Cruise to the Eastern Caribbean now going to the Western Caribbean?

Howie411

Booked a cruise on the Oasis Dec 2nd to the Eastern Caribbean. (Hati, St Maarten, and San Juan) RC just updated their website and looks like they are giving updates about a month out, but the 11/5 cruise has already be adjusted to the Western Caribbean (Nassau, Cozumel, and Costa Maya).

Is RC doing anything to compensate for these changes? (I know the Eastern Caribbean is typically more expensive then Western Cruises.) And since I've been to Nassau and Cozumel multiple times that just isn't as exciting as going to a new place.

Also please don't start the you should be grateful you weren't on these island that were destroyed comments. Yes I feel bad for everyone who lived/lives on the islands that were damaged, but there isn't anything I can do about that. So I'm not trying to be selfish, I just want my vacation that was planned over a year ago to be what it was supposed to.

Booked a cruise on the Oasis Dec 2nd to the Eastern Caribbean. (Hati, St Maarten, and San Juan) RC just updated their website and looks like they are giving updates about a month out, but the 11/5 cruise has already be adjusted to the Western Caribbean (Nassau, Cozumel, and Costa Maya).

Is RC doing anything to compensate for these changes? (I know the Eastern Caribbean is typically more expensive then Western Cruises.) And since I've been to Nassau and Cozumel multiple times that just isn't as exciting as going to a new place.

Also please don't start the you should be grateful you weren't on these island that were destroyed comments. Yes I feel bad for everyone who lived/lives on the islands that were damaged, but there isn't anything I can do about that. So I'm not trying to be selfish, I just want my vacation that was planned over a year ago to be what it was supposed to.

What do you want?

I know what you mean. Feel bad for all those affected in the islands as they have lost so much. However this is a long saved for trip. The excursions in Nassau and Falmouth are also so much more expensive. We should have been going to St. Maarten and San Juan and the trips were fairly reasonable.

I dunno I'd settle for an onboard credit for the difference in port fees etc. I mean they are completely changing the itinerary, people book cruises to go to specific locations.

If the port taxes are different, you will get a credit to your onboard account. This is automatic, you don't have to request it.

We are also on the December 3 Oasis Cruise. Check Royal again. It’s back to Eastern Caribbean, the original ports. Hope it stays that way.

I don't think it ever said a new literary for the Dec 3rd Cruise yet. I was going based on the Nov 5th one which is the latest they have updated.

I don't think it ever said a new literary for the Dec 3rd Cruise yet. I was going based on the Nov 5th one which is the latest they have updated.

They never showed it as an updated itinerary, it was just changed to western on their website. Now it’s back to Eastern.

Looks like RC will not compensate those of us who only chose to go on this cruise due to the ports/itinerary. RC figures they rather keep your money and force you to go on an unwanted cruise versus you getting your money back and purchasing several cruises from them in the future.

Looks like RC will not compensate those of us who only chose to go on this cruise due to the ports/itinerary. RC figures they rather keep your money and force you to go on an unwanted cruise versus you getting your money back and purchasing several cruises from them in the future.

Sorry but all cruise lines do this. Hurricane or storm hits then changed or missed ports happen. Over the yrs I've had changes on at least dozen cruises. Happens..

That's the chance you take with any cruiseline, not just this one. You agreed to it when you paid in full

That's the chance you take with any cruiseline, not just this one. You agreed to it when you paid in full

Yes, the RCI cruise contract allows then to change the itinerary/ports for any reason. A change due to hurricane damage certainly is a necessary reason (and beyond RCI’s control).

Here is the legal wording from the Cruise Ticket Contract

6. CANCELLATION, DEVIATION OR SUBSTITUTION BY CARRIER:a. Carrier may for any reason at any time and without prior notice, cancel,advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing, port of call, destination,lodging or any activity on or off the Vessel, or substitute another vessel or portof call, destination, lodging or activity. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below,Carrier shall not be liable for any claim whatsoever by Passenger, including butnot limited to loss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation,advancement, postponement, substitution or deviation.b. In connection with a CruiseTour, Carrier has the same right to cancel, advance,postpone or deviate from any scheduled activity, departure or destination,or substitute another railcar, bus, destination or lodging or other componentof the CruiseTour. Except as provided in Section 6(e) below, Carrier shall notbe liable for any claim by Passenger whatsoever, including but not limited toloss, compensation or refund, by reason of such cancellation, advancement,postponement, substitution or deviation.c. By way of example, and not limitation, Carrier may, without liability (except asprovided in Section 6(e) with respect to mechanical failures only), deviate fromany scheduled sailing and may otherwise land Passenger and her property atany port if Carrier believes that the voyage or any Passenger or property maybe hindered or adversely affected as a result of hostilities, blockages, prevailingweather conditions, labor conflicts, strikes onboard or ashore, breakdown ofVessel, congestion, docking diffculties, medical or life saving emergencies or anyother cause whatsoever.d. Carrier shall have the right to comply with any orders, recommendations, ordirections whatsoever given by any governmental entity or by persons purportingto act with such authority and such compliance shall not be deemed a breachof this Agreement entitling the Passenger to assert any claim for liability,compensation or refund.e. In the event that a Cruise (or the cruise component of a CruiseTour) is canceledor terminated early due to mechanical failures:i) Passenger shall have a right to a full refund of the Cruise Fare if the Cruise iscanceled in full, or a partial refund if the cruise is terminated early;ii) Carrier may cover or reimburse Passenger for additional costs (e.g. airlinechange fees) as deemed appropriate by the Carrier.iii) If the passenger has travelled to the Vessel Passenger shall have a right totransportation (by means selected by the Carrier to the Vessel’s scheduled port ofdisembarkation or the Passenger’s home city; andiv) Passenger shall have a right to lodging (selected by the Cruise Line) ifdisembarkation and an overnight stay in an unscheduled port are required dueto the Cruise or cruise component of a CruiseTour being cancelled or terminatedearly because of such mechanical failures.

1) I didn't read the fine print

2) a small deviation is fine...maybe st. thomas to st kitts...not st marteen to MEXICO

I have nothing against mexico but that's like the last place in the world i want to go. Don't you guys watch Narcos?

Edited by RonMexico1982

pretty sure when Carnival rerouted from Baltimore to Halifax instead of the Caribbean they offered compensation.

They can always offer compensation, and it would be great to the individual if they did, but thinking you are owed compensation won't get much sympathy here.

The cruise lines do not make these changes lightly, and do their best. In the end, if they have to arrange ports due to a hurricane causing problems, then just be happy you are on your cruise. If you want to go to a specific port, or ports, then you need to book a vacation where you fly to that port, or book a private yacht where you can control where it goes. There is no guarantee that a certain port will happen.

For something like this, your insurance will pay out. If you got insurance that covered changes to ports, then you get paid, if you didn't, then you still get paid, but it is from your own bank account since you self insured.

No compensation. You will have the same number of port stops. Two years ago we had an Eastern become a Western the night prior to sailing. That left little time for (private) excursion planning . Many did not know of the change until boarding. You are lucky to have the advanced notice.

If you have cancellation insurance - you can check with the insurance company about cancelling.

good luck

M

I have nothing against mexico but that's like the last place in the world i want to go. Don't you guys watch Narcos?

Seriously? I'm assuming you've been to Mexico and not enjoyed it, but I'm just going to throw this out there - there's a LOT to do there, and SOME people enjoy Mexico. Hope you enjoy your cruise wherever you end up. ;)

We, too, are sailing Dec 2nd (Harmony). Royal had changed the website to show Falmouth and Nassau instead of San Juan and St. Maarten for our sailing, but it has now changed back as of today. We will have a great time no matter where they take us, though I do with they would just make up their mind and leave it.

We're on the December 3rd sailing for Oasis also. My only concern is that the different itinerary has a different order of sea days and my cousin is getting married on the first sea day. I hope that if the sea day order changes, they also change her event date so that it doesn't overlap a port of call. I'm waiting to bring this up with her until they publish an update in November.