise at the same time every year. They were very rude, butting in front of people wherever there was a line forming. Especially at the elevators and Windjammer. They were far worse than kids. I think I could handle kids more than adults, who should know better.

Gwen [emoji3]

Explorer

was our very first cruise, we saw some children but we were like you more put off by the adults, fighting over contests(almost fisty cuffs) pushing into the already stuffed elevators, or worse not getting people off before getting on. that was a huge issue for me with a fractured ankle and unable to use stairs tho I tried. ( we were so new we didn't know about insurance and the cruise was a surprise for xmas with going in a month) then there was the dude on the deck screaming into his phone nightly what a "f---ng" good time he was having.

Explorer

was our very first cruise, we saw some children but we were like you more put off by the adults, fighting over contests(almost fisty cuffs) pushing into the already stuffed elevators, or worse not getting people off before getting on. that was a huge issue for me with a fractured ankle and unable to use stairs tho I tried. ( we were so new we didn't know about insurance and the cruise was a surprise for xmas with going in a month) then there was the dude on the deck screaming into his phone nightly what a "f---ng" good time he was having.

On one of our cruises, we had some obnoxious guy, claiming he was a port authority worker and he acted like he owned the place. Showing some kind of badge, as if he could arrest someone. He was Diamond and he would reserve a whole section of the area used for the Diamond cocktail hours. He stated he had more friends then anybody else and you had to be invited to sit in his area. The more he drank, the more obnoxious he got. One evening our group decided to sit in “his” area. He was none too happy, but, he cooled it after we said those seats were not reserved and we refused to leave and stayed there. The Concierge had a talk with him and he was pretty quiet the rest of the cruise. He also didn’t drink as much. Sometimes you just have to stand up to a bully.

Gwen [emoji3]

I cruise with kids but can respect your desire to have less kids onboard. The problem is Florida departures include people form all over North America and even the world so it can be hard to predict school vacations.Also pre-school ages kids aren't limited at all and even Kindergarten and early grade school parents can ignore school calendars. (We usually do) Longer cruises are of course better but if you are looking for a 5 day cruise I think it is tough to find an ideal time.

We try to avoid these situations. One time on a ship over run with kids is enough for me.

That being said, I don't fault the kids. It's their parents who should be blamed.

Well said, My parents never took us on cruises, but when we traveling they did keep us on a short leash (not an actual leash) and we would not be acting up that is for sure. Some parents just let their kids run wild and figure they don't care its vacation.

The false security of the cell phone has allowed kids today more freedom.

I booked a cruise and did not realize it was over a holiday period.....I was wondering why pricing was more expensive but it was a year+ out and I did not look at the calendar. It's still several months away..but what a great roll call...so I really don't want to cancel it.....I think sometimes that is what makes the cruise. If couples or singles don't mind cruising with families they are far more easy going...just sayin' so less grumpy adults.

We've cruised many holiday periods with teens and young adults(which have included our own) and a recent Aug. 7 day cruise RT out of South Hampton yielded tons of little ones(under 11)....as the cruise was coming to an end, we saw many that were running and having a good time, experienced a few elevators with all the buttons pushed and caught the perpetrators in action, sometimes a simple" we're watching you!" can generate a smile from these mischievous kids.

Explorer

Exact same experience on Explorer. Of all my cruises on Royal, Carnival and Princess, the Explorer was the worst experience by a wide margin.:(

Exact same experience on Explorer. Of all my cruises on Royal, Carnival and Princess, the Explorer was the worst experience by a wide margin.:(

That was out of Bayonne and the pushy adults were way worse than the kids. We are doing a TP on her in 2019 and it should be much different.

You all left something out. Women pushing their infants in strollers! One cruise it was hard to walk because so many strollers were "parked" on the pool deck. And forget trying to get on an elevator when they're there.

That was out of Bayonne and the pushy adults were way worse than the kids. We are doing a TP on her in 2019 and it should be much different.

Yes it was out of Bayonne. I don't understand why you think your future cruise changes the experience I had on Explorer.:confused:

You all left something out. Women pushing their infants in strollers! One cruise it was hard to walk because so many strollers were "parked" on the pool deck. And forget trying to get on an elevator when they're there.

You mean support pets dressed in pink tutu's?

Yes it was out of Bayonne. I don't understand why you think your future cruise changes the experience I had on Explorer.:confused:

Why would you post that? I'm agreeing with you and have had bad experiences on the Explorer myself. My future cruise on her is 33 days from Sydney to Seattle and I'm hoping for a better experience. Re read my post :confused:

Why would you post that? I'm agreeing with you and have had bad experiences on the Explorer myself. My future cruise on her is 33 days from Sydney to Seattle and I'm hoping for a better experience. Re read my post :confused:

The original poster is worried about unruly kids. Many posters pointed out the behavior of unruly adults especially on Explorer out of Bayonne. I added my negative experience on Explorer as well. If you were agreeing with me it was not clear as all you wrote was your experience should be better.

Now you write you hope it will be better not that it should be better, there is a difference . I had no idea you had negative cruises on Explorer. I had no idea you were sailing Explorer in the future. I now see you are comparing your past Explorer cruises to your future one. Now that you are clear, I understand your point.

I am glad Explorer left Bayonne and we have Anthem, as I have not experienced misbehaved adults on my two Anthem cruises.

Yes, there surely will be. I am not sure why it matters WHY they are unruly (naturally evil, parent fault, cause they wear purple underwear?) Who cares...that really doesn't matter at all. If they are ...they are. Having said that... we took an Anthem spring break cruise and yes there were PLENTY of kids of all natures. If you want to avoid them stay clear of the seaplex and that general area. You will find them in packs riding the elevators 20 at a time. You will find them around the pool deck at night. Believe me...they prefer to stay away from you as much as you want to stay away from them. Besides the elevator I only saw them in passing. The solarium is a great place to be as well.

I'm on Anthem right now and it's pretty miserable. Lots of people drunk on the stairs, whooping it up, lots of crowded areas with people pushing strollers.

We had a bunch of bratty 40ish women acting like the mini bus to the beach was their personal taxi, trying to order us off

We encountered many pushy, rude people this time around. The kids were better than the adults. This is our second time on Anthem. There won't be a third time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I'm on Anthem right now and it's pretty miserable. Lots of people drunk on the stairs, whooping it up, lots of crowded areas with people pushing strollers.

We had a bunch of bratty 40ish women acting like the mini bus to the beach was their personal taxi, trying to order us off

We encountered many pushy, rude people this time around. The kids were better than the adults. This is our second time on Anthem. There won't be a third time.

Sorry to hear this. We cruised in early March of 2016 on Anthem and it was not like that at all.:loudcry: You just never know anymore,

Sorry to hear this. We cruised in early March of 2016 on Anthem and it was not like that at all.:loudcry: You just never know anymore,
We're from Bayonne & love the convenience, but this feels like a frat party. People were coming to blows over the t-shirt sale!

We're on Majesty in January & Adventure's move to Bayonne in May. I'm looking forward to both.

Well said, My parents never took us on cruises, but when we traveling they did keep us on a short leash (not an actual leash) and we would not be acting up that is for sure. Some parents just let their kids run wild and figure they don't care its vacation.
It's actually the parents that WON'T parent that I am most concerned about.